Ifixoldjunk

310-8 bogging while mowing.

Ifixoldjunk

112EC5D2-746A-4A3C-B5A7-54FC7D9824E9.jpeg.e806511993c7b7772a62e9c2fc199dd0.jpeg
So my 310-8 seems to struggle mowing my slopes. It seems that the engine bogs down considerably towards the top of my yard.

Im currently running the belt on the bigger PTO pulley as the owners manual suggests, but if I were to go over to the smaller pulley would it slow the blades enough to tolerate the hills?

Edited by Ifixoldjunk
  • Like 2

Moonshine*Connoisseur

It shouldn't bog down that badly, sounds like maybe a fuel delivery problem. I'd try installing a 12 volt electric fuel pump that's rated for 2-4 psi.  I bet that would solve your issue, unless your engine is worn out, but that's a different conversation. 

• Like 2

Moonshine*Connoisseur

My 310-8 is the bees knees,  it's one of my go to worker tractors. Shes a sweetheart, yours should be too. 

• Like 4

Ifixoldjunk

@Moonshine*Connoisseur 

Might have to try the electric fuel pump. It has never stalled or anything, but it still sounds a little weaker than I’d like. 

Love the 310s though. Nice rugged machines

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Moonshine*Connoisseur

Run a new fuel line all the way from the tank to the engine. Get a new grommet for the tank,  it'll probably be soft and rip.  Fuel hoses tend to collapse on the inside where you cant see the blockage.  

• Like 3

Moonshine*Connoisseur

If you have an Oreillys auto parts near you ,  they have a nice selection of small engine fuel filters made by Wix.  You can obtain the fuel pump for a reasonable price there too . The jungle site is hit or miss as far as quality goes. 

• Like 2

Ifixoldjunk

@Moonshine*Connoisseur will do, I was looking for a weekend project anyways. Might as well give the old horse some love. 
I’ve been sucked into antique chainsaws lately. I think the tractors are getting jealous.

• Haha 3

tunahead72
46 minutes ago, Moonshine*Connoisseur said:

... unless your engine is worn out, but that's a different conversation. 

Okay, I'll bite...

@Ifixoldjunk  How about some history on this tractor, and especially the engine?  Did the bogging just start recently, or has it been going on a while?  I noticed your deck is set really low, could that be part of the problem?

• Like 2

kpinnc

I've ran my 310-8 with a 48 inch deck on occasion. You can certainly tell it's there, and that Magnum 10 didn't like it, but it worked.

A 42 inch deck should not be too much for that tractor in less than bush hog conditions. 

I would look for parasitic loads such as a draggy deck spindle, or a sticking brake band on the tranny. Also check all idler pulleys (deck, mule drive, tranny tensioner) for smooth and free operation. I had a bad spindle once that only created issues after 10-15 mins of use. It would actually get hot and build enough pressure inside to squirt grease back out through the fittings. It would bately turn by hand in that condition.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Terry M

Just thinking…if it was a fuel delivery issue..wouldn’t the engine stutter and miss rather than bog out?   

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Try it without the muffler.

• Like 3

Blasterdad

Check points gap & plug gap, both can affect timing, reset governor, the arm can move on the rod over time...

• Like 3

OutdoorEnvy

Back to possibly fuel was the tank low by chance making the slope direct the fuel away from the valve?  If it's only on the slope and then goes back to normal almost immediately on leveling out that might the issue.  Especially if this was a one off incident.

• Like 2

peter lena

@Ifixoldjunk  been using this a couple of years ,https://www.amazon.com/CarBole-Universal-2-3-5P-S-I-Operating-Self-  very quiet and reliable , all of my tank valve's , grommets , are replaced , use SUPER LUBE  on the tank grommet area , for easy installation , made for rubber / metal fitting , also use clear vinyl fuel rated hose , small dark green squeeze clamps . good opportunity to install , EVIL ENERGY 5/16  fuel check valve , VERTICALLY  ,just before carb inlet spot . arrow facing up , always have a fuel charge for quicker starts . that super lube also makes fuel line fitting much easier , just a tiny bit on male end . this combination works , have it on my 3 horses , many hours , no problems , no leaks , consistently  starts and works . improve your fuel line routing as you go , support and tye wrap or cable wrap  your line . just an idea , pete     

• Like 3

Ifixoldjunk

@tunahead72 as far as I know, the tractor was bought new in 1988 and used by a small HOA to snowblow the road. 

asides from that, I usually mow at the highest position, I just drop the deck low when I’m done to wash it off.

I’ll have to check for the brake sticking. I recently went through the deck and it seems like all the spindles are good still.

• Like 3

Ifixoldjunk

@OutdoorEnvy usually I start off mowing the slopes first. So typically I have a full tank of gas.

It’s been an issue as long as I’ve owned this machine. The weird thing is it never struggles using the snowblower. And I snowblow a pretty big slope as well.

• Like 2

peter lena

@Ifixoldjunk  that would tell me the issue is deck related , you say you wash off the deck , do you ever dry it out in the sun ? is there any packed related grass build up areas ?   are your blades sharp ? whining  deck bearings?  mule  drive bearings noise ? have 3 of these , that I  regularly use , so I  can picture and understand what you are dealing with . issue would be how to correct it .  pete

• Like 1

Ifixoldjunk

@peter lena typically my deck cleaning routine involves washing it off and blowing it dry with the leaf blower. Typically it’s always sharp as well.

• Like 1

Ifixoldjunk

B466A086-5FAD-4B8F-BDDA-FDD0CF66E0AD.jpeg.1f272df48b998733614a3977189a2c21.jpeg

as it turns out, the aftermarket carb the PO put on the tractor wasn’t playing nice with the air cleaner assembly. The linkage had to be bent down to allow the governor a full range of motion. Thank you for your help everyone

• Like 6

squonk

That mixture screw sure looks like it's cranked in ! :shock:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ifixoldjunk

@squonk don’t worry, resolved that as well. My fault for not really ever checking the tractor out lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Tuneup

Glad you found it! It seems that those aftermarket carbs are a 'may fit' part. If you have the original, it would be great to see that the tunnel is the same diameter so that you're sure that 10HP is giving proper signal. Some have had issues. Anyway, if it's good, it's good!

• Like 1

kpinnc

Glad you found it!

I drop the bowl on my Kohlers every spring and fine tune the carbs. Probably overkill...

A smooth running Kohler is hard to beat! 

• Like 1