kwalshy

Pole Barn

JCM

Good idea to check on floor drains and wood stoves in garages ,not usually allowed.

• Like 2

WHX??
20 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

You could install a pipe to just below the floor surface and the chip out the concrete after inspections are done.  :eusa-whistle:

Been ther done that ....:hide:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, JCM said:

Good idea to check on floor drains and wood stoves in garages ,not usually allowed.

Best not invite code enforcement over here. 

Might be 2 woodstoves in our next building...

• Like 1

JCM

Insurance company will love you.  :hide:   Not at all telling you what to do, but been around this for many years in different states. The old days and the good ole boys club is not what it used to be like the days of old. Trust me on this one buddy.

• Like 2

WHX??

Drains all up to what code says Plunge ... you'd know better than I on that. Wood stove up to the insur.... beat me to it Jimbo.... I have a wood  burner in my shop and no problems except for the insurance bending me over for an extra 50 clams a year for havin it. 78 degrees out ther right now and 17 outside. I'll pay for that. 

20220312_194608.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, JCM said:

Insurance company will love you.  :hide:   Not at all telling you what to do, but been around this for many years in different states. The old days and the good ole boys club is not what it used to be like the days of old.

No worries here Mister Sir. 

If my insurance company don't want the stove in the metal/welding/gasoline containing  workshop it won't be there. I will have one upstairs though. 👍

• Like 1

JCM

It is the State Fire Marshals office under solid fuel appliances, I just looked it up. Not allowed in garages. You may be able to do the second floor. As far as the floor drains that would be under the local CEO= Code Enforcement Office, LPI= Local Plumbing Inspector or the AHJ = Authority Having Jurisdiction depending on what your town goes by.

Edited by JCM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, JCM said:

It is the State Fire Marshals office under solid fuel appliances, I just looked it up. Not allowed in garages. You may be able to do the second floor.

I'll check into it before we start chimney construction.  

The garage area may be heated with propane. Certainly will be electric heat in there.  

• Like 2

JCM

Wisconsin sure is different than Maine by the looks of things. 36'' from combustibles for old school stoves. Newer type go by the installation instructions.

• Like 3

Handy Don
50 minutes ago, JCM said:

Wisconsin sure is different than Maine by the looks of things. 36'' from combustibles for old school stoves. Newer type go by the installation instructions.

When I installed our wood stove I got the suggestions from the manufacturer, the village code, the state code, and the industry association recommendations--then went ahead and exceeded all of them.

I wanted to be able to sleep at night without worry. And I do.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Handy Don said:

When I installed our wood stove I got the suggestions from the manufacturer, the village code, the state code, and the industry association recommendations--then went ahead and exceeded all of them.

I wanted to be able to sleep at night without worry. And I do.

That's exactly what we did here when we installed the woodstove upstairs in the house.  

• Like 1

lynnmor
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That's exactly what we did here when we installed the woodstove upstairs in the house.  

I wonder if an outdoor wood furnace might make sense in your case.  Yes, they are expensive but you could feed two or more buildings and burn all kinds of poor quality wood.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I wonder if an outdoor wood furnace might make sense in your case.  Yes, they are expensive but you could feed two or more buildings and burn all kinds of poor quality wood.

The convenience of being able to use more types of wood would be great... But the cost...

We'd have to install 2 entirely new heating systems. House and barn. 

It just isn't financially viable.  

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:        In hindsight, I wish I had invested in an outdoor unit when I bought my indoor 55 years ago. 

The only negative,  they need power to function.

• Like 2

JCM

To reiterate a bit on the subject of barn heat, yes radiant would be very nice but way to involved and costly for many reasons we don't need to discuss here. Not sure if you would entertain the idea of a certain area on the bottom floor partitioned off whatever size needed for your workshop and heat that with a Gas fired Modine heater. Years back we called them unit heaters, today Modine has a Hot Dawg heater. You can buy them a few different ways. For the workshop the sealed combustion type would be ideal bringing make up air into the unit. They are a bit louder than the old school unit heater, but no carbon monoxide issues. For the open area another Modine , both on separate thermostats. I think you may find you won't use the one in the open area as much as the one in the shop. I have 2 Modines in Mass, 1 in the small shop and 1 in the separate garage and have worked well for many years. very low maintenance units. I also have a Hot Dawg here in Maine in the garage and no issues with that either. We can discuss installation when we meet up again. Food for thought my friend. A wood stove would be ideal on the second floor if we could get all parties involved on the same page. Then again we could sit back and watch Trina do it all.   :ROTF:    :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, JCM said:

unit heaters

Interesting you'd bring that up.  

If we go the way we want to we'd have 2 unit heaters minimum, per floor. One large electric and one propane. 

16 minutes ago, JCM said:

Then again we could sit back and watch Trina do it all.   :ROTF:    :thumbs:

This is what I ALWAYS do.  

😂

• Haha 1

wallfish
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

One large electric and one propane. 

Propane definitely creates moisture in the form of humidity. Something to consider. Found this on the net .

Moisture buildup can be a big problem in tiny spaces during the Winter. If you're using an un-vented or "vent-free" propane appliance like a catalytic heater, "blue flame" heater, or certain instant water heaters, your appliance is adding 1.6 pounds of moisture into your space for every pound of propane burned.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

Propane definitely creates moisture in the form of humidity. Something to consider. Found this on the net .

Moisture buildup can be a big problem in tiny spaces during the Winter. If you're using an un-vented or "vent-free" propane appliance like a catalytic heater, "blue flame" heater, or certain instant water heaters, your appliance is adding 1.6 pounds of moisture into your space for every pound of propane burned.

2 hours ago, JCM said:

For the workshop the sealed combustion type would be ideal bringing make up air into the unit. They are a bit louder than the old school unit heater, but no carbon monoxide issues.

Heartily recommend sealed combustion gas appliances that pull combustion air in from and push combustion gasses out to a location outside the heated space. It does require an air filter (to prevent contamination of the igniter and burner) and a small electric fan to force the airflow. @JCM, can the sealed units you refer to use PVC for both intake and exhaust, as my water heater does?

• Like 2

JCM

I have not installed these heaters in some years and they were always vented with 4'' diameter 26 guage flue pipe with 3 screws per section and sealed with high temp red caulking I have never seen any vented with pvc. The sealed combustion type can be side wall vented as well to keep away from roof penetrations too. I am hearing that a lot of the pvc venting is going away because of the issues with it failing.  @Handy Don

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, JCM said:

because of the issues with it failing

I'll have to look into that! The water heater's Inlet air is roughly the outdoor temperature, of course. The temp of the exhaust is low enough that I can hold the pipe comfortably. It has a condensate drain as well since it is cooling below the dew point of the moisture in the exhaust (at the outlet I see a bit of steam only when outdoors it's very cold and humidity is high). 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

So here's a question for you.....

How large of an area would you clear if the building was going to be a total of 40 deep by 44 wide including the two side wings?

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Given your acreage (I think) I’d go 20’ around. Allows for ease of construction and maintenance as well as adequate area to grade for water drainage…

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

So here's a question for you.....

How large of an area would you clear if the building was going to be a total of 40 deep by 44 wide including the two side wings?

The nearest tall tree distance... ask me how I know.... 

Whole back corner of the roof on my building got taken out by a tree in a wind storm. Got pics of the damage somewhere in here. 

Actually came out stinking like a rose on it. Insurance was very kind. They figured I would hire someone to fix it but did it myself with less than half the materials figured. 

20220313_183332[1].jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

nearest tall tree distance

I agree with the logic of that but I live in a forest with 80 to 120 ft trees and I don't want to strip that much land...

On the plus side I'm well insured. 

😀💰

• Like 2

WHX??
On 3/12/2022 at 8:17 PM, JCM said:

Wisconsin sure is different than Maine by the looks of things.

Prolly is stiffer there. Here they only bother with single or multi family dwellings and of course commercial. Your building a garage all that's needed is a building permit so they can jack yer taxes  They weren't even inspecting codes during covids... Just send them pics and they blessed yer project. In other words Plunge all you woulda had to to is send them a pic of your pressure gauge on a DWV job they woulda never even known what job it was. What's worst is now that covids is over and they can get out for a site visit inspectors they got lazy and still just do pics. 

• Haha 2