Crazy8

New to the Wheel Horse world!

Crazy8

Guys the more I dig into this the more I'm wondering what I really have here. I'm trying to identify the transmission and then tie that back to what model and year it may be. I don't trust that the dash panel with the ID tag and ammeter hasn't been changed at some point. The transmission clearly has 1" axles, I put the dial verniers on them. According to the transmission repair manual # 492-4004 in section V the only reference to 1" axles is on page # 51 where it references "8 speed 4 pinion differential - 1" axles" then it says ( used in 5086 transmission ). Pages 4, 4a, 4b is a table of transmission usage giving the year, tractor model, and transmission # used. You have to go back to 1973 before you see a 5086 transmission used or forward to 1980 in a model called 1100 special. I guess the only thing I can say for sure is that it's definately an 8 speed manual transmission with 1" axles and it has a K301 12 HP engine in it. When it comes time to change the axle bearings and seals and maybe the shaft, I'll worry more about it then.

• Like 2

Crazy8

A couple pics of the first horse in the barn.

20230420_192607.jpg

20230421_181424.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Looks pretty good from here!  :greetings-waveyellow:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
52 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Looks pretty good from here!  :greetings-waveyellow:

:text-yeahthat:

1 hour ago, Crazy8 said:

identify the..... 

@c-series don seems to have quite a liking for the type of  tractor that you have in your possession. 

He may chime in, amongst others.  

I'd say what you have there is a 1978 or 79 C121.  

I'd also say it's reasonable to assume that your transmission has been swapped out at some point for an 80s vintage from (likely) a 310 or 312.  

They had the smaller axles and 4 pinion differential.  

Those transmissions are perfectly fine in their own right but because the heavier duty 8 speeds are so readily available I probably would not rebuild the one with the one inch axles.

Throw an ad up in our wanted section for an 8-speed to fit that. Likely one of us has one or will come up with one, fairly close to you that they could sell.

Rebuild that while the tractor is still running and drivable. Then when done, swap it in.

That's a very very nice tractor from the appearance of the pictures that you posted and it certainly deserves the attention that you could give it.

• Like 2

WHX??
6 hours ago, Crazy8 said:

Indian Roadmaster 

:text-worthless:

Chances are the axle is ok as it is hardened where the bearing rides. Be careful of the bandaid on the bullet wound might mess it up tho. 

8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

:ROTF:Damn it Jim I'm halfway there..... 

Don't forget we don't count parts tractors and non runners. I been known to take the plug wire off a runner just to get it by SWMBO...:lol:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Don't forget we don't count parts tractors and non runners. I been known to take the plug wire off a runner just to get it by SWMBO...:lol:

I needa remember that.   

Crazy8

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to enjoy this forum. I just ordered a brake lining from Bob Maynard on this site! Thanks for the praise Eric. It is a real nice tractor and once I get all the mechanicals taken care of I'll work on spiffing it up some more. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Crazy8 said:

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to enjoy this forum. I just ordered a brake lining from Bob Maynard on this site! Thanks for the praise Eric. It is a real nice tractor and once I get all the mechanicals taken care of I'll work on spiffing it up some more. 

You'll be just fine. 

Don't sweat the actual numbers of the tractor. 

There's a very good supply of parts. 

FYI.  Sooommme of us have a SERIOUS tendency to go off topic. 

@WHX?? @Pullstart 

Hey!! A shiny squirrel !!!! 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I like squirrels.  I like rabbits and deer more though.  I love all animals.  There’s room for most all of ‘em on the smoker!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Rob J.

Speaking of going off topic. I like the name you chose. My eBay name is chiefcrazy8s. See I’m a KC Chiefs fan and my favorite player’s number is 88. As for the crazy part, that’s self explanatory. What were you guys talking about again? I forgot…….welcome to the crazy, speaking for myself of course. 😬😉😜😂🤪

• Like 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: @Crazy8 to :rs:

Fine looking tractor!!!

• Like 1

Crazy8

Crazy8 was the vanity plate for my Mazda RX-8. Fantastic rotary engine sports car.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

What any of these tractors left the factory as after 50 years is always debatable. So you have a nameplate and transmission that indicate a C81. And a re-decayed hood and engine that would be a C81.  My moneys on the C81 nameplate. Don’t sell the 8speed 4 pinion 1” axle transmission short. I have a c81 and a 312-8 with 1” axles. The 312 mainly gets mowing duty. But the C81 had had its share of dirt dozing, grading and boat trailer pulling work. Not many spare WH parts in my area so I rebuild what I have if needed. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
On 4/25/2023 at 8:38 PM, wallfish said:

:WRS:

You seem to have a handle on things so far.

There are few us close by to Winchendon. We typically run in to each other at some of the local engine shows. The closets shows to you are the Orange show in June. Bernardston is Memorial Day weekend

@Crazy8

The Orange Mass Engine Show is ON !!

June 24, 25. 

c-series don

@Crazy8I believe what you have there is a C-81 that someone repowered with a 12hp. If that were a C-121 it would have headlights, also (not that it matters) the hood decals are on backwards. Still a nice looking tractor! Good luck with it! As @ebinmaine knows the 78-79 C-series are some of my favorite tractors. 

Edited by c-series don
  • Like 2

wallfish
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The Orange Mass Engine Show is ON !!

Never been because it's always the same weekend as the big show down in PA but I'm told it's a good one

• Like 1

Crazy8

Dam I'd like to go to the Engine show in Orange but I'll be on the Indian at Lake Placid that weekend.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Never been because it's always the same weekend as the big show down in PA but I'm told it's a good one

Last time I was there was maybe late 90s, early 2000s.  Been a bit.  

I understand it's been doing well the last few years. 

I'll be staying right around the corner from the grounds. 

Looking forward to seeing how things have changed and/or grown.  

Crazy8

Cruze thru Athol. It has changed quite a bit, especially along rte 2A just east of the high school.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, Crazy8 said:

Cruze thru Athol. It has changed quite a bit, especially along rte 2A just east of the high school.

Loaded up with houses is it?

Ain't been thataway in a month of Sundays.