Maxwell-8

Storing your horses.

Maxwell-8

This topic may result in some nice pictures of peoples horse collections :thumbs2:But I have limited space I can use to store my horses. Since I am buying new projects.

I have been thinking about storing my tractors as efficient as possible. I want them all to be indoors and so do the implements

The problem I run into is that I have a hard time choosing which tractor is going on the seconded or last row. (I am getting to emotional involved into this :lol:)

How do you guys store your horses in smaller garages and still give them enough "personal space"? I also don't to be crawling over horse to get to another one or have to move a couple just to enjoy a drive on one, or have to take out the forklift :lol:@pullstart.

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Snoopy11

Well... I don't have a lot of horses, but I have a horse along with a lot of other equipment. What I have found with the equipment is... if I put the 'most used' equipment last, obviously, this is beneficial. 

Now, for parking. If you park them all in straight lines, bumper to bumper, you can get whichever one you want out by moving the second to last and last tractor out. But, as much side to side parking you can do in your space is better than bumper to bumper.

I have a massive shop... so I do have a lot of room... but I also have a lot of 'stuff' ...so... yeah...

Don

• Like 2

Pullstart

There are various members who store their tractors on home built shelving/racks.  You don’t need a hi-lo to put ‘em in a rack, but it sure helps!

6A2D4BFB-F76F-4320-BEC7-4889CDEBB0E4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Snoopy11

How do... you get them down... @Pullstart...?:confusion-confused:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

By the way, that is some BIG chain on the back of the Horse at the top left...:scared-eek:

You plan on pulling a dump truck out of the mud with that... @Pullstart:laughing-rolling:

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Don

No... better question... how do you get them up there??? :confusion-confused:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 2

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Don

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Pullstart
1 minute ago, Snoopy11 said:

No... better question... how do you get them up there??? :confusion-confused:

Don

same process as getting them down, hopefully!  The fork extensions are just racking crossmembers cut in half and slid over the forks.  I use a heavy solid core wire to just tie them to the mast of the fork truck.

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11

I... just picked myself up off the floor, @Pullstart...

Don

• Haha 1

oliver2-44

I’ve been watching for some of that racking at a reasonable price. Most of it seems gold plated around here

My poor tractors are packed in a small barn or it’s front covered area. I just have to start moving them to get the on I want. Crawling over them to keep tires aired up is always fun. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, oliver2-44 said:

I’ve been watching for some of that racking at a reasonable price.

I wonder if you could build your own with scrap steel? :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Don

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Don

Him. Big. Strong.

It's also been exhibited and proven on multiple occasions beyond all possible reasonable doubt that the wearing of flip-flops increases your tractor lifting capacity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Snoopy11
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

wearing of flip-flops increases your tractor lifting capacity

Okay, you don't want to see me in flip flops... I don't even own a pair.

The chances of me wearing flip flops are equivalent to the chance of me wearing a speedo...

NEVER going to happen.:laughing-rofl::confusion-helpsos::laughing-rofl:

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Snoopy11
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Him. Big. Strong.

Yeah, that was the first thought that came to my mind... but that shelf is pretty high... :ph34r:

Believe you me... I have done my share of muscling my HellHorse...

Honestly... when I need to change a tire... I don't use a jack... I just pick the back of the tractor up a little and slide a cylinder block under the trans with my foot... :banana-wrench:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

Trina and I have four covered spaces and kind of covered, the parts pile and Future projects.

1. The basement workshop. Over the last couple years we've slowly gravitated more and more towards using the basement workshop year-round because it's cool in the summer and warm in the winter like a workshop should be. Humidity is controlled. Like any workshop it could be a little bigger but it has adequate space.

The basement workshop is not for storing of any tractors. The ones that are in there are projects in progress or something in for maintenance or repairs.

2. The outdoor workshop. This is a 16x20 ft Wood construction solid building. If the temperature is anywhere between 25 or 30 up to about 75 or 80 we've been known to use the outdoor workshop for maintenance and repairs. I do also on a regular basis leave a tractor in there if it's convenient.

What consists of an excuse for my welding setup sits in the front doorway of the outdoor workshop and I do all my welding up against the stone wall which is opposite to it.

3 and 4 are portable temporary garage structures.

The larger of the two is 13x20 on the base. That houses my truck, primarily. I need to move that around a little bit and reorganize before winter really sets in and at that point we will be able to use that structure to house a machine or two such as lawn mower or snow blower, etc.

The other portable garage is something like 12x20. That's what we refer to as the Horse stable. There's usually three or four tractors in there including both of our primary workers.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

The basement workshop is not for storing of any tractors. The ones that are in there

How do you get horses downstairs? You got an elevator? :laughing-rofl:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

How do you get horses downstairs? You got an elevator? :laughing-rofl:

Don

Strong BBT. 

Or a daylight basement house. 

We have french doors leading into the basement.  

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Strong BBT

Is there anything the Boss doesn’t do? Or, to put it another way, what is it you do with the :wh:‘s…?

:confusion-confused:

:ychain:

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

, what is it you do with the :wh:‘s…?

:confusion-confused:

:ychain:

I ain't do nuttin. Imma supahvisah. 

24 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Is there anything the Boss doesn’t do?

A year or 3 ago my Mom asked the same question. 

Trina's response was "I don't know. I haven't tried everything yet."

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

EB-80/8inPA

Welcome to the club of spatially challenged persons.  You must ask yourself; “Do I really need a Living Room?”  Honestly, half of that seating is there for people you don’t want to see or talk to anyway and who mercifully enough show up only on rare occasions anyway.  Am I wrong?

Think about it!

Disclaimer:  If you’re married or otherwise cohabitating, ignore all that.

Edited by EB-80/8inPA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Heart 1

Maxwell-8
1 minute ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Welcome to the club of spatially challenged persons.  You must ask yourself; “Do I really need a Living Room?”  Honestly, half of that seating is there for people you don’t want to see or talk to anyway and who mercifully enough show up only on rare occasions anyway.  Am I wrong?

Think about it!

Disclaimer:  If you’re married or otherwise cohabiting, ignore all that.

So you say, we would better be off storing our horses in the living room...:eusa-think:

I do know a guy who stores his chainsaw on the kitchen counter:lol:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

EB-80/8inPA
1 minute ago, Maxwell-8 said:

So you say, we would better be off storing our horses in the living room...:eusa-think:

I’m just suggesting one makes the best use of the limited space at one’s disposal, wherever that might be! :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

I’m just suggesting one makes the best use of the limited space at one’s disposal, wherever that might be! :)

Interesting you'd say that.  

The BBT and I are so engrossed in the life we lead and equipment etc that it's absolute commonplace to have nuts bolts hardware parts what have you pretty much any/everywhere at any given time. 

EB-80/8inPA
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Interesting you'd say that.  

Throwing the children out of the house to commandeer their bedrooms was certainly not my first preference, but I must say, I did give them fifty bucks and a Greyhound ticket to see the world.  What’s a man to do, anyway?  I needed that dust free space to rebuild the Sunstrand, ffs!

• Like 3

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Throwing the children out of the house to commandeer their bedrooms was certainly not my first preference, but I must say, I did give them fifty bucks and a Greyhound ticket to see the world.  What’s a man to do, anyway?  I needed that dust free space to rebuild the Sunstrand, ffs!

I don't see a problem here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1