20220604_160509.jpg

dmoore

20220604_160450.jpg

Handy Don
3 hours ago, dmoore said:
3 hours ago, dmoore said:

okay gurus can anyone decipher the year of this coil?  Delco Remy 070  12V

20220604_160509.jpg

Pretty sure that is model info, not a date code.

dmoore

Yes I figured that. Have not found a date code as of yet, if in fact there is one. Maybe after some cleanup.

Handy Don
Just now, dmoore said:

Yes I figured that. Have not found a date code as of yet, if in fact there is one. Maybe after some cleanup.

Nope. I just cleaned and repainted mine. I can't think of a reason Delco-Remy would bother dating a coil. These aren't a maintenance item and their function really doesn't degrade on any set schedule that preemptive replacement would justify.

dmoore

I can count on two fingers how many bad coils I've encountered in my lifetime. This one could very well be original.

• Like 2

rjg854

I was going to say, painted red like it was, that it was probably original to the tractor.  If it had been replaced it would have been maybe black.  :scratchead:

• Like 2

squonk
11 hours ago, dmoore said:

I can count on two fingers how many bad coils I've encountered in my lifetime. This one could very well be original.

When I was in the parts store I built a coil tester. We had so many people coming in with ignition parts in their hand. We had a module tester but no coil tester. so a chunk of cedar from an old picnic table, spark tester, a points distributor and part of a west coast mirror from a 74 Chevy PU and some wire and BOOM Coil tester! :) Probably tested over a hundred of them, found 1 bad one.

• Like 3

c-series don

@squonk @dmooreNot to change the subject but, in high school shop class we had what I think was a coil tester?(it was a long time ago, I can’t remember exactly!) We would put it in a metal cabinet under a metal bench and wait for someone to come lean on it and whammo! They would get the shock of a lifetime 😂😂 I remember one student got crafty and brazed together some brazing rods, laid them on the floor. Then pinched them between the floor and the metal tables so all the tables were linked together. Everyone was getting shocked! Even the shop teacher found this amusing and I don’t think he did much to stop it. He was awesome! Ahh the good ole days! 

Edited by c-series don
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

squonk
12 minutes ago, c-series don said:

@squonk @dmooreNot to change the subject but, in high school shop class we had what I think was a coil tester?(it was a long time ago, I can’t remember exactly!) We would put it in a metal cabinet under a metal bench and wait for someone to come lean on it and whammo! They would get the shock of a lifetime 😂😂 I remember one student got crafty and brazed together some brazing rods, laid them on the floor. Then pinched them between the floor and the metal tables so all the tables were linked together. Everyone was getting shocked! Even the shop teacher found this amusing and I don’t think he did much to stop it. He was awesome! Ahh the good ole days! 

We had an all metal bench in school. During my junior in electric shop  year we connected a 10,000 volt transformer to it and threw a bunch of tools on top. When the senior boys came in early for their auto shop class the teacher told them to put the tools away. Multiple whammo's :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

SylvanLakeWH

@c-series don and @squonk great stories!!! :clap:

My how things change… Sadly, today you’d both be expelled and put on NSA’s watch list… :angry-tappingfoot:

• Haha 4

J854D

@dmoore that certainly is an original coil! I’ve got a couple just like it myself. The 070 is the last 3 digits of the Delco-Remy part number for that coil. The complete part number is 1115070. (long since obsolete) The 12V is of course 12 volts. That coil has an internal resister built into it to keep the points from burning up. NAPA #IC14 would be an aftermarket replacement. -JD-

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

dmoore

I thought so. The external resistor that was present had me guessing. So I guess someone installed it not knowing that the original had it internally? 

J854D

I’ll bet you are right about a previous owner installing  an external resistor on your 854. My 854 coil is wired straight from the ignition switch. -JD-

Handy Don
1 hour ago, J854D said:

My 854 coil is wired straight from the ignition switch

As is mine.

dmoore

A condenser which protects the points is still needed no?

J854D

The condenser reduces the arcing across the points as they open. In 12 volt ignition systems the resistor (internal or external) reduces the voltage to the points to around 9 volts so they don’t overheat. The 6 volt ignition systems in old cars, trucks, & tractors used condensers but didn’t require resistors. -JD-

Handy Don
11 hours ago, dmoore said:

A condenser which protects the points is still needed no?

Yes.

Do you have the wiring diagram? The condenser is shown.

dmoore

Yes, I see it :handgestures-thumbupright:

dmoore

This is my drive belt idler pulley. Is the stud supposed to be removable from pulley or is it a complete assy? The pulley bearing is a little rough and I will need another. 

20220607_170129.jpg

20220607_170138.jpg

dmoore

20220607_192930.jpg

20220607_192833.jpg

20220607_201045.jpg

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

buckrancher
14 hours ago, dmoore said:

This is my drive belt idler pulley. Is the stud supposed to be removable from pulley or is it a complete assy? The pulley bearing is a little rough and I will need another. 

20220607_170129.jpg

20220607_170138.jpg

it's a complete assembly