ClassicTractorProfessor

Engines...almost as addicting as tractors

ClassicTractorProfessor

Going on a short road trip Saturday morning to pick up two, possibly three more engines. The purple Maytag Twin is a 1940 model, and the other is a 1944 International LB. May also be picking up a 1937 Maytag Twin, if the guy ahead of me backs out on buying it, secretly hoping he does back out, as the 37 model has a long base tank, which I have never seen on a twin before. Check back for updates, and those of you who follow my YouTube channel will probably have a video or two up soon after we get home

received_631621268096688.jpeg

received_1046037452645400.jpeg

received_2940882446209405.jpeg

• Excellent 8

ebinmaine

I didn't know these little kick starts existed til maybe a couple years ago. Neat stuff. 

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I didn't know these little kick starts existed til maybe a couple years ago. Neat stuff. 

Yes they are neat...addicting too. Bought my first one at a show last May...single Cylinder 92. Now we are up to 4 singles and two maybe three twins depending on what happens with the green one Saturday 

• Like 1

Pullstart

Awesome stuff.  I’d like to reverse engineer one of those kick starts some day and incorporate that into a :wh: build.

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
30 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Awesome stuff.  I’d like to reverse engineer one of those kick starts some day and incorporate that into a :wh: build.

Funny you should mention that...I've been thinking about fitting a 92 on to the two seater build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
42 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

10 minutes ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

Funny you should mention that...I've been thinking about fitting a 92 on to the two seater build.

What's the horsepower range on those?. I know a lot of them were pretty small...

Pullstart
33 minutes ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

23 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What's the horsepower range on those?. I know a lot of them were pretty small...

cool idea, that’s one way to get it done!  EB I bet it would be enough to putt around shows with…

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

cool idea, that’s one way to get it done!  EB I bet it would be enough to putt around shows with…

I've only seen the little bitty ones that were .5 to about 1.25 horse. Until yesterday I didn't even know they ever made a twin cylinder.

• Like 1

Pullstart
Just now, ebinmaine said:

I've only seen the little bitty ones that were .5 to about 1.25 horse. Until yesterday I didn't even know they ever made a twin cylinder.

mind. Blown.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

ClassicTractorProfessor

@Pullstart @ebinmaine if memory serves me correctly I think the single cylinder 92s were 3/4 HP and the twins were 1 HP. It is awful small for a tractor, but for just putting around shows and starting conversation I don't see why it wouldn't work. When we were at the steam and gas engine show in Pawnee last May (incidentally the same show we bought our first 92 that started this whole new addiction) there was a small custom built tractor powered by a 92. The little lady that owned it was parading around with a little trailer in tow giving kids rides. 

I thought I had taken a picture of the little tractor, but I can't seem to find it. I did however find a video someone took of the little tractor in action

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

for just putting around shows and starting conversation I don't see why it wouldn't work

Agreed. 

You gear that right and stay on flat ground 😂 (see what I did there?) It should be fine. 

• Haha 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
18 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Agreed. 

You gear that right and stay on flat ground 😂 (see what I did there?) It should be fine. 

:ROTF: staying on flat ground won't be much of a problem around here, biggest incline it would ever face would be the ramps loading it onto the trailer LOL

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

:ROTF: staying on flat ground won't be much of a problem around here, biggest incline it would ever face would be the ramps loading it onto the trailer LOL

That just.....

I can barely even comprehend it.  

🤯

Handy Don
9 hours ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

:lol: Some of your photos bring home the "horizon to horizon" view you have. Quite a different terrain for us "hill dwellers"!

• Like 1

953 nut
On 2/24/2022 at 10:13 AM, Pullstart said:

When I was a kid I had a Cushman with a kick start engine, looked like the one in this picture.

Vintage Cushman Rescued From Chicken Coop - Ride CT & Ride New England

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

the "horizon to horizon" view

For us to see a full view we have to get to the top of a mountain.  

Bryce can just climb a step ladder 🪜😂

• Haha 4

Jeff-C175

Sure wish I could find an addict willing to take these three B&S 6S engines off my hands!

• Haha 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
8 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Sure wish I could find an addict willing to take these three B&S 6S engines off my hands!

If you wasn't so far away we would probably do that lol

• Sad 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

70 miles, two and half hours, and $700 later we made it home with the engines...didn't get the green one...YET...he's giving the guy a few more days to come and pick it up...if he doesn't we will be buying it as well. But overall very happy with the deal we got today...both engines run really well and look good too...and when I mentioned that I wanted to power an ice cream freezer off of one of the Maytags...the guy gave us an old White Mountain hand crank ice cream freezer...so overall we had a really good day...now for the pics everyone is wanting 

20220226_174724.jpg

20220226_174736.jpg

20220226_180114.jpg

20220226_180123.jpg

20220226_180129.jpg

20220226_185744.jpg

20220226_185751.jpg

20220226_185811.jpg

20220226_185834.jpg

20220226_185845.jpg

20220226_185849.jpg

20220226_185855.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHNJ701

Nice looking international lb.  I have a complete one that needs restoration.  I tried for over a year to give it away for free.  No takers.  Figured someone at least would take it for parts or take it and sell the parts.  I was going to bust it up for scrap but felt bad.  Stuffed it away in one of the storage sheds for now

Edited by jabelman
  • Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
53 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Nice looking international lb.  I have a complete one that needs restoration.  I tried for over a year to give it away for free.  No takers.  Figured someone at least would take it for parts or take it and sell the parts.  I was going to bust it up for scrap but felt bad.  Stuffed it away in one of the storage sheds for now

Thanks, I can't believe no one would take a free engine. If I stumbled across a deal like that I wouldn't be able to get it loaded fast enough LOL. But I must say thank you for not scrapping it, too many of these old engines have been sent off to the scrapper already, I'm sure someday someone will come along and want to bring it back to life again

ClassicTractorProfessor

Made another set of skids for Tasha's Maytag today...I was happy with how they turned out and she loves them

20220227_150234.jpg

20220227_150241.jpg

20220227_150246.jpg

20220227_161424.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

Took advantage of the nice warm afternoon and got both Twins out for a run. When we bought Tasha's engine yesterday we were able to hear it run, but only for a few seconds before it ran out of gas. The guy we got it from offered to put more gas in it so we could hear it run longer, but I told him not to worry I heard it start and run that's all that mattered. Thought about dragging the LB out and really making some noise, but decided against it...that thing is HEAVY to move around. 

• Like 1