ebinmaine

1975 C160 Automatic Restoration

Handy Don
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Not sure if I'd be more steady one way or the other. I'll try it out. 

One of my bench vises rotates so the jaws can be over the bench. I'd think of mounting the Dremel with a big hose clamp to something clamped in the vise and then make some guides out of scrap wood and clamped to the bench to constrain the axle to straight and level movement. Then bits of sheet metal to shim the axle upward as the slot got deeper. Yeah, a bunch of McGuyvering! :lol::hide:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

bunch of McGuyvering

Nothing at all wrong with that!!

953 nut

:confusion-confused:            Not saying I have ever done this but have you considered slipping an old hub on the axle, locking it down with a set screw, clamping the hub down squarely in your drill press and slowly running a 1/8" drill bit between the hub and the axle then moving up to 3/16" and finishing with a 1/4" drill bit to act as a starter channel. The cast iron hub will be softer and the drill may wander that way but it would remove the bulk of the material and be nice and straight.

I just took an axle to our one and only machine shop for a key way and they said it will be ready in a few days and should be about $ 50.00. With the cost of those dermal cut off wheels I think that is a good buy. 

• Like 4

WHX??
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I just took an axle to our one and only machine shop for a key way and they said it will be ready in a few days and should be about $ 50.00. With the cost of those dermal cut off wheels I think that is a good buy. 

Yes it is Richard...Took one to a shop once. $200 minimum set up charge. :scared-yipes:

I since married a tractor bro who has a mill. :D

• Haha 4

953 nut
6 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

$200 minimum set up charge

Our local shop has several old manual set up milling machines as well as some CNC machines. The operator can set up small single run operations like the axle in between feeding pieces to the CNC monsters. He really enjoys small jobs because feeding pieces to the CNC is just mind numbing.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:confusion-confused:            Not saying I have ever done this but have you considered slipping an old hub on the axle, locking it down with a set screw, clamping the hub down squarely in your drill press and slowly running a 1/8" drill bit between the hub and the axle then moving up to 3/16" and finishing with a 1/4" drill bit to act as a starter channel. The cast iron hub will be softer and the drill may wander that way but it would remove the bulk of the material and be nice and straight.

I can't get anywhere near that kind of a bargain around here. Timing either.

I've been making a few phone calls over the last couple weeks trying to find a machine shop that can do this for me.

Best I can come up with is a 2-month wait time and charges approaching $200 to make a groove in two axles.

That's just not gonna happen.

If I'm not satisfied with the grooves I can make by hand I'll just order a couple of good used axles from Lincoln at A To Z.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
39 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The operator can set up small single run operations like the axle in between feeding pieces to the CNC monsters. He really enjoys small jobs because feeding pieces to the CNC is just mind numbing.

Wait... what...? Actually multi-task to increase productivity, profit and customer satisfaction...? :scared-eek:

Crazy talk...

Not.

Thats great business!!! :clap:

You are fortunate. Perhaps you can spread the word on the shop name / contact info so he gets some :wh: business and folks in your area can get some sorely needed and rapidly disappearing help...

• Like 1

ebinmaine

@daveoman1966 @pfrederi @953 nut 

Okay folks I need your help. Please do mention people you know that are familiar with these hydros if you like.

Over the next few days I'm going to be at the point where we need to clean up the hydro pump and get it repainted and ready for installation.

I have the gasket that goes between this surface and the transmission housing.

IMG_20221221_151521.jpg.f4379f27da12b4296a45f27c8114eb19.jpg

Should I take things apart to check it out? 

OR .... Knowing the tractor runs and drives just fine... 

Just leave it well enough alone?

What comes apart?

Is it O ring or gasket?

Can I still get pre-made parts?

IMG_20221221_151502.jpg

IMG_20221221_151506.jpg

IMG_20221221_151512.jpg

IMG_20221221_151516.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

I’m SURE there will be a variety of opinions on this one. Me? Let well enough alone (as long as you are pretty confident that the work ’til now hasn’t introduced any debris into the hydro).

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

You got a drill press?  Maybe check HF for a drill press vice with an XY table built in.  With an end mill chucked in the drill press and light cuts, this should get you close.

This set up should work with an end mill chucked in the drill press and light cuts.  You might be able to chuck up a 1/4" key way cutter and mandrel and come up with some creative figuring to hold the axle.  Again, light cuts, as heavy side loads on the Morse taper in the spindle might cause it to release the chuck.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

You got a drill press?  Maybe check HF for a drill press vice with an XY table built in.  With an end mill chucked in the drill press and light cuts, this should get you close.

This set up should work with an end mill chucked in the drill press and light cuts.  You might be able to chuck up a 1/4" key way cutter and mandrel and come up with some creative figuring to hold the axle.  Again, light cuts, as heavy side loads on the Morse taper in the spindle might cause it to release the chuck.

I've considered this as an option and bought and end mill bit along with this 40+ year old one.  

IMG_20221212_182935852.jpg.da4238cd0f9b8287ecbb7bde725ff702.jpg

IMG_20221212_182932626.jpg.e56e7da978330f05d12c9dc247eb6d96.jpg

My maternal grandfather was employed at the Union Twist Drill factory back in the 70s.  

The big disadvantage I have is that my drill press is some worn and already has a slight wobble at the chuck.  

Certainly not usable as anything close to an accurate mill.  

• Like 2

ebinmaine

This evening I set up my NOS KD Tools steering wheel puller for the first time. Used it on  the engine drive pulley.  

Took a bit of penetrating oil and some burning mapp gas to convince the pulley it wanted to come off.   

IMG_20221221_200922.jpg.1c3e4326f4385dbcc04c06492850d258.jpg

I removed the paint from it. The Paint Department sprayed it. 

IMG_20221221_200927.jpg.c29a056c3ee200c998a6657ca593d1c4.jpg

I also cleaned up the old Delco Remy ignition coil.  

IMG_20221221_200917.jpg.94debe953b7a181cd63561bd5e74d221.jpg

She'll paint that later. 

Trina got a few more pieces sanded cleaned up and painted too.  

IMG_20221221_200932.jpg

IMG_20221221_200940.jpg

IMG_20221221_200946.jpg

IMG_20221221_200952.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11

I know money is one thing... that may be the only... but why not just replace the ignition coil now? I'm just thinking along the lines of reliability... :eusa-think:

Don

• Confused 1

8ntruck

Another possibility is using a smaller end mill to mill the sides of the key way separately in a couple of passes.  This way the wobble in the chuck would leave 'waves' in walls of the keyway but not leave the key way oversize.  The drawback to that is that it will be be more difficult to keep the centerline of the key way on the center of the axle.

Gotta ask - is that end mill a 1/4" radius, or 1/4" diameter.  The 'R' right after the size caught my eye.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Snoopy11 said:

I know money is one thing... that may be the only... but why not just replace the ignition coil now? I'm just thinking ALONG THE LINES OF RELIABILITY... :eusa-think:

Don

Oh no no no no no.  

A coil on an old machine isn't a maintenance item like a spark plug. 

I'd run a 40 or 50 year old coil instead of a modern garbage pile item.  Every. Time.  

Same with points.  I'd clean old points unless absolutely beyond use.   

(I haven't replaced a set yet!!)

I have a couple spare coils setting too.  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Gotta ask - is that end mill a 1/4" radius, or 1/4" diameter.  The 'R' right after the size caught my eye

I'd have to check for ya.  

Snoopy11
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I have a couple spare coils setting too.

Right right... as do I. I buy mine from DB Electrical... matter of fact I think you told me about them... :D

I have bought some new spark plug wires for old iron engines from Ton's Performance... (ebay if I recall)... they are pretty snazzy wires...

EDIT: Ton's Performance... https://www.ebay.com/str/tonsperformance

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Snoopy11 said:

new spark plug wires

I started making my own a few years ago. Bought a good set of crimpers recommended by @squonk.  

I found a set of NOS cut-to-fit V8 wires on fleeeBay. Made several sets from them. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

I started making my own a few years ago.

That is something that I haven't ever done. I usually buy them from performance shops... both for tractors and the trucks. :rolleyes:

I'd probably have saved myself a couple of Benjamins by now if I did make my own.... :P

Don

• Like 1

davem1111

9 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

That is something that I haven't ever done. I usually buy them from performance shops... both for tractors and the trucks. :rolleyes:

I'd probably have saved myself a couple of Benjamins by now if I did make my own.... :P

Don

I've made my own spark plug wires from a kit before also. Probably 30 years ago or more....  it was easy.  And of course, it was cheaper, that's why I did it. :occasion-clown:

Come to think of it, I should look for one of those kits myself. Some of my problems on one or more tractors could be at least partly because of bad wires.  Best to eliminate that possible culprit early in the game.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

made my own spark plug wires

I have a list of Napa numbers for all the terminals. Wire too. 

Home shop made to length wires is the ONLY way to go.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Home shop made to length wires is the ONLY way to go.  

SOoooo...

out of all the time I have known you....

whyindahellyabeen keepin' dat a secwet fa?????

I seriously rebuilt a Techy HH120 on here... around here... somewhere... ........custom designed an ignition system... and I BOUGHT a spark plug wire??? Dunno what rock I've been living under... :hide:

What else are ya' keepin' from me, Eric? :angry-tappingfoot:

:P

Now I got's to buy some wires and plugs and boots and and and... of my own... :lol:

Don

• Like 1

Pullstart

Climbed out from under my rock and found this thread today. Great work EB and BBT!  Read the whole thing sitting in my tree waiting for a doe :handgestures-thumbupright:  

Multi tasking!  Oh yeah!

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

kpinnc
13 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Right right... as do I. I buy mine from DB Electrical...

Are those coils the ones with internal resistors? I can never find those...

• Like 1

WHX??
14 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I started making my own a few years ago. Bought a good set of crimpers recommended by @squonk.  

I found a set of NOS cut-to-fit V8 wires on fleeeBay. Made several sets from them. 

Thats what Dan and I do... usually run out of ends before wire. Kits we use you don't even need crimpers. 

13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I have a list of Napa numbers for all the terminals. Wire too

:handgestures-thumbupright:

19 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Are those coils the ones with internal resistors? I can never find those...

What?!?!? you ain't lookin KP... any auto parts store or all over the jungle or fleabay. 

Amazon.com : 12v coil with internal resistor

Just read careful ...some listed need an external. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3