Thegearhead0324

Sickle Bar’s

Thegearhead0324

Very random, but it’s been quite a while since I’ve seen any posts about sickle bar finds or pictures or restores. Are there any left? Too cool of an attachment. 

Wondering if I should start a “Sickle Saturday+Sunday.” 

Edited by Thegearhead0324
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
6 hours ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

Too cool of an attachment. 

Agreed... I have a project one that I should finnish. Problem is I might need a dedicated tractor to mount it on. Not that I am not up for another score but on the fence what would be the best model. I have a RJ front mount as well and should get it operational but do display it at shows. 

20170719_191017.jpg

20190225_200226.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

Thegearhead0324

@WHX?? Gotta keep em going. Should find a good score for that side mount. That front mount is nice. 

It took a lot to get mine in shape, twice. The only issue with mine is on the wobble box body there’s a lip that the handle catches to lift up and down. Well mine is flattened out from previous abuse so I have a chain from the handle to the bar. It bothers me. But it is what it is. In the end, was well worth the time and energy. 

Kinda wanted to make a designated thread for all our sickle bar mowers for pics and some history and stuff. Even for the Haban sickle mowers as well. 

@wheelhorseman @Lane Ranger would enjoy input from you. 

Edited by Thegearhead0324
  • Like 2

Pullstart

I adapted one to fit.  It worked great, until it didn’t.  I think it moved too fast and mostly self destructed.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

moe1965

There is a side mount near where I live it has been listed twice on marketplace asking 600.00 with a wheel horse with a blower Briggs.   I have two of them I really not interested in another at that price.  I keep watching for price to go down

• Like 1

cafoose

I have an SMS-50 for a 953/1054 that I need some parts for to get it working. I need the rear mount where it attaches near the rear axle. Also need the pulleys and clutching mechanism for the belt. I may need other parts as well. If anyone knows where I can get the parts or has measurements to make them I'd appreciate it :banana-wrench:I'm getting a 953 to mount it on from @953 nut when he gets off his :wh: and digs it out for me :ychain:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44
10 hours ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

Too cool of an attachment. 

Wondering if I should start a “Sickle Saturday+Sunday.” 

Great thread idea!
I definitely would love to have one. 
When I was first getting in to Garden Tractors, I found most of a Hasban made for a Sears GT at a scrap yard. Once I realized it would have taken a fair amount to retrofit to a WH, it went $ to a Sears GT fan. 

• Like 1

Thegearhead0324

Same pics I’ve used before, different looks. Need to take an updated pic but mines the 1312 model (50”) on my 1257. Definitely shakes my teeth. 

IMG_0207.jpeg

IMG_0153.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

ri702bill

Now THAT one takes "Trolling for Gophers" to the next level !! Well done.

IMG_0207.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

kpinnc

If I had one, I'd wear it completely out. I'd cut hay in my back pasture with it! 

Then I'd need a tedder and bailer! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thegearhead0324

@Racinbob very nice unit! Same situation with mine 6 years ago. I was huntin all over the place for one. Craigslist, marketplace, even eBay and on here. Finally I gave up and just put a want ad on this forum. I kid you not a week later an older gentleman messaged me and before I knew it I had myself a sickle bar, 3 hours away. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

c-series don

I don’t have anything to cut with mine, I have it because I am a Wheel Horse collector and it is a rare piece. I will say that occasionally when I see a wheat field or tall rye I think “Man, I’d like to cut that with my sickle bar!” 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Thegearhead0324

So I haven’t seen much about the Haban 414?… I think the model is, wondering if they are as good/better than the original WH ones? 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
21 hours ago, cafoose said:

I'm getting a 953 to mount it on from @953 nut when he gets off his :wh: and digs it out for me

I've about finished the Eaton 1100 transaxle swap into the GT-14 so parts and pieces are out of the way. Let me know when you are ready to come get the 953.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I've about finished the Eaton 1100 transaxle swap into the GT-14 so parts and pieces are out of the way. Let me know when you are ready to come get the 953.

Hoping there will be an as-built thread on that project. 

CasualObserver

Does anyone have pictures or measurements of the mounting bracket for the SMS 50 on a 953?  (or a spare? :huh:)

Not the forked one above, I'm looking for this one...

Screenshot_20220520-211050_Drive.jpg

I need it to go with this crusty project.....

20210829_160215.jpg

20210829_211918.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

cafoose

:text-yeahthat: That's mainly what I need for mine. Also need 102 :banana-wrench: @Lane Ranger has one on a 953/1054 I believe. Maybe he can provide some measurements and :text-coolphotos:

Edited by cafoose

Thegearhead0324

So who else here has a sickle bar they gotta git done?? 

davem1111
On 5/6/2023 at 6:34 AM, Thegearhead0324 said:

So who else here has a sickle bar they gotta git done?? 

I don't have one, but I'd love to get my hands on one even if it's a fixer-upper....  or even just rent one... I've got 10-15 acres of pasture that needs to be mowed. I used to borrow a neighbor's Ford & brush hog, but he put spiked steel wheels on it to deal with all the locust thorns, and it's not "road friendly" any more. 

John2189

Here is my mower on my 656. I put oil in the wobble box and it ran out as fast as I could put it in, so I rebuilt it with new bushings and seal. All good now. 

IMG_0366.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Thegearhead0324

Been a while, but anyone else have any sickle bars out there in the WH world? 

• Like 1

gt14rider

To many projects this one is all most complete, gear box gear's need to be replaced. Gearbox  was sitting half full of water. One of these days. :USA:

20200227_132950.jpg

20200228_200458.jpg

20200228_163457.jpg

20200301_175903.jpg

20200301_180009.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1