IMG_2689.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

WH1618speed

IMG_2690.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

Achto

I'll jump in for the ride.:popcorn: Looking forward to seeing your progress.

• Like 2

WHX??

I'm in too :popcorn:Be interesting where this project takes ya.

The solid seat pan is taking me back to an 58 or 59 RJ?

Maybe earlier is that a Schaefer recoil?

Damn speller check ✔️ 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

Pullstart

Looks like fun!  Man, I really need to get on my kids for our three RJ’s to get restored before June!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Lane Ranger

You have all the basics!  Go for it! It’s a classic that needs some loving!

You can do it and there is readily available assistance on Red Square Wheel Horse Forum!

F7080BD9-CCD4-4273-9D75-9DAD638BB3C8.jpeg

576E6C57-4E94-4A50-B0D7-EF08E2F92E86.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 5

oliver2-44

Great project!

If those front rims are still laying around, don’t junk them yet. Those specific rims were only used a couple of years and can be hard to find. Several of us have saved some bad looking rims with a mixture of media blasting, welding, fiberglass and JB Weld, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sarthurs01

You wont regret restoring it!

summer horses.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

Mike'sHorseBarn

Looks like a fun project!

• Like 2

WH1618speed

I got the motor off yesterday, I’m looking into setting up a jig of some sort to get it running. I have zero experience with pull start models, so far starting fluid hasn’t done anything. I tried with starting fluid on and off the tractor. I noticed there was a switch there. Maybe that’s the issue? 

• Excellent 1

wallfish

Keep the starting fluid on the shelf and use gas or carb cleaner if you need to prime it.

The small cover on the front and under the carb covers the points. Most likely those point's contacts have oxidized and they will need to be cleaned before getting a spark. Many videos ans such online to show you. It's pretty simple.

If it starts you can choke the carb to shut it off or touch the wire that was going to the kill switch anywhere on the engine. Some have a small button right on the points cover to shut it down too.

I just run them on the bench or right on the ground. No clamps no special jig required. It will only vibrate around a little bit but it's easily controllable. Or just use 2 clamps on the bench table ?

The carb is also most likey going to need a cleaning/rebuild for the engine to run properly

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WH1618speed
3 hours ago, wallfish said:

Keep the starting fluid on the shelf and use gas or carb cleaner if you need to prime it.

The small cover on the front and under the carb covers the points. Most likely those point's contacts have oxidized and they will need to be cleaned before getting a spark. Many videos ans such online to show you. It's pretty simple.

If it starts you can choke the carb to shut it off or touch the wire that was going to the kill switch anywhere on the engine. Some have a small button right on the points cover to shut it down too.

I just run them on the bench or right on the ground. No clamps no special jig required. It will only vibrate around a little bit but it's easily controllable. Or just use 2 clamps on the bench table ?

The carb is also most likey going to need a cleaning/rebuild for the engine to run properly

Yep, I think I’ll take the carb off my 702 and put it on there until i can get ahold of a new one. I also took the head off and the intake valve is rusted pretty good and there is some minor vertical scoring on the cylinder. I haven’t taken a look at the ignition system yet but I will some time. 

WH1618speed

This is gonna be fun 😳

IMG_3657.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

wallfish
4 minutes ago, WH1618speed said:

This is gonna be fun 😳

Yeah, looks fun :ychain: Then you only got another to go after that.

That's too bad the pulley is gone to mother nature but it does leave the option for cutting it to get it off. Those pulleys have the set screw in the groove.

Just be careful not to ruin that original belt guard. Might be worth what the rest of the tractor is.

• Like 1

WH1618speed

My only thing is what am I going to do about getting another pulley if I trash it. Is there any replacements I can buy? I have a deck I’d like to use with it.

Edited by WH1618speed

Handy Don
41 minutes ago, WH1618speed said:

My only thing is what am I going to do about getting another pulley if I trash it. Is there any replacements I can buy? I have a deck I’d like to use with it.

They can be found. Best bet is an ad in the "Classified - Wanted" section of this site that’s clear about what you are looking for (include the picture).

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, WH1618speed said:

That pulley is trashed anyway and basically unusable. Or at least it appears so from the pic but try to get it off whole first. Brian @buckrancher was making them. Not 100% sure if he still is but they are excellent quality and factory spec pulleys.

Cutting the hub off new pulleys and tapping threads into a hole drilled in the groove is also an option. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

The Freightliner Guy
On 3/13/2023 at 5:32 PM, WH1618speed said:

IMG_2690.jpg

Lucky!! mine has a cut hood and faded orange and is kind of a clunker and isnt in as good of shape as yours but i still like it anyways make sure to never cut that hood because it is pretty rare to find a rj with a hood as good as that one Hey you even still have the gear pattern sticker i dont even know what gear is which on mine.:( 

Kollin :)

Edited by The Freightliner Guy
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WH1618speed

Is this the right snow blade for this tractor? This one is “NOS” and it’s near me. The guy advertised it as an RJ blade.

IMG_3664.jpeg

IMG_3665.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

wallfish

Yes, that's an RJ dozer blade. Nice find! Go get it

You would be surprised how well those little tractors push snow

• Excellent 1

WH1618speed
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Yes, that's an RJ dozer blade. Nice find! Go get it

You would be surprised how well those little tractors push snow

Got it! It’s only $200 for that good of shape. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

oliver2-44

@WH1618speed I'm going to jump in your thread as I need some Suburban engine drive pulleys (originally WH 1608 2-1/2" OD x 3/4" ID ) which I think possible were the same ones for the RJ that you need.

So maybe this will help both of us. 

I'm wondering if these cast steel pulleys from Surplus Center could be used. 

Question to ya'll RJ/Suburban guys @WHX?? @Racinbob @Lane Ranger @wallfishand others

Did the WH1608 pulley have a side hub with the set screw in it, or was their no side hub and the set screw was in the bottom of the belt groove?

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Pulleys/Finished-Bore-Pulleys/2-45-OD-3-4-Bore-1-Groove-Pulley-1-BK24-C.axd

If there was no side hub am I thinking correctly that the hub on this surplus Center pulley could be machined off and a set screw added to the bottom of the pulley groove?

Note: The Wh pulley is listed as 2.5" OD and this one is listed as 2.45 OD so it would make the tractor a tiny tiny bit slower. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Racinbob
6 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

@WH1618speed I'm going to jump in your thread as I need some Suburban engine drive pulleys (originally WH 1608 2-1/2" OD x 3/4" ID ) which I think possible were the same ones for the RJ that you need.

So maybe this will help both of us. 

I'm wondering if these cast steel pulleys from Surplus Center could be used. 

Question to ya'll RJ/Suburban guys @WHX?? @Racinbob @Lane Ranger @wallfishand others

Did the WH1608 pulley have a side hub with the set screw in it, or was their no side hub and the set screw was in the bottom of the belt groove?

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Pulleys/Finished-Bore-Pulleys/2-45-OD-3-4-Bore-1-Groove-Pulley-1-BK24-C.axd

If there was no side hub am I thinking correctly that the hub on this surplus Center pulley could be machined off and a set screw added to the bottom of the pulley groove?

Note: The Wh pulley is listed as 2.5" OD and this one is listed as 2.45 OD so it would make the tractor a tiny tiny bit slower. 

I've used Pulleys from Surplus on several occasions including that exact one on my 400. The original had the setscrew in the groove but the Surplus pulley worked fine. Yes. a smaller pulley on the engine will slow things a bit but in this case it's not noticeable. :)

• Like 1