Oldskool

Custom golf cart

Oldskool

As luck would have it I was just gifted 18 metal newel posts. Approx 1-1/4 square by 30+ish inches long approx 16-14ga. material.

I think those will come in quite handy. 

20230219_154830.jpg

Stormin

Forgot all about this. got me wondering which will get finished soonest? Custom golf cart or Colossus?

• Haha 4

squonk
7 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Forgot all about this. got me wondering which will get finished soonest? Custom golf cart or Colossus?

I think we all know the answer to that! :techie-hourglass:  :teasing-blah::teasing-blah::teasing-blah::confusion-helpsos::coffee::techie-computer::confusion-waiting:

• Haha 3

Oldskool
11 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Well that's a good question. Good bit of work to be done on either one.

SylvanLakeWH

Maybe you Mainahs could get together and build a colossal golf cart... :confusion-confused:

• Haha 5
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Maybe you Mainahs could get together and build a colossal golf cart... :confusion-confused:

That boy gotts a interesting idea.  

4 hours ago, Stormin said:

Custom golf cart or Colossus?

I can near to guarantee it'll be the golf cart.  

🤠

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool

I have finally managed to get some shop time in.

Chopping and welding some of those newel posts together. Maybe I'll have a semi finished product later this afternoon.

20230226_105805.jpg

• Like 5

Oldskool

Not as far as I was hoping for today.

One step closer 

20230226_173248.jpg

20230226_173451.jpg

• Like 7

Oldskool

So I had a chance to walk around this project a couple times today after work while getting and putting away the snowblower.

I'm thinking of stiffening up the pipe frame a bit.

My dilemma is.... would welding 2in x 1/4"angle iron on the top of the the pipe like a cap give me enough strength?

Or would I be better off trusting it with 1"x1" 1/8" tubing turned 45degree from the pipe with sections of flat stock welding inbetween periodically?

OR some other method?

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Oldskool said:

would welding 2in x 1/4"angle iron on the top of the the pipe like a cap give me enough strength?

Or would I be better off trusting it with 1"x1" 1/8" tubing turned 45degree from the pipe with sections of flat stock welding inbetween periodically?

If the tubes you built are 2" square I kinda like the option A.  

Aesthetically it would be consistent and 1/4 is pretty rugged angle iron.   

Oldskool
23 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

If the tubes you built are 2" square  

The frame is 2in ID pipe approx. 3/16 wall

• Like 1

TractorEd
14 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Or would I be better off

I agree with eb.  But if it were me, I’d take a few more walks around and glances at it before thinking on it a bit.

• Like 1

Handy Don
13 hours ago, Oldskool said:

The frame is 2in ID pipe approx. 3/16 wall

I’d like to hear @Pullstart chime in on this with his experience on larger vehicles.

That pipe is pretty sturdy but it may need some stiffening to limit flex and possibly twisting. Hard to say at a distance.

• Like 2

Pullstart

I’d like to see some pictures of the ideas… hold a piece up and snap a pic for us to chew on maybe?  I do know one thing.  Triangulation trumps thickness whenever possible.  I’ve gotten some massive strength in my buggy front end (I’ve been getting the buggy itch lately) by adding this all diameter and thinner wall tubing, but with structurally sound design.

08E6DF54-4CBD-4E9B-A740-3406DAA253E7.jpeg

B443DE7F-91D3-4928-AC9B-BD3FF366B84A.jpeg

• Like 4

wallfish

:text-yeahthat:

"Beefing it up" with triangles gives support in all directions. Like Kevin's buggy is. Even the original frame is triangles everywhere

• Like 2

Oldskool
10 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I’d like to see some pictures of the ideas… hold a piece up and snap a pic for us to chew on maybe?  I do know one thing.  Triangulation trumps thickness whenever possible.  

Here are some ideas from scrap laying around. I will buy new when a design is settled on.

My trouble spot is the 5ft straight run of frame.

This rig won't be used for extreme off road. Mostly to carry the wife's and my butts to camp along with some coolers and such.

The biggest issue is the massive amount of potholes and ruts along the way.

20230303_201139.jpg

20230303_201427.jpg

20230303_201521.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Mostly to carry the wife's and my butts to camp along with some coolers and such

You get yaseff into the coolers n such enough and the crookedessness won't matter.  😂

• Haha 2

Pullstart

Well, that’s triangulation to a point… it would prevent twisting for sure.

• Like 2

8ntruck

An acquaint of mine used to campaign an Olds Starfire in a road race series.  His roll cage  was triangulate in 3 dimensions into a point that was on the centerline of the car about a foot off the car's floor, just behind thedriver's seat.

That car also had an interesting carb.  Class rules limited the carb to a more or less stock Rochester 2 barrel.  That one was the big bore 2 barrel used on trucks, but with a casting number for the smaller class spec. carb. 

• Like 3

Oldskool
8 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Well, that’s triangulation to a point… it would prevent twisting for sure.

I'm looking for most strength with the least amount of weight. I know it's probably a give and take 

• Like 2

Oldskool

Did get to do some welding today.

I'm thinking this part will be hardtop.

From there to the windshield post will probably be much like a canvas type Jeep bikini top.

20230304_142831.jpg

20230304_143309.jpg

• Excellent 4

Oldskool

I think this maybe the gas tank I'll use.

It's a generator tank. Possibly 2 -2.5 gallons. It will probably be mounted under the bed floor at the rear with access thru a hatch cover of sorts.

20230305_163910.jpg

• Like 2

Handy Don

You might be surprised. My “square pancake” fuel tank on a 9hp generator holds 6+ gallons. That one doesn’t look much different. Post the dimensions and I’ll do the math!

• Like 2

Oldskool
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

You might be surprised. My “square pancake” fuel tank on a 9hp generator holds 6+ gallons. That one doesn’t look much different. Post the dimensions and I’ll do the math!

I think it's about 18"x22"x4"

Handy Don

28 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I think it's about 18"x22"x4"

If it had squared corners, it’d be about 6.8 gallons. Since it’s a bit beveled on the sides, figure 6.5.

Nice!

Remember that gas weighs about 6 lbs per gallon (plus the tank itself) so you’ll need strong supports!

• Like 1