Jerryw77

Starter/ generator issues

Jerryw77

I have a wheel horse commando 8 from 1968 it isn’t charging It puts out 3.4 v at high ideal I can’t find anything about one that will work anyone have a delco/ number

thank you

5269FBB5-19DB-40E7-98CE-4AE10F890EDC.jpeg

WHX??

Nice looking rig ther Jerry:handgestures-thumbupright:

First thing guy is check all the wiring including the itty-bitty ground strap that bypasses the rubber mounts on the reg. Check all other grounds. The contacts in the reg can be burnished with an ignition file and carb cleaner so I would try that too. 

We have some good manuals here for checking things out let us know you need them. 

I also have a line on replacement regs you need one 

Jerryw77
8 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Nice looking rig ther Jerry:handgestures-thumbupright:

First thing guy is check all the wiring including the itty-bitty ground strap that bypasses the rubber mounts on the reg. Check all other grounds. The contacts in the reg can be burnished with an ignition file and carb cleaner so I would try that too. 

We have some good manuals here for checking things out let us know you need them. 

I also have a line on replacement regs you need one 

I replaced the regulator  i also noticed when i jump start it as i hook up the ground it sparks a little  with everything off I bought this a few weeks ago my first Wheel horse  i have a solenoid on it and the last owner changed the ignition switch it has 2 wires on it now and i am not 100% its wired right  I found a few diagrams but not sure if they are right, also if i jump start it  it stays running until i unhook jumpers i think thats because the batttery only has 6 volts in it and its a 12v battery i just bought and any testing info would be great thank you

953 nut

The first thing that needs to be done with any electrical problem is to have the battery load tested at an auto parts store. Also, be sure to clean and tighten ALL electrical connections. While you are at the auto parts store buy a 103-990 ignition switch and the pigtail that fits it as well as a small tube of dielectric grease. As @WHX?? you should pull the cap off your regulator and see that none of the points are welded closed. Use the illustration below to rewire your S/G with solenoid and generator light.

5b202ef98cc34_wiring-starter-generatorwithbatteryignition.jpg.24ab0ca0cab6d9b8f7d7ffb2a7a42fbc.jpg

• Like 2

gwest_ca

This older Kohler service manual has a section on the starter/generator

• Like 1

WHX??

Yes something is amiss if the ignition switch only has two wires on it. 

Personally every tractor that comes into my herd that I have intentions of keeping gets the wiring ripped out completely and replaced per Nut's diagram or the non solenoid diagram with the 70 amp switch if appropriate. Doing custom harnesses is one of my few strong suits however. :)

It's also possible you may have a bad field winding in the SG. I

Generally open them up and clean and test. Inspect the brushes and armature and so forth. 

Thank you @gwest_ca

• Like 1

pfrederi

First quick test engine running ground the F terminal on the Generator body.  Does voltage jump up and engine sound like a load has been applied?  If so Regulator is bad (or not well grounded).  No voltage increase or load   Generator it self has a problem (probably field coil)

• Like 2

Jerryw77

Thanks for the help everyone so my switch is wrong or has an s,m,g,l,b so I am trying to find the right switch I also saw previous owner has wire to battery hook up in a yellow butt splice with coil feed wire so is always has juice to it causing my battery drain? I also found out my battery charger was only putting out 6 v so I went and got a new one. I went to my auto parts for the switch no luck so I am going to see if I can find it online.

squonk

Stens 430-512 replaces Toro 103990

• Like 3

Jerryw77
23 minutes ago, squonk said:

Stens 430-512 replaces Toro 103990

Thank you I will have it here Tuesday just ordered it.

• Like 3

WHX??
1 hour ago, Jerryw77 said:

saw previous owner has wire to battery hook up in a yellow butt splice with coil feed wire so is always has juice to it causing my battery drain

Exactly why I gut a PO job and do it to the book. I don't know if it's in @ebinmaine new to check list but wiring should be right EB? 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Exactly why I gut a PO job and do it to the book. I don't know if it's in @ebinmaine new to check list but wiring should be right EB? 

Yessir ... wiring and electric sure is there.  Mentioned no less than 4 times on the list in various forms.  

I absolutely agree with you on total removal of all wiring on a new to us worker.  

I rip all the wiring harness out and start over with a new section of 7 conductor trailer wire.  Nice new fresh full copper Bear-built (me) harness.  

Here's the check list link just for kicks:

• Like 1

Thompson1276
On 8/20/2022 at 8:31 PM, Jerryw77 said:

I have a wheel horse commando 8 from 1968 it isn’t charging It puts out 3.4 v at high ideal I can’t find anything about one that will work anyone have a delco/ number

thank you

5269FBB5-19DB-40E7-98CE-4AE10F890EDC.jpeg

Sounds like a bad Voltage regulator , Or the field wire need cleaned , or the return for the voltage regulator is bad , should have 13-14 bolts back off the Voltage Regulator , take apart the casing of it and check your brushes also too make sure there smooth and don’t got a divot in it or wear , mine was shot the field wire was gone and brushed was bad had to replace it with a Delco remy off a old sears same one though 

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, Jerryw77 said:

Thank you I will have it here Tuesday just ordered it.

Jerry, 12V wiring is fairly simple especially on these older tractors.  

You've already narrowed down an obvious PO repair that was opposite to correct in the use of that ignition switch. 

Do the tests and cleaning as advised above and you'll find the problem pretty quickly. 

There are simplified schematic diagrams here on this site as well. 

I'd HIGHLY recommend studying the right one and triple checking your existing wiring. 

It's clearly not correct.  

Jerryw77

Thank you to everyone I got it fixed it was indeed the so switch I installed the new one cut every wire out. And ran them per schematic diagram that 953 Nut posted it has sat for a week and it starts right up and charges thank you all. Now my next challenge getting my tiller going.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Good to hear Jerry. Like EB said the wiring is so simple on these vintage tractors that even he can do it! :ychain: EB

This is exactly why  I evaluate and/or replace all the wiring on a new to us. 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

replace all the wiring

Chuck it huck it toss it wing it and plop some nice new fine woven all copper in there. Yessuh.   

• Like 2