• Heart 1

WHGuy413
8 hours ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

Get that thing on Reese!

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy
7 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

Get that thing on Reese!

the trany pulley came today so all ineed now is to put it on get the throttle together and make an exhaust

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

Making bubbles!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Freightliner Guy
On 7/5/2023 at 4:40 PM, The Freightliner Guy said:

the two snap rings missing are they both the same size? 1/2?

• Like 1

Handy Don
31 minutes ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

the two snap rings missing are they both the same size? 1/2?

On the wheel spindles, the sleeves you added adapt the spindle diameter to the wheel bearing bore and that’s good.

It looks to me like the snap rings on the axles are large enough to hold in the sleeves, but they are not large enough to hold on the wheel. Can the bearing slide over the sleeve and then the snap ring and just fall off? You probably want to move two of the ½” fender washers to the outside between the snap ring and the sleeve!

I’m assuming the sleeve (or sleeves) are sized to fit exactly the width of the wheel hub, yes? 

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

On the wheel spindles, the sleeves you added adapt the spindle diameter to the wheel bearing bore and that’s good.

It looks to me like the snap rings on the axles are large enough to hold in the sleeves, but they are not large enough to hold on the wheel. Can the bearing slide over the sleeve and then the snap ring and just fall off? You probably want to move two of the ½” fender washers to the outside between the snap ring and the sleeve!

I’m assuming the sleeve (or sleeves) are sized to fit exactly the width of the wheel hub, yes? 

no they can still move about

• Like 1

Handy Don

Pretty sure you're aiming for something like this where the sleeve(s) touch on the inside of the hub and stick out just a bit past the outside of the bearings. Then big washers on each side hold both the sleeve and the bearing/hub in place on the spindle. You’ll need extra washers if the width of the hub is less that the spindle.

image.png.6fa5291fbb0a9c4b0ce5afa73913c936.png

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

The Freightliner Guy
7 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Pretty sure you're aiming for something like this where the sleeve(s) touch on the inside of the hub and stick out just a bit past the outside of the bearings. Then big washers on each side hold both the sleeve and the bearing/hub in place on the spindle. You’ll need extra washers if the width of the hub is less that the spindle.

image.png.6fa5291fbb0a9c4b0ce5afa73913c936.png

the sleeves do poke out alot as the back is flat the rest of the sleeves barely clear where the snap ring goes. i will defiantly switch one of the washers to be on the outside. but all i wanna know is if the spindle snap ring is the same size as that steering rod one. thanks for this info tho its a good thing you said this as next time i go i i plan for it to move via engine and i dont want the wheels coming off

• Like 1

Handy Don

The snap rings are easy to check. They are sized based on the diameter of the shaft. Use a ruler that has 1/32nd inch markings and look closely. 🙂

You’ll want to cut the sleeves to have them stick out just past the hub/bearing and touch each other inside.  If the sleeve and slide on the spindle, it could slide inside the wheel and leave the bearing to fall down onto the spindle! Fill extra space with washers or put the short leftover piece of sleeve on the inner end of the spindle between the welded-on washer and the big washer.

• Like 2

The Freightliner Guy
3 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

The snap rings are easy to check. They are sized based on the diameter of the shaft. Use a ruler that has 1/32nd inch markings and look closely. 🙂

You’ll want to cut the sleeves to have them stick out just past the hub/bearing and touch each other inside.  If the sleeve and slide on the spindle, it could slide inside the wheel and leave the bearing to fall down onto the spindle! Fill extra space with washers or put the short leftover piece of sleeve on the inner end of the spindle between the welded-on washer and the big washer.

can i just leave them how they are and fill the space with washers? if there is a space

• Like 1

Handy Don
15 hours ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

can i just leave them how they are and fill the space with washers? if there is a space

The outer diameter of the sleeves is the same as the inner diameter of the bearings in the wheel hub, right?

That means that the bearings can slide across the sleeves if there is sideways pressure on the wheel--which happens whenever you turn the tractor.

To prevent that, you need the sleeves to be just a bit wider than the wheel hub bearings and then have big washers lock both the wheel and sleeves into place one on top of the other.

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

The outer diameter of the sleeves is the same as the inner diameter of the bearings in the wheel hub, right?

That means that the bearings can slide across the sleeves if there is sideways pressure on the wheel--which happens whenever you turn the tractor.

To prevent that, you need the sleeves to be just a bit wider than the wheel hub bearings and then have big washers lock both the wheel and sleeves into place one on top of the other.

ok yeah i see what your saying now also yes they are. but since i havent pulled the stickers off they cant slide as easy

• Like 2

The Freightliner Guy

@Handy Donso i think lane said to me the spindle is 1/2 so i went to a store and got 8 1/2 washers but they dont fit tight on the spindle at all. will they still be okay?

• Like 1

Handy Don

Short answer - yes, you’ll be fine as long as the outside diameter of the washer is at least 1” (that is, big enough to cover the ends of both the spacer and the inner race of the wheel hub bearing).

Some washer info:

Most common washers’ holes are slightly larger than the stated dimension. For example, a ½” (0.5”) washer will normally have a 17/32” (0.531”) hole

A regular “½ inch” washer (also referred to as an SAE washer) will have a .531“ hole and a 1.063” outer diameter.

A “½ inch” fender washer has the same 0.531 hole but has an outer diameter anywhere from 1.25 to 3.00"

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

The Freightliner Guy

decided maybe use this while im making the trottle not sure if the local store smith and edwards will be open on thanksgiving

• Like 1

wallfish

Doubtful it's the hubs. BUT likely a combination of things.

Tighten the hub set screws and it should lock them tighter to the axle

The trans bearings (Bronze bushings) inside the tube are notorious for having wear. In and Out play of the axle is normal but the axle should NOT move side to side. That side to side play indicates the bearings are worn

Worn axle bearings cause the seals to leak

• Like 2

The Freightliner Guy
45 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Doubtful it's the hubs. BUT likely a combination of things.

Tighten the hub set screws and it should lock them tighter to the axle

The trans bearings (Bronze bushings) inside the tube are notorious for having wear. In and Out play of the axle is normal but the axle should NOT move side to side. That side to side play indicates the bearings are worn

Worn axle bearings cause the seals to leak

How hard are those to replace 

• Like 1

wallfish
45 minutes ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

How hard are those to replace 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy

so i did get a new trans pulley a while ago and the day i got it i painted it red. the last time i was over at my grandparents i took the old pulley off and tried to put on the new one. it would not go on so we used my grandpas sander to get rid of some of the paint. i got it on but it now wiggles side to side when spinning not sure if we took off to much on one part should i get a new pulley. will it be fine? or do i need to try and sand the other side and try and make it even

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

You are saying you removed red paint only from the inside of the bore on said pulley, right ?

The Freightliner Guy

yes

• Like 1