Daron1965

Bit by another bug.... Show your hit n miss

Daron1965

So, on a rainy day, i was browsing local craigslist on other ads.  I stumbled across a good amount of hit n miss engines for sale.  I found a few Maytag 92 motors relatively close for sale.  Well, after talking to a member on here, Im hooked.  Im in the process of looking for the right one.  Im gathering parts to make a wagon mounted ice cream maker.

Edited by Daron1965

ClassicTractorProfessor
1 hour ago, Daron1965 said:

Im gathering parts to make a wagon mounted ice cream maker.

Funny you should mention that. That’s the exact same plan I’ve got for one of my 92s. An ice cream freezer mounted to a wagon, powered by a Maytag 92, and hitched up behind my 753. Should be a bit at the local shows and events

• Like 1

Daron1965

I agree.   I already have a wooden Hamilton greyhound wagon from the 50s.  Now all I need is the ice cream mixer, belts, pillow block bearing.   Lol.

Purchased a 92 on ebay about 5 minutes ago.  Should be here Wed or Thurs.

• Excellent 1

Daron1965

I believe @Stepney has an ice cream wagon made with a Maytag 92.

ClassicTractorProfessor
5 minutes ago, Daron1965 said:

Purchased a 92 on ebay about 5 minutes ago.  Should be here Wed or Thurs.

Congratulations on your FIRST one. I emphasize the first, cause they seem to be like potato chips and Wheel Horses, you can’t stop with just one. I’m actually getting ready to go out and check over my running 92, make sure it’ll start and clean it up a bit for a show we are going to this coming weekend. You may already know this, but mix your fuel 16:1 with good quality gas and 30 wt non detergent oil to keep her hood and happy

Daron1965

Post some pics if you can.  Im already trying to find one to rebuild.  Lol.

ClassicTractorProfessor

I’ll try to get some pics of all of them I’ve got and post them soon

Stepney

My mixer is driven by a Clinton 700a half horse, an old unidentified 8qt mixer mounted inside a Olympic Flyer wagon rom the late twenties. I run one with a Maytag 72 twin that belonged to a good friend of mine, on his behalf, being unable to work it himself anymore. They're a hoot.

Daron1965

Well, I located a Maytag 92.  PO said it ran, then just quit.  I brought it home and started to dig into it.  It has a very old Champion 34 plug in it that is carboned up.  I did a quick clean on plug and tested for spark.  I now have spark.  Took the mixer off, soaking it.  Clean tank out.  Was surprisingly clean.  The story will continue once the mixer soaks over night.   Any suggestions would be helpful.

Daron1965

All cleaned. New plug,Put back together. A few kicks, and it came to life.

20210827_185213.jpg

ClassicTractorProfessor
On 8/27/2021 at 6:37 PM, Daron1965 said:

All cleaned. New plug,Put back together. A few kicks, and it came to life.

20210827_185213.jpg

Beautiful 92.

I drug one of mine out of the storage and into my basement workshop today. 1927 Model 92 serial # 234879, it's spent the past several years of its life sitting in the dirt in the back of an old barn before I came along and picked it up. When I found it it was stuck, but with a little patience and a lot of soaking with Marvel Mystery Oil she spins over freely now. Getting ready to tear her down and do a full restoration on her. 

20211017_190715.jpg

20211017_190735.jpg