Horse Newbie

1984 Work Horse GT-1600 REFRESH

Horse Newbie

Oil leak at transmission input shaft...

20211030_184111_HDR.jpg

Horse Newbie
5 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

You should have the #5091 Wheel Horse transmission

According to this, I would have the 5086 transmission.

Screenshot_20211030-224338.png

oliver2-44
4 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Also, is there any kind of seal around the Hi-Lo selector shaft ?

I’ve read on here where some have slipped an O-ring around the base of the Hi/Lo shifter to divert any water. 

Also with the axle seals out would be a good time to check for any up/down play in your axle bearing. Anything more than a slight movement wound indicate the axle bearings are worn. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

kpinnc
7 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

You should have the #5091 Wheel Horse transmission

The 5091 transmission has 1.125 axles and 8 pinions. Since 1976, the same transmission was a 103907. 

The 5086 would be correct for a Work Horse and all the seals are the same except for the 1 inch axle seals. It is a 4 pinion as well.

Horse Newbie
23 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

I’ve read on here where some have slipped an O-ring around the base of the Hi/Lo shifter to divert any water. 

Also with the axle seals out would be a good time to check for any up/down play in your axle bearing. Anything more than a slight movement wound indicate the axle bearings are worn. 

Can you replace axle bearings without taking the transmission apart ?

Horse Newbie
16 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

The 5086 would be correct for a Work Horse and all the seals are the same except for the 1 inch axle seals. It is a 4 pinion as well.

All the seals are the same...do you mean the same on multiple years, or the same on the 5086 transmission ?

As in the input shaft and brake shaft...I know the axles(1"dia.) are different than the input and brake...

And 8 pinion is a more stout trans than a 4 pinion correct ?

kpinnc
3 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Can you replace axle bearings without taking the transmission apart ?

That question, or my answer- may blow up this thread...

It has been discussed many times that you can drive the outer needle bearings in and put new bearings in on top of them. I don't personally see a problem doing this, provided the originals remain intact.

Disclaimer: If your axles have what you feel is excessive play with the original bearings, it's worth checking the condition of the axles, and that most definitely requires opening the case.

So the short answer is yes, but opinions may vary.

• Like 1

kpinnc
4 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

All the seals are the same...do you mean the same on multiple years, or the same on the 5086 transmission ?

As in the input shaft and brake shaft...I know the axles(1"dia.) are different than the input and brake...

And 8 pinion is a more stout trans than a 4 pinion correct ?

I meant the seals for the 5091 are the same as the 5086- except for the axle seals. They are 1 inch ID. Input and brake seals are the same.

The 5086 (4 pinion) would be considered lighter duty than the 5091/ 103907 (8 pinion), but is still a very strong transmission. Most 300 series and other models use it, and the two I have work like mountain goats. I've never had a problem with them.

• Excellent 1

oliver2-44

No the transmission has to come apart for axle bearings. But there’s plenty of great transmission help here if needed. If you can rebuild a mower deck spindle you can rebuild a transmission. 

• Like 1

Stormin

Any play in those needle roller axle bearings, Take them out and replace them. My C-121 (Black Horse) had been run by some PO with one knackered. Some needles had gone through the main  bearing and knackered that. Caused something of a problem as no new main bearings in the UK. Did some mods to the cases and fitted metric ones.

I believe you can now get new main bearings in the States.

BTW. I've found the posts on the 1600 B&S twin interesting. Same as my Sears GT 16. :thumbs:

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 3

ebinmaine
55 minutes ago, Stormin said:

believe you can now get new

Everything is available thanks to Lowell. 

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, kpinnc said:

That question, or my answer- may blow up this thread...

It has been discussed many times that you can drive the outer needle bearings in and put new bearings in on top of them. I don't personally see a problem doing this, PROVIDED THE ORIGINALS REMAIN INTACT.

Disclaimer: If your axles have what you feel is excessive play with the original bearings, it's worth checking the condition of the axles, and that most definitely requires opening the case.

So the short answer is yes, but opinions may vary.

This is a situation where the answer is based on "can do" vs "should do". 

The chances of the worn out bearings remaining intact are near zero in my experience. 

It may be technically possible to drive the outer bearing in and leave it on the axle. 

IMHO that's a NoNo. 

The old bearing ring cage could cause axle damage. If the needle bearings are out (quite likely) they can absolutely destroy the inner axle roller bearings. 

As stated there's plenty of help here on all subjects. 

These transmissions are very easy to rebuild/repair. 

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

These transmissions are very easy to rebuild/repair. 

And if I muff it up I can always drag it to @kpinnc 's house. He made the mistake of telling me almost where he lives ! :lol: 

And besides, he's gonna need a project after he finishes his dads tractor...which BTW, let me say I have never seen anyone with more mechanical skills by the looks of what he's done so far !

Hint, Hint !:dance:

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

@ebinmaine...see how I did that...I made you proud, huh ?:lol:

Grasping for the flimsy reed, and I'm not even in the water yet...

Every project has a planning stage ! :lol:

• Haha 1

Horse Newbie

Came out this morning and drained the transmission on the 1984 Work Horse GT-1600 8 Speed...

Clean water poured out for at least the first 10 seconds...

Tilted her up to get over the hump...

Think I got her up far enough ?

20211031_104321.jpg

20211031_104313.jpg

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Came out this morning and drained the transmission on the 1984 Work Horse GT-1600 8 Speed...

Clean water poured out for at least the first 10 seconds...

Tilted her up to get over the hump...

Think I got her up far enough ?

Horse Newbie

I checked the axle bearings by trying to move the axle ends up and down and side to side...had absolutely no movement up and down and about 1/8th inch side to side...is this okay ?

Horse Newbie

While the gear oil is continuing to drain I decided to put the clutch disc back on the Briggs output shaft/ crank end.

I had to file just a smiggun of paint off the hole for it to slide on.

Oh and I was asking in a previous comment if those flat crescent shaped pieces of metal were supposed to have the edges bent up to lock the bolts in place... they weren't.

They fit into the groove in the crank.

The bolts don't line up if the crescent shaped metal pieces are not in the grooves.

The paint has dried on the PTO assembly ( guess that's what you call it )... it came out okay I guess.

20211031_113003.jpg

20211031_113438.jpg

20211031_113428.jpg

Horse Newbie

See that hole on the back off PTO assembly ? I'm gonna wipe those needle bearings in there with a clean cloth...

What should I lubricate them with ?... I'm thinking slab some bearing grease in there.

20211031_113428.jpg

Stormin
50 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I checked the axle bearings by trying to move the axle ends up and down and side to side...had absolutely no movement up and down and about 1/8th inch side to side...is this okay ?

I would have thought if there's sideways movement, there should be vertical movement. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I'm sorry for the confusion I caused by typing the wrong transmission number...I get dyslexic from time to time.  If you look, I did say you had 1" axles and a 4 pinion differential.  I corrected the 5091 to be #5086.  I was thinking that if you did have to open the transmission, my video thread for the #5091 transmission would be the thread to see for your #5086.  The only difference is 1" axles instead of 1 1/8" and 4 pinion differential instead of an 8 pinion.  If you really have 1/8" play from side to side and all that water, I would consider opening the trans.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Lee1977
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

They all have some movement side to side, they have a C-clip holding the axle in on a splined and it's not a tight fit allowing some movement.

• Like 1

Lee1977
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

See that hole on the back off PTO assembly ? I'm gonna wipe those needle bearings in there with a clean cloth...

What should I lubricate them with ?... I'm thinking slab some bearing grease in there.

20211031_113428.jpg

Don't use much it needs a little but too much will get on the clutch disk. It only uses that bearing when it's not in use.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Making sure you have this

Horse Newbie
58 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I'm sorry for the confusion I caused by typing the wrong transmission number...

No apologies needed @stevasaurus... There is so much to know about the WH's, and I certainly take more from Red Square than I give ! I wish it were not that way , but I'm learning everyday.

• Excellent 1