Mtndewlover

Gt 1100 Help!

Mtndewlover

Been a member for a long while but this is my first time posting. My Father has a 417-A and I believe C series (can't remember off the top of my head but it's from the early 80s) so needless to say they got me into wheel horses and I've wanted my own ever since... Fast forward 15 years later and my wife's late grandfather passed an old GT 1100 down to us. The poor thing sat in his front yard for atleast 8 years... Probably longer going off how old the zeroturn he got to replace it was 👎. Finally got around to messing with it and so far we have spark! Looks like he replaced the throttle cable with an aftermarket unit, the cable is too long and hangs up when trying to choke, my local toro dealer said it's no longer available but did give me the part #109132 I've found one website that offers it but says it's "on order" with no eta... Any suggestions? I'm also trying to find a carb kit, spraying some gogo juice in her got her going but there multiple places on the carb leaking... One of which is a bronze colored ball on the side!? Sorry for the long post and for those that stuck around thanks for reading! If you have any tips, tricks or suggestions that would be much appreciated! 

Snapchat-1195942712.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Our resident Briggs guy @Docwheelhorse Tony might be able to help you out here. 

What's at the engine end of the throttle cable? If it's a Z bend it can be trimmed to length and the Z re-done. 

The carb kit may be available from an aftermarket parts vendor. Contact K and B Horse parts and/or A to Z Tractor in PA.  Both are in our Vendors Section. 

I have a good multi brand small engine repair shop near me as well. Some places like that could be helpful.  

• Like 4

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  congrats on your family heirloom!  It looks pretty alright considering it’s been outdoors so long!

• Like 1

Pullstart

This link will be quite helpful with general STUFF on the tractor.  One thing to consider is that water most likely WILL BE in the transmission.  That’ll need to be addressed soon.  Otherwise, a good grease job will go a long way.  Make sure the front axle is hanging by means of jacking the frame up while greasing the front end.  It’ll allow the slick stuff to get to where it’s most needed.

• Thanks 1

Mtndewlover

Thank you everyone for your help! @ebinmaine It is a z bend but both times I've cut and re bent the cable has gotten hung up and bends when going full choke....

@Pullstart I have seen some use 80/90 and others 140 weight for the trans? 

It's hard to see in the picture (I'll take some more once the weather allows!) but there is a pipe coming off what I believe is the engine oil drain plug? was that factory or something he added for convenience? seems to be leaking pretty good and I'm more of a keep it factory type of guy! 

Again thank you everyone for the input!

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Mtndewlover said:

Thank you everyone for your help! @ebinmaine It is a z bend but both times I've cut and re bent the cable has gotten hung up and bends when going full choke....

I'm not familiar with how those are set up so take this with a grain of salt....

Is it possible the Z that you're making is not quite tight enough and the tip is catching somewhere?

Is it possible that the cable is bent somewhere else?

Is that cable too long and not able to follow a correct path?

Just tossing some ideas out there.... 

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Mtndewlover said:

some use 80/90 and others 140 weight for the trans

If that's a regular old 8-speed like everything else uses you just want some sort of inexpensive gear oil in there. 

Mtndewlover

I cut the cable down a little, but much more and it's going to be a tight fit.... I was able to work the throttle up to choke and down to idle a couple of times but eventually it starts to hang up and bend the cable... I'm sure my Z bending skills aren't the best but my dad bent it once as well with the same results. wondering if the cable is routed properly at this point, haven't found any clear pictures online to go off of so I'm doing it the same way her grandfather had it.

ebinmaine

Check this out!

Wild Bill 633

@Mtndewlover FYI, there are tools to make the z bend such as Stens 750-455 and Hangar 9 HAN119 z-bender pliers.

kdeatrick

@Mtndewlover, I have about 7 GT series work horse tractors. I use 3 of them weekly at different properties. Another is restored like or better than new and is retired.

I am have the same issue finding a throttle cable an am trying to find the exact length of a new one. I roughly measured it and it appears to be 38" I might have found a few candidates to purchase and try. One is an MTD. I'll let you know what I find out. If not I'm going to get the bender tool and try it. Same issue you've had with it catching when put to full choke.

Below are a few of the restored GT1142

large.20160711_163906.jpg.c73635094a6c71c0f7266013390ba086.jpglarge.20161024_135107.jpg.148cfd21e4019febf47cb831b7ec10c0.jpglarge.20161024_135043.jpg.dd94429119b303dd4ace14486a3e3c4a.jpglarge.20170530_023756.jpg.cb3bd8359c561382e649318c18fd2cfa.jpg

Edited by kdeatrick
  • Excellent 1

kdeatrick

@Mtndewlover, 

I wanted to follow up and let you know I found a Throttle/Choke Cable to worked very well with only a little grinding on the handle stem to make the knob fit.

Look for "CUB CADET 946-04830B Throttle/Choke Cable 38" on Amazon CUB CADET 946-04830B Throttle/Choke Cable 38" RZT S54 S50 S46 S42 L54 L50 L46 L42 KH

It even has the detent to know when you push up above for the choke.

• Like 1