oliver2-44

Identify this Coupling

oliver2-44

So I've seen several engine powered ice cream makers that use this stainless steel coupling.  It makes an easy removable connection between the driver shaft and the ice cream maker top gear frame.

In the add they call it a "Love Joy style" but its really different than a Love Joy since it has no rubber  spacer between the to coupling parts.  Seem like I've seen this somewhere else on some slow speed mixer machines.  

any help is appreciated to keep slowly identifying and gathering parts for my ice cream maker build.

https://homeplacemarket.com/collections/all-products/products/love-joy-style-sprocket-7-16-or-3-4-thread-stainless-steel

https://homeplacemarket.com/collections/all-products/products/love-joy-style-sprocket-7-16-or-3-4-thread-stainless-steel

https://homeplacemarket.com/products/hit-miss-style-bearing-and-sprocket-set-for-7-16-shaft-fits-country-immergood-white-mountain-lifetime-ice-cream-freezer

Thanks for your assistance!

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

Pullstart

Do you not use the standard rubber lovejoy for cleanliness purposes?  It sure looks like a pull start or hand start coupling, kicking away after it starts, not for continuous positive engagement.,,

953 nut

This is the Lovejoy Coupler I am familiar with. Like Kevin said the one you referenced would kick out. 

Lovejoy Couplings - Octaforce

• Excellent 1

squonk

In Actuality i think the term " Lovejoy" is from the name of the co. that started it. Everybody uses the term "Lovejoy" almost as a slang term. Funny I was working on a dish washer during an afternoon and one of these "lovejoy" ends was seized onto a shaft of a bad wash motor. I needed one bad. I called 3 big industrial suppliers in the city of Rochester N.Y. and asked for a 1/2" Lovejoy coupler. Not one of those mohambies knew what I meant by "lovejoy"  Once I sent them a picture they new what I was talking about. "Oh a motor shaft coupler!" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Haha 2

Achto
3 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

This set up would work great, regardless of what they call it. It will only kick out it you rotate it in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

peter lena

@oliver2-44   used  love joy  couplings in all our poly dextrose / Viking gear pumps , had dozens of them , made the rebuilding swap quick / easy ,  always had rebuilt spares in the production related areas , had  to be run wit a steam fed impeller set up , poly dextrose , would set up like cement with any line cooling , rebuilt hundreds  of them . done that , pete

oliver2-44
3 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Do you not use the standard rubber lovejoy for cleanliness purposes?  It sure looks like a pull start or hand start coupling, kicking away after it starts, not for continuous positive engagement.,,

They will drive one direction and kickout the other direction which makes them easy to remove.  The square shouldered Love Joy would require a tool(  allen wrench) to slide one side of the coupling back to remove the mechanism. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

If you want to do the job on the cheap you could get a steering rag joint and slide coupling from an auto dismantler. Should work fine for a light load at low RPMs. Slip joint will be handy for uncoupling it.

Picture 1 of 1

• Like 1

peter lena

@953 nut   agree with that steering slide set up , would also add a  2 bolt flange bearing  to it for seamless operation . pete

• Like 1

peter lena

@953 nut   was watching a car  show the other night , steering  shaft change issue , engine swap . guy did it perfectly , moving the slide bearing mount to different  areas , on the shaft  and finding  solid smooth control , went from a wreck to  perfect  as you watched .  pete

• Like 1