JimSraj

Deck coatings

JimSraj

Since I’ve got the tractor back here to repair the trans problem and the deck is off now I’d like to treat the underside with something to help stave off the rust. Anyone have an especially effective method?

8ntruck

Clean the grass off of it, paint it with used motor oil, and let it cook in the sun for a few days.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

daveoman1966

30+ years ago, I made a stainless steel liner for my 48" deck.  Not tuff to do, and lasts FOREVER...or LONGER.  

Take ALL the hardware off of deck shell.  Make a cardboard template of the deck flat surface, trimming out ALL the bolt and spindle hole locations.  Transfer that template to a sheet of SS and cut it out.  Use a 2nd piece of SS about 4-5" wide 60" or so long, and tack it around the inside FRONT vertical face of the deck. NO MORE RUST....EVER!

SS DECK 48 (6).JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell
10 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Clean the grass off of it, paint it with used motor oil, and let it cook in the sun for a few days.

All my decks get a Greasy Pete cocktail every fall before they take their winter nap.  Old drainings of motor oil, ATF, and outboard lower gear case oil.

• Like 5

Racinbob

There's been quite a few threads on this subject and I always enjoy them. I added my 2¢ a several years ago when I used POR 15 on my 42" SD deck. That deck is still going strong with about 95% of the coating still intact. But I won't do that again and here's why. Many of you know the story of me purchasing a new 1976 B-80 and then 'converting' it to a C-160 a couple years later. After the conversion I purchased a new 48" deck for it. Both decks have always been well cared for and after every mowing I would clean the clumped up grass off the underside. I didn't hose it down or worry about making it squeaky clean but I'd just get the bulk of the grass off so it wouldn't hold moisture against the metal. So today, 40+ years later, that deck is also going strong with zero rust. The only time both the decks get an oil coating is right before they go into winter storage. I use whatever I happen to have in an aerosol can at the time. Based on my experience I just don't see the reason to do anything more. :)

• Like 5

peter lena

@JimSraj  most important thing is to BREAK THE GRUNGE CYCLE , agree with @8ntruck  on the oil soak down , clean out , stand it in the sun , prop up on lift carriage @Ed Kennell  also does this . also good time to touch up blades, spindle grease . 

done this for years , zero rust ,  all lubricants today are very expensive , used oil is also good for this , it stops rust and feeds the metal . pete @Racinbob also has a good idea. pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor

I clean the deck after every use with a garden hose, occasionally I scrape it with a putty knife.  For winter storage I spray it with Fluid Film, I like it because it doesn't run after it dries a few minutes. 

My push mower is used for trimming and it really clogs up in minutes, it is cleaned the same way.  This mower is only the second one I ever had and it has no rust, the first mower died from someone mowing the ground rod the second time and I didn't want to replace the crankshaft again.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
5 hours ago, lynnmor said:

someone

Hmmmm... wonder who that could be?  :ychain:

I've used the POR-15 on my decks for a decade or so.  Only need to do it once every 5 years or so. 

They just look so doggone purty!

image.png.3f8bc75dda7dbbfa48ce8255a0a41808.png

I put a brick on the seat switch (OSHA be damned! LOL!) when I'm done mowing and squirt the garden hose under there every time I use them.  Then if there are any clumps, I use a wooden shim to scrape them out.  Leave them on the driveway to dry out before putting them away.  I agree that the POR-15 might be overkill because I had no issues with rust before that... as long as the matted grass is removed.

Fluid Film is good stuff.  Lanolin I believe.  You'll never see a rusted sheep fence!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

lynnmor
4 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Hmmmm... wonder who that could be?  :ychain:

I've used the POR-15 on my decks for a decade or so.  Only need to do it once every 5 years or so. 

They just look so doggone purty!

image.png.3f8bc75dda7dbbfa48ce8255a0a41808.png

I put a brick on the seat switch (OSHA be damned! LOL!) when I'm done mowing and squirt the garden hose under there every time I use them.  Then if there are any clumps, I use a wooden shim to scrape them out.  Leave them on the driveway to dry out before putting them away.  I agree that the POR-15 might be overkill because I had no issues with rust before that... as long as the matted grass is removed.

Fluid Film is good stuff.  Lanolin I believe.  You'll never see a rusted sheep fence!

I might try POR-15 some day, it may hold up better than most products that are gone in minutes.  The last time I had my rear discharge, like yours, cleaned up real well I painted it with some real old red paint that had enough lead in it to be banned in California.  It held up better than any paint.  When Using Fluid Film I coat any hardware, top and bottom, so that it doesn’t rust fast.

The idea that oil will soak into steel is something that I doubt, how would they keep it in the cans?  Yes, granular metals like cast iron will retain some oil.

After washing a deck with a garden hose, I run the deck at high speed and blow off the driveways while drying it.

• Like 1

kpinnc
On 9/10/2022 at 7:54 PM, lynnmor said:

The idea that oil will soak into steel is something that I doubt, how would they keep it in the cans?

I've always held to this idea myself. That being said, I recently did some work on my FIL's tractor, and he uses an "oil soak" method much like what is mentioned in this thread. That deck was as free of clippings and buildup as I've ever seen, as well as any signs of corrosion. 

I've always been the guy that uses POR-15 and whatever existed before it to seal the underside of a deck. While I still say it is a good approach to prevent corrosion, the oil soak method definitely has its merits. I think the success of either depends on how often they are done and the type of lawn they are used on. 

Point being: I have no idea which works best. I think what matters is that one or the other is practiced regularly. An ounce of prevention goes a long way...

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Water displacement = No rust

Pretty simple.

Oil, blow dryer, a fan, the sun, all “displace “ water… so does paint or POR (metal covered so no water can get to it - “displaced” from the metal…)

Pick your method but if it ain’t dry it’s gonna rust… :twocents-twocents:

• Like 2