PtJudeRI

314-8 Tranny problem

Hi all, my first post here. I bought a 314-8 this past fall, with a mower deck and snowblower. All was fine, other than a sticky first gear. I replaced oil, new fuel filter and gas line on the tractor, and also new belt on the snowblower. First snowfall it worked well, but ran a little rough. This past week, I got one swipe of the driveway done, and when shifting from reverse to 2 ( couldn't get it to shift into 1 and stay) the Tranny wouldn't engage, leaving me stuck.  No reverse, no forward. Engine still running fine, drive belt seems in good order. 

I pulled the shifter today, which is intact and looks fine. Trans fluid looks a bit low, and milky, so I think some water got in there. The gears seem to shift smooth, but the tractor just won't engage.  I called the guy I bought it from, who assured me all was in good order, as I can't seem to find someone to work on the unit here in RI.  Any thoughts???  I'm OK mechanically, but not a whiz, and not set up to pull and rebuild a transmission. 

Have you checked the keys in the axles and the input pulley?

22 minutes ago, PtJudeRI said:

The gears seem to shift smooth, but the tractor just won't engage.  

I have not. I'll look around on here for some how to info. Thank you very much!!

Well, It's pretty easy.    If the gears are shifting OK, there might be a simple disconnect in the drive train.    The first check is  with the tractor running and the transmission in gear, check both axles to see if  one is turning inside the hub.    If one is turning, the key is sheared and must be replaced.      If neither axle  is turning, then remove the belt guard and check to see if the transmission input shaft turns when you turn the pulley.  If it doesn't turn the shaft, the key is sheared or lost. 

If the input shaft is turning and neither axle is turning with the transmission in gear,  you have a broken gear or shifter fork  inside the transmission and will have to replace or rebuild the transmission.

Do a search for  " transmission repair" and you will find excellent instructions  by member stevasaurus on these rebuilds.

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 5

:WRS:

Do the checks Ed mentioned. Also make sure your hi/low shifter is fully engaged and not between the hi and low. Please report back when you do that. We don't want to rewire the house cuz the light bulb burnt out. You definitely need to flush the transmission as well. Make sure you have a good shifter boot on it to keep water out.:)

• Like 4

I need to replace the shifter boot, looking at it last night, its dried and cracked.  Also, If memory serves, flushing the tranny is best with diesel and let it run the the transmission for a few minutes?  Ill get into the keys tonight.  I tried to remove the lug nuts last night to make my life easier, and it appears that someone was kind enough to put some lock tite on the threads for me.

Yea, diesel works well. Drain the gunk, dump in a couple quarts of diesel and drive it around a bit. Loctite on lug bolts:no:

• Like 1

Are you sure the lug bolts are loctited.  If you see red on the threads, you will need heat...400deg.     They may just be rusted....apply PB Blaster to the bolts inside of the hubs where they are tapped thru.  When you drain the tranny,  lift the front of the tractor about 12" to get it all out.

Edited by ekennell

:WRS:                   Take a look at post #3 on the attached thread, should solve your problem.

•  

If you enjoy your freedom, thank a veteran!

:USA: 

Richard Schmidt, Franklin NC   

Hi all. Thanks so much for the support!  OK, here's an update. I came home jacked up the rear end and started up the tractor. In all gears, no spinning of the wheels. Seems to be moving freely. The input wheel is spinning, as is the shaft. No movement on the shafts to the hubs. The lo hi gear seems to be moving, but I can feel it grinding and I don't think it's catching. On the Tranny, there is about a 1/4 to 3/8 gap between the "stopper" on the lo hi shift arm and the Tranny case. I'm beginning to suspect it's the lo hi gear??  

• Like 2

sure sounds like the shifter fork,it sounds like its(high low )is stuch in middle of stroke,

• Like 3

I agree. That hi/lo fork looks to be a likely suspect. May be time to open her up. It's not difficult. Watch Steve's video and there's plenty of help here. :)

• Like 1

Scroll down the Main Page to the WHEEL HORSE REFERENCE SECTION...see INSTRUCTIONAL THREADS AND VIDEOS...clink on TRANSMISSIONS. 

Contains a few threads with pictures and videos on 8 speed transmissions.  My "6 speed #5060" thread has the videos that will help you, but your 8 speed hi/low mechanism is a little different then the #5060 trans.  It is close enough to get you through it, but I recommend using my thread and dgjkls6's thread "Idiots guide to 8 speed transmissions" together as reference.  His thread has the pictures of what your transmission looks like inside.  :)   Also, we are here and will help walk you through it. if you need any help.

I'm really shocked at how helpful you all are. Thank you all, again!  I'm going to start in on this tomorrow.  I'll post pics and progress. 

• Like 3

Hello I need some serious help , I have the same problem, just bought the mower, input shaft spins but wheels do not , I have disconnected the transmission from the mower , wondering what might be the problem?

@Kirbyhorse , please start a new thread in the same section as this.  We would need to know what horse model you have and an explanation of what you think is going on.  We solved a few things in this thread above, and you did not give us enough information to know where to start.  When you click on Transmissions on the main page...you will see a box that says "start topic"  It is the best and fastest way to go.

BTW Welcome to Red Square...  :text-welcomeconfetti:

20 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

@Kirbyhorse , please start a new thread in the same section as this.  We would need to know what horse model you have and an explanation of what you think is going on.  We solved a few things in this thread above, and you did not give us enough information to know where to start.  When you click on Transmissions on the main page...you will see a box that says "start topic"  It is the best and fastest way to go.

BTW Welcome to Red Square...  :text-welcomeconfetti:

Steve he has a thread in the main tractor forum  " 314-8 drive belt problem  " . He has the trans out of the tractor at this point but I can't make sense what all is going on .

• Like 1