"Manic-Mechanic"

ATF or SAE30 in Hydro's?

"Manic-Mechanic"

I am installing freshly rebuilt hydro component's in the 18 auto. Before I close up the Transaxle pre-lubed, what is a better performing oil or fluid? 

Untitled.png

Edited by "Manic-Mechanic"

Blasterdad

I remember reading on here that Wheel Horse used oil as a cost cutting measure, & ATF is better.

It makes sense to me as it's a hydraulic pump after all...

That's just what I read, not my opinion, both work.

• Thanks 1

Blasterdad

I gotta say it...

I've been in several Sundstrand hydros. The cleanest ones with the least visible wear are always full of ATF. Not a close comparison mind you, there is no comparison. There will be no corrosion, no discoloration, and the internals look like the day the gears were cut.

Unless your transmission is worn to the point that heavier motor oil is needed to keep it going, ATF will be what I recommend and use in a Sundstrand. 

This is from another topic on here...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
7 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

I gotta say it...

I've been in several Sundstrand hydros. The cleanest ones with the least visible wear are always full of ATF. Not a close comparison mind you, there is no comparison. There will be no corrosion, no discoloration, and the internals look like the day the gears were cut.

Unless your transmission is worn to the point that heavier motor oil is needed to keep it going, ATF will be what I recommend and use in a Sundstrand. 

This is from another topic on here...

Well, then there's getting the correct filter for the lubricant. I have tried to find different filters for the same application, either for ATF or SAE30

953 nut

I have been using the Tractor Supply "Traveller" premium tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid. Your filter should be a NAPA 1410 or WIX 51410

• Thanks 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I have been using the Tractor Supply "Traveller" premium tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid. Your filter should be a NAPA 1410 or WIX 51410

Hydraulic Filter Wix 57102 for ATF? Als, I have another tractor runs ATF in an Eaten, so trying to match with the ATF if I change while I can now. Traveller can mix with ATF or no?

953 nut
15 minutes ago, "Manic-Mechanic" said:

Hydraulic Filter Wix 57102 for ATF? Als, I have another tractor runs ATF in an Eaten, so trying to match with the ATF if I change while I can now. Traveller can mix with ATF or no?

If you prefer ATF that is fine too. The Tractor Trans/Hydraulic is a 10 W 30 and should not be mixed with ATF. I have always used the WIX 51410 filter, don't know about the 57102. Perhaps @squonk, @daveoman1966or @pfrederi can help on fluid and filter information.

"Manic-Mechanic"
16 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

If you prefer ATF that is fine too. The Tractor Trans/Hydraulic is a 10 W 30 and should not be mixed with ATF. I have always used the WIX 51410 filter, don't know about the 57102. Perhaps @squonk, @daveoman1966or @pfrederi can help on fluid and filter information.

Concerned about the seals changing to ATF, there's a few guys mentioning leaks more so with the ATF I think going to go with the 10-W-30

40GT28_AS01.jpg

squonk

Physically the 557102 and 51410 filters are the same. 7102 is almost twice the cost. 57102 has a 10 micron rating and 51410 has a 21 micron rating

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
30 minutes ago, squonk said:

Physically the 557102 and 51410 filters are the same. 7102 is almost twice the cost. 57102 has a 10 micron rating and 51410 has a 21 micron rating

57102 was bought for the 10 micron quality, also for an Eaton (ATF) on a Snapper 1650. Can I continue to use the same filter regardless of the lubricant? I see there is a cross reference of over 600 oil filters for the Wheel Horse 102819. ATF I would lean toward the lower Microns...

Handy Don
1 hour ago, "Manic-Mechanic" said:

57102 was bought for the 10 micron quality, also for an Eaton (ATF) on a Snapper 1650. Can I continue to use the same filter regardless of the lubricant? I see there is a cross reference of over 600 oil filters for the Wheel Horse 102819. ATF I would lean toward the lower Microns...

Double check the flow/pressure curves on the two filters. Lower microns may mean more backpressure and/or lower flow.

• Thanks 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
4 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Double check the flow/pressure curves on the two filters. Lower microns may mean more backpressure and/or lower flow.

I have the 10 micron, 57102 listed as Hydro filter for the Eaten running ATF on a Snapper 1650. The 18 Auto can run Toro 97-5270,  which does cross reference to WIX 57102. Odd one application it's for Oil, the other application it's for ATF. So may just stay with 10-W-30 to keep it simple, tough choice. Starting to think a filter is a filter and can be used for any application based on desired flow rate...

pfrederi

I have 7 Sunstrand Hydros.  6 are in Charger /Electros and they all run ATF because that's what was in them.  the D200 has 10w-30 because that what was in it.  All have been using wix 51410 filters, some for many years.  (I do think the ATF units are ready to work a bit faster when cold..)   Other manufactures using same sunstrand specified different filter/fluids ...usually their own.  We aren't using these unit 5 day a week 8 hours a day....Some things do not need to be over thunk....

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
On 10/27/2022 at 5:16 PM, pfrederi said:

I have 7 Sunstrand Hydros.  6 are in Charger /Electros and they all run ATF because that's what was in them.  the D200 has 10w-30 because that what was in it.  All have been using wix 51410 filters, some for many years.  (I do think the ATF units are ready to work a bit faster when cold..)   Other manufactures using same sunstrand specified different filter/fluids ...usually their own.  We aren't using these unit 5 day a week 8 hours a day....Some things do not need to be over thunk....

Yes, true.I would prefer a more powerful tractor and weighed the pro's and con's as I do have an option to go either way. Seems the 10-W-30 is more familiar and yes, it had that in it whenever I picked it up. Thanks everyone for the input and now it's time to just move forwards....

She's back on and ready for the hydro motor...

Transaxle.jpg

• Like 1