dmoore

854 Restoration

Handy Don
59 minutes ago, buckrancher said:

it's a complete assembly

@dmoore

Interesting. On mine the through bolt has a hex head and is removable and this pulley and the PTO idler are identical. I'll try to grab a photo when I'm working on it later.

Curious why you have the seat spring mounted before the toolbox is there.

squonk

@prondzy can repair your pulley if you don't find one.

• Like 1

dmoore
12 hours ago, squonk said:

@prondzy can repair your pulley if you don't find one.

I may take you up on that :handgestures-thumbupright:

dmoore

Who makes a thin enough puller to get behind the brake shaft pulley? 

wallfish
1 hour ago, dmoore said:

I have a whole set

th?id=OIP.Ej9HuvFkdMfT-96ct2ANPgHaFj&pid

The brake drum is fairly beefy so you don't have to worry about bending/breaking it. Remove the retainer (there are different ones depending upon the trans) Try tapping it IN with a hammer just to get it to move but DON"T go overboard with a BFH. Once it moves a little tap the screwdrivers in behind it to wedge it off. Spinning it to wedge on different spots helps too. Typically if it's leaking oil they come off pretty easy. If it ain't leaking oil then leave it on there until it does. :twocents-02cents:

• Haha 2

Handy Don
3 hours ago, dmoore said:

Another alternative I learned from @Docwheelhorse is to use plastic wood splitter wedges.

• Like 3

dmoore

Nice. Ha! But I was thinking of a more controlled method. 

dmoore

Had a very good time at my first show!  It was good to put a face to a name.  Nice meeting you Bob, thanks for the brake lining!  VinsRJ as well, Thanks for filling in for Matt and taking care of getting my beautiful seat cover, I did a trial fit last night after getting back home and its perfect.  Mr. & Mrs. Pullstart were setup right beside us on the camper lot.  That's the way you raise a family! I think I saw more kids on tractors than adults!  Especially enjoyed the sunset parade!  Picked up a lot of parts from K & B to finish my restoration and even scored a high back genuine Wheel Horse seat for my C-101.  Had a very good conversation with "Wild Bill" from Va as well.  Looking forward to next year with the 854! Dave   

• Excellent 2

dmoore

Been busy on other projects and keeping my county cool.  I have managed to install just about all parts bought from Brian @ K & B Horse Parts.  It's been a roller since last week thanks to Miller Tires in Ohio.  I will need to source an upper steering shaft bronze bushing since mine is worn.  The engine has been disassembled, cleaned, inspected, two new crankshaft seals, honed & ready for new piston/rod assy installation. It is in very good condition with all measurements well within spec. Hoping to have the engine mounted and running by next weekend. 

20220710_193043.jpg

20220710_193106.jpg

20220710_193129.jpg

20220710_193232.jpg

20220710_193253.jpg

20220710_194203.jpg

20220710_195352.jpg

20220710_191905.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

dmoore

20220715_200018.jpg

20220715_200043.jpg

20220715_200144.jpg

20220715_201119.jpg

20220715_211741.jpg

20220715_212434.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 7
  • Heart 1

Handy Don

Looks terrific!

Before you get too far on assembly, though, you may want to pause and think about electrical grounds with all those freshly painted components!

Regulator to S/G body. S/G to engine block. Battery negative to engine block. Coil ground wire to engine block.

When I assembled my nicely painted K181, I carefully scraped off the paint at key spots and used dielectric grease on the joints. Tested with a continuity buzzer and VOM to be sure they were really solid. Did the same for all the "+12v" connections as I went--especially to the ignition switch and ammeter.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

dmoore

So in attempting to wire up this tractor I have been looking for the copper lugs, #6 with the smaller hole for the key switch and the voltage regulator terminals. Anyone know who may have them? 

20220724_171405.jpg

JPWH

Search 1/4" wire ring terminals at soundextreme1902 on flea bay.

Edited by JPWH
  • Like 1

dmoore

Thanks JP will do:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

dmoore

I actually found them at my NAPA. I guess I just overlooked them. Thanks guy's!

• Like 2

dmoore

Since I cannot get an original shower head muffler what do you guys recommend? Which one last the longest? 

wallfish
1 hour ago, dmoore said:

Since I cannot get an original shower head muffler what do you guys recommend? Which one last the longest? 

I thought they stopped using shower head mufflers way before 64

Any of those pepper pot mufflers (spark arrestor) will look right. If you can deal with the tone and loudness of those things.

dmoore

20220608_235244.jpg.c76da2e14528a206c83b413f706ebc9e.jpg

• Like 1

dmoore

Used in 64

dmoore

20220518_114917.jpg

• Excellent 1

dmoore

From what I have read & seen 64 was the last year.

Wild Bill 633
21 hours ago, dmoore said:

20220518_114917.jpg

Where is the bow tie?

peter lena

@dmoore  like the overall look of that  opportunity , while I can relate to others on electrical lugs , the industrial grade of lugs is very stout , at your frame state , base line ground your battery ground bolt down spot to your engine / frame area , paint free , dielectric grease and serrated washers . @Handy Don  ,agrees   that is your verified ground go to point. since doing that , my electrical issues are gone.  would also detail set up all related linkages , added washers and grease  , for solid smooth action . would personally add a few well tried upgrades , while you are there, like fuel check valve , lift lever lubrication , washering , would also cable/wire wrap , wiring , etc . looks very good . should work out well for you , pete   

• Like 1

dmoore
11 hours ago, Bill633 said:

Where is the bow tie?

No kidding, straight from the office.

Edited by dmoore