Crazy8

New to the Wheel Horse world!

Crazy8

Correction, I meant to say based on bore diameter it would be a K301 12 HP

• Like 5

WHX??

:WRS: Crazy.

You found the right  place for your info about your horse. Only thing you need to know about us is we like :text-coolphotos:. You need manuals we got em. 

15 hours ago, Crazy8 said:

Never knew there was a whole community out there dedicated to WH's.

Here too back in '15 when I joined.

Sounds like you got a handle on treating it right. 

You mentioned ATF. Is this a hydro? 

Nevermind you also mentioned shifter boot. 

We are going to have to have you check the outboard transmission bearings if it leaks that bad. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:

Great introduction and glad to have you with us. Before you replace that axle seal you probably should jack up the rear-end and see if there is any play in the axle. A bit of in/out is to be expected but up/down or front/rear indicates a bad axle bearing. 

• Like 2

JCM

:text-welcomeconfetti:to    :rs::thumbs:

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

:text-welcomeconfetti: Wheel Horse tractors are just like peanuts, you can't have just one. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:    

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Welcome!

Winchendon Mass?

I'm from right there nearby in Athol originally. Maine now. 

• Like 2

wallfish

You seem to have a handle on things so far.

There are few us close by to Winchendon. We typically run in to each other at some of the local engine shows. The closets shows to you are the Orange show in June. Bernardston is Memorial Day weekend

• Like 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Orange show in June

Haven't had any luck confirming that's happening this year.  

If anyone hears such please lemme know. 

We'll be down to Athol that weekend anyhoooo.   

• Like 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, wallfish said:

You seem to have a handle on things so far.

There are few us close by to Winchendon. We typically run in to each other at some of the local engine shows. The closets shows to you are the Orange show in June. Bernardston is Memorial Day weekend

Only a short couple hours to Jim's place in Maine too.  

Great gathering in September.  

Achto

gwest_ca

Added your numbers to the serial list. There is a mistake in the 617 build date and not the first time it has shown up. It should have four digits and is the Julian build date.

Click on the fuzzy picture

• Like 1

Crazy8

Wow what a welcome! And thanks for the input. I thought I had found a fair bit of info on-line for manuals and such but Wow it looks like Gwest sent me a Mother Load of info. I will definately check that axle bearing for play. If it's bad I suppose the tranny needs to come out and you have to split the case to replace it?? Believe it or not the one thing that is being a pain right now is the throttle cable. I can't seem to figure out how it's supposed to be routed to the engine or how it's supposed to connect to the pivoting lever thing which is connected to the govenor by a solid rod with e-clip. If anyone can shed some light or pictures of how it's supposed to look that would be great, and yes I need to be better in attaching pics. I'll get some today. Oh one more question for now. Can you share a short list of go-to web sites or other sources for parts? If I go to some of the OEM type sources the prices are CRAZY. I found Isavetractors.com. Norman does a nice job with his videos but I guess he is mainly a source for engine parts. I do have a key switch, air filter and set of points on the way from him.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Crazy8 said:

axle bearing for play. If it's bad I suppose the tranny needs to come out and you have to split the case to replace it??

Yeah you will have to remove the transmission and break it open.

Is demonstrated in your first post that you should be capable of identifying the opposite ends of a wrench 🔧 or screwdriver 🪛 so you would be fine doing that job. Plenty of tutorials. Several of us have been into a few transmissions over the last few years.

9 minutes ago, Crazy8 said:

OEM type sources the prices are CRAZY

About the only thing I buy OEM on purpose nowadays is the case gasket for when you split the transmissions.

Other than that I have a long standing habit of trying to identify a part number and finding that piece for the least price I can. Sometimes local brick and mortar. Sometimes online.

@squonk is a great source for NAPA part numbers if you have one of their stores handy.

A quick search on this site and you will often find several part numbers of what it is you're looking for.

isavetractors is a GREAT source of information... and I like Norm as a person but his prices are rarely the lowest.

• Like 3

wallfish

Correct, trans would need to split to replace bearings.

Cable swivel to connect wire to that lever.

Yes, parts cost are getting crazy.

http://www.psep.biz/index.htm

Isavetractors is a great source for quality parts. Especially their replacement carbs

az2361.jpg

post-4321-0-35435700-1348016262.jpg

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Pullstart

@Crazy8 :text-welcomeconfetti: and congrats on the Mo-chine you got there!

Did I miss the :banana-gotpics:

• Like 2

WHX??
2 hours ago, Crazy8 said:

Can you share a short list of go-to web sites or other sources for parts?

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/92-vendors/

Ther is also parts to.be had on FB if your so inclined but I prefer the guys I know here. 

After you have a horse or 30 you get the know who to go to for parts. 

• Haha 2

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
57 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

you have a horse or 30

:ROTF:

Damn it Jim I'm halfway there..... 

• Haha 3

Crazy8

Wallfish, excellent pic of the throttle cable connection. I kinda tried to connect it coming from the right side like that but I got the reverse action from the throttle lever. When I raise the lever at the dash (indicating increased engine speed) the core wire in the cable pushes out the end, which pushes the pivoting lever in a counter clockwise direction moving the carb to idle position. Do I have something messed up or do I have the wrong throttle lever unit in the dash?

Crazy8

And by the way I have a looooong way to go to make my machine look like yours, beautiful!

Crazy8

I checked that left side axle bearing and it's definately blown up. That's probably from running with water in the tranny. If the shaft is a mess what are my options for a replacement?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Crazy8 said:

I checked that left side axle bearing and it's definately blown up. That's probably from running with water in the tranny. If the shaft is a mess what are my options for a replacement?

No worries. Really.  

All the bearings, seals and gaskets are available from several sources. 

Good used axles can be had from Lincoln at A to Z Tractor in PA.  

You're good. 

• Like 2

Crazy8

Thanks Eric, I think the tranny rebuild will be this winters project. I only have a small 1 bay garage and the Indian Roadmaster resides in there during the riding season. I won't need to run it very often this summer. I'm thinking I will take a double split shaft collar and make some sort of soft rubber washer and slide the washer up against the bad seal and hold it there with the shaft collar. I hope it will slow the leak enough for now. Kinda bubble gum I know but it will bide me some time until I can tackle the rebuild.

• Like 3