Howie

Super Duty Pontiacs

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Howie said:

swiss cheese

Thanks for posting this. 

I've found these Swiss cheese cars to be interesting ever since I had the rare pleasure of seeing one in person at the former Yankee Candle Auto Museum in Deerfield MA a few decades ago. 

Very interesting racers.  

ri702bill

Back in the days of Factory Backed race teams - purpose built cars. Like the Ford Thunderbolts of that era...

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 2

Sailman

Very cool post, Thanks! Where did the "swiss cheese" name originate from? Wish I still had my '65 Pontiac GTO with 389 C.I., 4 barrel carb (no 6 pack) and Muncie 4 speed designed by John Delorean. :(

Was the 421 built from the same block? Had no idea Pontiac was producing these.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Sailman said:

Where did the "swiss cheese" name originate from?

Those cars had holes cut and drilled strategically in the frame to reduce weight for racing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@ri702bill  agree with you on the thunderbolts !  they were just in a different league , remember when TASCA FORD , would come to the Connecticut drag way  , bob tasca  would be driving a red 427 cobra ,leading the race team to the pits . incredible tuned exhaust headers. always a fan of " THE OLD RELIABLE "  Chevrolet , if you are ever in Scottsdale Arizona, stop at the , ROGER PENSKEY AUTO WORLD CAR DEALERSHIP , THE RACE RELATED CAR / ENGINES  , from back in  the day  will have you  in heaven  . their hi end cars ,  BUGATTI , FERRARI , LOMBORGINI , ROLLS ROYCE , ASTON MARTIN , PORSCHE , WILL HAVE YOU GOING NUTS . also has a test track on site , pete 

Treepep
16 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Those cars had holes cut and drilled strategically in the frame to reduce weight for racing. 

Ya learn something new every day if you are paying attention.  Thanks @ebinmaine!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill

The classic NHRA weight to cubic inch ratio used to define which class the car would run in. The Pontiac was a tad heavy for the class, that "allowed" them to lighten the car. Most of the factory program cars had aluminum front fenders and trunk lids, and fiberglass bumpers & hoods.

Anyone familiar with the failed Hertz rental program in 1967 and 1968 featuring big block Ford Mustang GT350H models?? It was SUPPOSED to be an upscale rental with lilited cars at major Airports throughout the country. Seems that model Mustang had the optimum weight to cubic inch ratio for a Stock class - the Hertz "Rent-a-Racer" was born.

I recall only about 100 cars made, either black with gold stripes, or gold with black stripes. Most got rented not as weekly businessman's drivers, but as weekend warriors doing battle on the 2 lane asphalt aisle. MANY were returned to the Airport on Mondays with blown-up engines !!! :confusion-shrug:

A great story from the late Automotive Editior from Motor Trend, Brock Yates, about renting one at Newark New Jersey while their group was campaining a car at the Summernationls in Englishtown. Their racecar was a similar car, they tossed a rod, but won in qualifying. Hmmmm, why not go rent a Hertz car, switch motors??.

They went on that weekend to WIN their class with the "borrowed" engine (which also tossed a rod at the finish line) ... Switch motors one more time, drag the remnants of the Hertz car back on Monday...  True story.

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

peter lena

@Howie    just snooping around , found this , back in the day , scary today , a turbo 4 , would be right there , pete

• Like 1

Tractorhead

What beauties 😍

Howie

With all the holes stamped in the frame they were kind of flimsy. The story is they used 2x4"s to keep them rigid enough

to not damage them on the line. With no roll bars in these cars then most were replaced with the standard frame due to 

too much flex. They were doing everything they could to get the weight down on them. I have seen an aluminum frame

that was made but never made it under a car.  The Chrysler unibody cars were so much lighter everyone else was trying

to get weight off their cars.

Howie

Another part of the Pontiac Super Duty story is prior to '62 the Ssd parts were shipped in the trunk and had

to be installed by the end user. NHRA put a stop to that, cars had to be built completely at the factory.

• Like 1