leabassett@sbcglobal.net

Lift Assist

leabassett@sbcglobal.net

Is there a lift assist spring for a snow plow blade for a 312-8? I know John Deere has them for the 212 and such.

• Like 1

JCM

I bought a 48'' dozer blade for a 1989  312-8 new and still have it and it did not come with one.

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, JCM said:

I bought a 48'' dozer blade for a 1989  312-8 new and still have it and it did not come with one.

Is there a way to use maybe a lighter duty version of the snowblower assist spring?

Handy Don
13 hours ago, leabassett@sbcglobal.net said:

Is there a lift assist spring for a snow plow blade for a 312-8? I know John Deere has them for the 212 and such.

A couple of us have made a guide that helps keep the snowplow blade centered (mine is pictured below).

I suspect you could add an adjustable spring to this setup to “lighten” the blade, but the trade-off would be reduced down-pressure on the blade for scraping the snow.

Your question brings us to why many folks prefer a hydro (for lift and motion) when snow plowing!

image.png.c82ffeea04adfccbf5d5ce6844b2425e.png

Edited by Handy Don
  • Excellent 1

JCM

IMO I never had the need for an assist spring on the 312 with 48'' blade. That was also back in the early 90's. Now it's hydraulic and or electric lift.

• Like 1

leabassett@sbcglobal.net

I can lift it OK now but would like to know if there is a way to lighten it up some, I am thinking it will be a lot heavier when it is covered in wet snow :rolleyes:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, leabassett@sbcglobal.net said:

I can lift it OK now but would like to know if there is a way to lighten it up some, I am thinking it will be a lot heavier when it is covered in wet snow :rolleyes:

That's definitely true. 

Keeping the front of the plow clean and freshly painted helps. 

Also there are sprays or waxes which can be used.  

De-snow-erizers, if you will.   

wallfish

No reason why a spring assist couldn't be added like the blowers use. Probably doesn't need as much tension as the blower does.

Personally, I like the weight on the blade and even added more to mine plus a solid link for down pressure by pushing on the handle. Wondering if it's connected to the outer most hole on the rock shaft. That would make it "heavy". You can gain mechanical advantage by moving the connection point closer to the fulcrum. Closer in to the shaft.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1