Dadof2

HH-100 115145C Carb Replacement

Dadof2

Hi, looking for a replacement carb for my HH-100 115145C. I bought one off Amazon that said it was for HH-100 and HH-120 engines but it is not as long a my original and the choke lever gets caught on the ignition coil. Has anyone for a new replacement carb for this engine?

Thanks,

Jeff

ebinmaine

What's the tractor ?

Do you have the original carb?

Why replace instead of clean and rebuild?

@Pullstart has adapted Kohler carbs to techies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Yes I have, with great success!  It wasn’t that challenging either, but it was a smaller engine size…

• Like 1

pfrederi

Some 10 hp Techies need a spacer plate to hold the carb out away from the block  It is a tapered plate the yellow thing in the picture.

IMG_0143.JPG

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

I believe the plate is #31959

Dadof2

Eric, I have the original carburetor and have tried cleaning it. It stays running on full choke only at this point and I am sure I cleaned all of the holes. I also had already bought a new one that was supposed to work for HH100 engines but I have a clearance problem as the choke lever is about half an inch closer to the block compared to the old one. I will try to rebuild it.

Paul, I picked up a plate on Ebay just in case my rebuild doesn't work. Thanks for the part number!

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, Dadof2 said:

Eric, I have the original carburetor and have tried cleaning it. It stays running on full choke only at this point and I am sure I cleaned all of the holes. I also had already bought a new one that was supposed to work for HH100 engines but I have a clearance problem as the choke lever is about half an inch closer to the block compared to the old one. I will try to rebuild it.

Paul, I picked up a plate on Ebay just in case my rebuild doesn't work. Thanks for the part number!

Those 10 to 12 HP Tecumseh carbs can be tricky. 

Is there a Welch plug?

Did you remove it?

Did you soak the carb? In what? For how long?

Did you spray at least 2 whole cans of brake clean through the ports and galleys?

Snoopy11
On 9/17/2022 at 8:10 AM, ebinmaine said:

@Pullstart has adapted Kohler carbs to techies.

You are forgetting someone, Eric... :angry-tappingfoot:

K181 carb on a HH-120. There are also videos online of guys using K181 carbs... I believe... :eusa-think:

100_2123.JPG.93c6e75126936c8ef3e5551006b65796.JPG

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1

pfrederi
12 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

You are forgetting someone, Eric... :angry-tappingfoot:

K301 carb on a HH-120. There are also videos online of guys using K181 carbs... I believe... :eusa-think:

100_2123.JPG.93c6e75126936c8ef3e5551006b65796.JPG

Don

I sort of got lost in your thread on your techy but at one point you had installed a K181 carb.  Did you finally figure out how to do a K301 carb???y

• Like 1

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I sort of got lost in your thread on your techy but at one point you had installed a K181 carb.  Did you finally figure out how to do a K301 carb???y

Yes, sorry Paul. I made a mistake in my post above. The K301 carb DID NOT FIT my HH120...!

I meant to say, a K181 carb. The K181 carb will fit and that is what I ended up using on my HH120. :bow-blue:

My apologies for the confusion.

Don

pfrederi
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

Yes, sorry Paul. I made a mistake in my post above. The K301 carb DID NOT FIT my HH120...!

I meant to say, a K181 carb. The K181 carb will fit and that is what I ended up using on my HH120. :bow-blue:

My apologies for the confusion.

Don

I assume the smaller carb will result less power...but better fuel economy   Sort of like my 69 Pontiac 400 ci bur only a two barrel carb...

• Like 1

Snoopy11
Just now, pfrederi said:

I assume the smaller carb will result less power...but better fuel economy

What is funny about it is how easy it was to tune. It purrrs like a kitten. :)

Don

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I assume the smaller carb will result less power...but better fuel economy   Sort of like my 69 Pontiac 400 ci bur only a two barrel carb...

I can't speak for the HH10 but .. 

The Tecumseh OHV160 is smaller cc than the Kohler K341. 

It seems reasonable that a carb from a Kohler 14 or even a 12 horse would produce usable power on the Tecumseh OHV160.  

It would be interesting to do real world testing with a Charger 9/10 with both carbs to see the actual results.  

Dadof2

Hi Eric,

The other night I just disassembled and cleaned with carb cleaner. Today I did ultrasonic cleaning, used carb cleaner and sprayed compressed air through ports.

Is there a Welch plug?

- No

Did you remove it?

- Yes

Did you soak the carb? In what? For how long?

- Put it in an ultrasonic cleaner for 25 mins with 50% water 50% simple green. Then it soaked for 4 hours in that solution. After that I did another ultrasonic cleaning but just water this time.

Did you spray at least 2 whole cans of brake clean through the ports and galleys?

- After ultrasonic cleaning I sprayed about half a bottle of carb cleaner through the ports and them blew it dry with compressed air and reassembled it. Does brake clean do a better job?

Edited by Dadof2
posted before finished writing

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, Dadof2 said:

Today I did ultrasonic cleaning, used carb cleaner and sprayed compressed air through ports

That's an excellent direction.  

Given that secondary cleaning I'd be tempted to reassemble and install.  

34 minutes ago, Dadof2 said:

Does brake clean do a better job

In my area carb clean is nearly twice the price of brake clean. 

Carb clean leaves a residue that I do understand lubricates the carb pivot points. 

Dadof2

After the second cleaning/install I am still having the same problem - slow running engine and dies when I take it off choke. Is it possible that it is something other that the carb?

Heatingman

Fuel pump?

Horse Newbie
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

It would be interesting to do real world testing

Put it on a dyno !

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Dadof2 said:

After the second cleaning/install I am still having the same problem - slow running engine and dies when I take it off choke. Is it possible that it is something other that the carb?

@pfrederi @953 nut

Any thoughts?

pfrederi
8 hours ago, Heatingman said:

Fuel pump?

:text-yeahthat:

or restriction somewhere in fuel lines...

creighton trimble

You still have an obstruction in the carbs main circuit....

Dadof2

So I was able to get it running today and drove it around for a bit and everything was normal until I tried to reinstall the air filter and then it died. I have not been able to get it started again. After trying to run it for a bit I pulled the spark plug to see if it was dry and it was wet with gas. I've tried shooting starting fluid directly into the engine and it still did not start. I am charging the battery and will go pick up a new spark plug, which I am hoping is the problem. Will let you know how it turns out. Thank you all for your help so far.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, Dadof2 said:

spark plug

What's the age of the existing plug? 

Dadof2

Not sure, I bought the tractor in 2019 and can't remember if I changed it. I checked for spark and it there is one but it is faint (see below). Are you thinking it might be something else?

Edited by Dadof2

ebinmaine

Absolutely worth changing the plug.  

The other day, and in times past, I've gone to way too much trouble diagnosing "issues" that were ridiculous like bad plugs.  

• Like 1