formariz

Am I damaging transmission?

formariz

I have big inclines in my property so when blowing leaves with tractor it’s faster to just go back and forth blowing them in same direction without turning. So I go up hill and then just let tractor roll back with clutch desingaged without putting it in reverse. Faster that way . My question is, am I doing damage to transmission by letting it roll back while pressing clutch without placing it in neutral?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Jeff-C175

I doubt any damage could occur to the trans... but perhaps clutch wear is a 'maybe'?

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 3

Handy Don
43 minutes ago, formariz said:

I have big inclines in my property so when blowing leaves with tractor it’s faster to just go back and forth blowing them in same direction without turning. So I go up hill and then just let tractor roll back with clutch desingaged without putting it in reverse. Faster that way . My question is, am I doing damage to transmission by letting it roll back while pressing clutch without placing it in neutral?

I do the same on a short hill kinda like a "K" turn--turn and up a tractor length or two, clutch in, coast back turning the other way, brake to a stop, release clutch and off I go.

• Like 2

Pullstart

There’s enough oil splashing around, it could likely roll 1/4 mile without any wear, even if the input shaft isn’t spinning.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don
1 minute ago, Pullstart said:

There’s enough oil splashing around, it could likely roll 1/4 mile without any wear, even if the input shaft isn’t spinning.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Excellent point--the diff is still turning whenever the wheels are turning!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

8ntruck

I think the drive belt is at more risk than the transmission.

• Like 2

Skipper

The trans don't care if it rolls forward or backwards. All turns the same, just opposite directions. Lubrication also good, so Same Same. One could actually argue that it is under less stress rolling backwards down that hill, than it was going up.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, formariz said:

have big inclines in my property so when blowing leaves with tractor it’s faster to just go back and forth blowing them in same direction without turning. So I go up hill and then just let tractor roll back with clutch desingaged without putting it in reverse

Engine oil starvation would be my only concern. If it is the 520 with a pressurized lubrication system it probably isn't a problem but a splash lube system would be of concern.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

It might be a good idea to keep both the transmission and engine oil at the top of the full mark so theirs plenty of oil for the splash lube to sling around.

• Like 3

The Freightliner Guy

I’m not sure how different chain and shaft drive is from pulley drive but I’m sure it’s probably not the best for em 

Pullstart

@formariz what is your tractor/blower setup by the way?  We all know @953 nut has a slick furnace blower that’ll give a small town a good breeze!

• Haha 1

formariz
45 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

@formariz what is your tractor/blower setup by the way?  We all know @953 nut has a slick furnace blower that’ll give a small town a good breeze!

1EFDB4B2-9D3F-4553-8DEF-6F9A0C6C6E29.jpeg.a715f4eb66f6d324ea6c079465a3bbe6.jpeg

37FE215E-93FD-4BF3-99BC-1D83323F0C57.jpeg.329e413fbceb152590fee2bf757cb589.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 5

Pullstart

Is that a snowblower shute?  Awesome!

formariz
5 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Is that a snowblower shute?  Awesome!

Yes it is. Fashioned after the one from @oldredrider serial #1:). My favorite implement. Makes a job that was plain drudgery a real fun one now. 

• Like 2

Jeff-C175

Wish I had seen this last year before I disposed of two of those blowers!

• Like 1

Snoopy11
14 hours ago, formariz said:

I have MAJOR inclines on my property, and I do this all the time, (I'll be pushing dirt up a hill, and push the clutch in to let the tractor roll back down the hill). Absolutely no problem doing that... if there was a problem with this maneuver... all of my transmissions would be paper-weights... :greetings-waveyellow:

SOMETIMES though... if you are still rolling backwards when you release the clutch, you can get some air under the front tires... WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!! :auto-dirtbike:

Don

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Cas, I doubt that you would hurt a manual transmission doing what you are doing.  Maybe take it for a ride around the block after mowing to lube things up again if that is what you are worried about.  I don't think I would want to do that with an auto transmission.  :eusa-think:

• Like 2

Pullstart
3 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Wish I had seen this last year before I disposed of two of those blowers!

Lincoln at A-Z Tractor used a snow blower housing to create a 3 point box scraper blade on the back of a C series… it was at the Big Show this year :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
34 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I don't think I would want to do that with an auto transmission.  :eusa-think:

Curious as to why? I don't have an auto but wondering what issue would be?

stevasaurus

@SylvanLakeWH  not sure about that.  I really have not had much experience with autos.  My thinking is, it just may not be that good for an auto.  They seem to be more temperamental and susceptible to not using them for what they were designed for.  I may be wrong.  :confusion-confused:  Maybe, I should just shut up??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

Lincoln at A-Z Tractor used a snow blower housing to create a 3 point box scraper blade on the back of a C series… it was at the Big Show this year :handgestures-thumbupright:

I was talking about the furnace blowers though, but that's a good idea! 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

don't think I would want to do that with an auto transmission.  :eusa-think:

I'm not sure you could do it with a hydro.  They don't 'freewheel'.  They don't have a clutch even!

• Like 2

953 nut

I go back and forth all the time on our steep driveway when blowing leaves with the 418-C which has an Eaton 1100 and a Kohler Magnum twin with pressurized oil system. I wouldn't even consider doing that with a splash lubricated engine. It will not coast back, need to use the direction control and just slowly change direction.

101_2543.JPG.5346f9bf236394ee51c783a88b37f138.JPG

formariz

I noticed that if I put lever in neutral and then let it roll backwards down the hill it goes a lot faster than if I just leave it gear and put clutch down letting it roll back. That seems to me that even though clutch is depressed transmission is still moving forward. Wheels are now moving in opposite direction. That is my concern if I make any sense. 

formariz

@953 nut. Can you take a short video with it blowing leaves? I am curious as what the difference in pattern is from your set up to mine with the snow blower chute.