Dave 1953

GT14 hydro fluid change with all new hoses

Dave 1953

The GT14 I recently purchased had a blown hyd. hose so I just changed all 4. I would imagine most of the fluid was blown out when the hose ruptured. I am gonna put a new filter on ans is there any plug I need to remove to get as much as possible of the old fluid out? Then what is the best fluid to put back in. I know what the owners manual says but that info is 52 years old. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

ZXT

There is a plug on the bottom of the trans to remove. Should be an allen head IIRC. 

What does it have in it now? Oil or ATF? If it is oil, 10w30. If it's ATF, stick with ATF.

Nice looking '70, by the way!

Edited by ZXT

squonk

GT-14 Should be ATF. Dexron/Mercon. But check it first for color.

953 nut

Be sure to jack up the front end of your :wh: while draining the fluid. There is a hump in the base of the transaxle and the higher you can safely lift the front end the better your drainage will be. Since your system is basically empty you will need to run the motion controller forward and back and the lift up and down a few times to purge the air from the system.  As @ZXT and @squonk said you will want to stick with the fluid that is in the system, if it is pink colored then it is ATF (DexMerc), if it is clear/amber then it is 10 W 30 motor oil.  The filter you will want is a NAPA 1410 or Wix 51410.

Edited by 953 nut
fat finger
  • Like 1

Dave 1953

For those who asked what did it have in originally the answer is I don't know. I won't know till I drain out what little that's still in there. I plan to get every drop I can before I fill it back up. Thanks to all who responded with what I should put in and to jack the front end up.

squonk

Originally it should have had ATF. They made the switch to motor oil in 73-74. But a previous owner may have changed it

ZXT

You never know what's been done to it in the past - my GT14 has a transaxle out of a C series and had oil in it.

• Like 1

tractorhogg
On 4/14/2022 at 6:35 AM, 953 nut said:

Be sure to jack up the front end of your :wh: while draining the fluid. There is a hump in the base of the transaxle and the higher you can safely lift the front end the better your drainage will be. Since your system is basically empty you will need to run the motion controller forward and back and the lift up and down a few times to purge the air from the system.  As @ZXT and @squonk said you will want to stick with the fluid that is in the system, if it is pink colored then it is ATF (DexMerc), if it is clear/amber then it is 10 W 30 motor oil.  The filter you will want is a NAPA 1410 or Wix 51410.

gwest sent me a manual that said the correct filter was 51512

• Like 1

squonk

51512 is an engine oil filter. Use 1410

Dave 1953

OKIE Dokie, thanks