FatJackDurham

Whats the story with the xi series?

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I apologize If i got it wrong. Not sure I did, but if it is the case then it is said.

I do not remember where it was I read it. Sorry if it ain't so. Wasn't trying to mislead anyone. 

To summe up, we can all agree that the GT550 was made (put together) by MTD. We can also all agree that it is just about identical to the previous Xi series (I cant see the difference). We also know that Toro wished to focus more on commercial products, and less on residential, pretty much from the moment the last Classic left the building. Now speculating on if they started making the Xi in house, and then mowed a complete production line to MTD for the last year or so in 2006-2007, or if it was there all along, is something you may do on your own. And we can only hope that someone with the right facts shows up to set it straight. Until then, I guess it is up to speculation and beliefs, what makes most sense both financially and other wise.

@Dennys502, since you were on the xi development team of Toro at the time here's a chance to set these issues at rest, thanks Jeff.

DennisThornton

https://www.newhavenpower.com/Toro_GT_550.html

I believe this to be accurate. 

From another site:

• MTD makes the LX series Lawn mowers for Toro. The GT series is still produced by TORO, and is 100% toro.
  • Ive been to all the 2008 Toro and MTD service schools, and both had info pertaining to this fact, both were very adamant that the LX's are MTD manufactured. There are special procedures for repairing TORO mowers made by MTD under warranty. Basically they roll a generic MTD frameonto the line, put the 42, 46, or 50" MTD deck under it, drop on a Courage engine, and install a TORO hood and fenders.
    The GT series are made on a TORO assembly line, they use a TORO frame, and Toro Deck, etc etc... Ive worked on a number of GT series and we used TORO specific parts, where as when we work on an LX series, we use MTD labled parts.
Edited by DennisThornton

shallowwatersailor
12 hours ago, emdmat1981 said:

John .. you sure did have 3 nicely outfitted Xi's !!

Interesting to here that the the 2006 Toro Wheel Horse GT550 was produced by MTD.

So would that just mean assembled by MTD .. as the design, parts , etc are all Toro Wheel Horse and the machine as you say is essentially a re-badged 522xi.

Yes?

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead with my comments. The 522xi was renamed for one year to the GT 550 for 2005. It used the same model number as the 522xi (73561) with serial number 250000001 and Up. It could have been a last gasp effort to re-market the 5xi line before making the decision to outsource further tractor production. There was some minor re-badging on the hood panels and rear fender. The black "surround" portion was eliminated. Interestingly it still was sold as a Toro Wheel Horse.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  The LX-series by MTD was then marketed starting in 2006 - as a Toro.

Here are some photos that I got off the internet for my files of a GT550. It was unit #250000128 and obviously new at a dealership.

5b8800a254258_RightFront.jpg.52707a1d79187c5c4780c71df6dfa8bc.jpg

5b8800b6510f9_RightSide.jpg.446e897bf7e6c0b7a77f7b2789783299.jpg

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

If anyone really wants one of these xi NOS unsold with just demonstrator riding hours just pm me and I can point you in the right direction.

IMAG1739.jpg

IMAG1742.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Dennys502

The 5xi series tractors were assembled in Windom Mn from Toro parts.I would have to do some checking but it would not be cost effective to move an assembly line and train them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

PeacemakerJack

Having owned an MTD produced and built cub cadet for six years (purchased new in 2005 and sold in 2011) and also having tinkered with multiple MTD machines that had various colored hood and fender pans, I can tell you that our 523Dxi is a totally different animal from those. Linkage, hard parts, wear parts, etc all screams “this tractor was only designed to last for a short period of time!” When you look at the MTD throw away tractors.  I’m sure there may be a few parts like that on the xi series but not very many.  They are commercial quality machines designed and built to last.  My son has the 418-C and my cousin a 520H and they are both excellent tractors.  All I’m saying is that the xi series is right in that conversation as far as quality and creature comforts.  The traditional WH design of the classic series is definitely simpler but the xi is every bit as strong.  

My point is to encourage those in our community to consider purchasing an xi if one comes up in your local area for sale.  Most people mistake them for the cheaply made LT lines and therefore they typically don’t sell that fast.   Also they are usually at a really decent price point, especially when compared with similarly built and sized machines that are green or orange.  

DONT BE AFRAID TO OWN AN XI series WHEEL HORSE!  

If you own one and think it is a terrible overpriced, underbuilt machine, come on here and tell everyone that Jack has no clue what he is talking about!  The funny thing is that I have owned only one—so far.  But I’m impressed with this machine and ours has 1200 hours on it already.  I’ve seen them come up on CL a few times on our area priced similarly to the LT series 🤪

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA
31 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

DONT BE AFRAID TO OWN AN XI series WHEEL HORSE!  

I completely agree.  The 5xi's are fantastic tractors.  I even think they are a step up from a 520H and that is saying a lot!  I think they are usually under priced on the used market.  The only downside it that they are a bit harder to work on and used parts are not as common as the WH classics.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

@Kurt-NEPA, @PeacemakerJack, @shallowwatersailor  @19richie66 ... I was over in WV delivering some more wood to my parents and my 15yo boy came out to help then on the way to his house I took a little detour to see my old dealer a see if the N.O.S. xi I keep referring to was still available and yes it is but has gathered another couple demo hours... Enjoy. Really wish I had the $$$ to bring it to my stable.

20200101_130555.jpg

20200101_130810.jpg

20200101_130728.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

PeacemakerJack

Thanks for the Pics and Story Jeff.  That is a beautiful tractor.  Hard to believe that tractor is over 15 years old and yet is brand new👍🏻

What does your son think of it?

• Thanks 1

19richie66

I found one down here for sale for $600 and just don’t have the money or time to do anything with it. Would love to have it. 60” deck and all. Bad timing. 😢

• Sad 2

WVHillbilly520H
34 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Thanks for the Pics and Story Jeff.  That is a beautiful tractor.  Hard to believe that tractor is over 15 years old and yet is brand new👍🏻

What does your son think of it?

His mother some how got him hooked on JD but then the step dad had CC so I honestly don't know how he exactly feels but if I could I would put him on it but he's also trying to end up with the 782D I told you about which is 1/4 mile from his house.  BTW hard to believe that young man was a premature 5 pounder 15 1/2 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

WHX??

Just out of curiosity Jeff what are they asking for it? It amazes me they have not sold it yet! 

Cee245

@Kurt-NEPA, agree with you and others on the XI tractor's are very good!

My family has 3 520xi's. The '98 is for our camp and shares lawn duties with a JD X575. (Mowing and pulling the trailer around... (17 cu ft I believe)

Dad has 2, a '99 and '02 with a single stage snowblower and 2 52 inch decks. 

Have had some small problems, but I have no real complaints for about 15 year old WELL built tractors!

(Replaced deck bearings on both, axel seal on one of them,  I forget which one!) 

I personally use the classic series...

'96 416H .mow, snowblower duty.

'85 417A plow duty.

'95 416h parts tractor

Cory