formariz

NOVA II Ignition module.

formariz

I have a substantial number of K91s that reside outside. Inevitably points always oxidize making them hard to start or not starting at all. My solution is to eliminate points and substitute them with  NOVA II electronic module. Instant starts in any kind of weather regardless how long they sit. Also automatic instant perfect timing. A convenient place to install it is on points cover by removing push button and spring.

761B1E4C-C0D3-4CA4-96C7-536C7453C52B.jpeg.45f355fcb433ddd799cd61925231b713.jpeg

CAB399B1-8C10-48ED-ABFC-6DAEA4305FF1.jpeg.e85ed613ee3c2463e0e9477da0261ad1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

So these are a pull start obviously... No charging system?

Excellent adaptation. 

formariz
23 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

So these are a pull start obviously... No charging system?

Excellent adaptation. 

Right all the ones sitting outside are pull start magneto ignition.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

We have a module adapted ignition in the Briggs that currently sets in Trina's 657 Pony tractor. Starts excellent. Runs well. 

I'd like to have more of them but all our other engines have charging systems and hence have too many magnets in the flywheel. 

formariz

Another thing to keep in mind when they are outside and particularly have a metal tank, is to have a sediment bowl installed. It will separate water from the inevitable condensation in a partially filled tank preventing it from going to carburetor. I need to clear water from them in a regular basis.

• Like 1

Dirty Dingus Magee

i am curious , why do you have all these motors sitting outside?

• Like 1

Pullstart

Is there a more involved thread on the conversion process?  My guess is any single/Kohler is the same job?

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

My guess is any single/Kohler is the same job?

As long as it does NOT have a charging system. 

The magnets in the flywheel that are part of the charging system throw too many signals at the module. 

• Like 1

formariz
5 hours ago, Dirty Dingus Magee said:

i am curious , why do you have all these motors sitting outside?

They don’t sit by themselves.Let’s see. Totally exposed to weather. K91s only . There are others but I only use the modules on these.

3  fully operable RJs that wife has taken over as lawn ornaments .

1 log splitter

1 grindstone

forgot one Techy H40 also

Edited by formariz

formariz
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

Is there a more involved thread on the conversion process?

It’s very simple. One merely removes ignition wire from points and attaches it to positive of module. Connect module ground wire to engine. 
it’s done. You don’t even have to attach module if you don’t want to since it is so small and weighs nothing.

if it does not fire, reverse connections. For whatever reason half of the K91s I have them on work that way with negative attached to ignition wire.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Ridiculously simple. 

Pullstart
50 minutes ago, formariz said:

It’s very simple. One merely removes ignition wire from points and attaches it to positive of module. Connect module ground wire to engine. 
it’s done. You don’t even have to attach module if you don’t want to since it is so small and weighs nothing.

if it does not fire, reverse connections. For whatever reason half of the K91s I have them on work that way with negative attached to ignition wire.

48 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Ridiculously simple. 

and the magnets fire it at the precise time without points?

formariz

Just some advice if any of you decide to do this.

I am referring here to the brand NOVAII! There are many selling out there relatively cheaper that are knock offs. They look identical with the exception that they don’t have Nova II cast on body for obvious reasons. They are however many time incredibly advertised as such.

Stay away from them . They do not last. Ask me how I know. 

formariz
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

and the magnets fire it at the precise time without points?

Hard to believe right? YES. Perfect timing. If you read a bit about them you will understand how they work. Brian Miller’s site is the perfect place to do that. That is how I got started with them. Keep in mind that they also will not work with battery ignition, only magneto.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, formariz said:

Keep in mind that they also will not work with battery ignition, only magneto.

keep in mind I’d much rather @pullstart than most other starts :handgestures-thumbupright:

:lol:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Just caught wind of this thread... thanks Ollie @oliver2-44,  and funny I have not heard of these gizmos before. Dan @Achto did you know about these?  Question is will they work on Mag

Clintons or Briggs when the points reside under the flywheel? We all know what a pain it is to pull tins and flywheels just to clean points.

My K91's do not reside outside but are still prone to the points oxy issue. Especially if they have not been run in awhile. 

On 8/6/2021 at 5:32 PM, formariz said:

that are knock offs

Like these Cas? 

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-ELECTRONIC-TRANSISTORIZED-ROP-Shop/dp/B06XKL8ZFN/ref=asc_df_B06XKL8ZFN/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242087006306&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3303931714434123750&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019451&hvtargid=pla-438152555895&psc=1

Achto
4 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Dan @Achto did you know about these?  Question is will they work on Mag

Clintons or Briggs when the points reside under the flywheel?

Yes I've heard of and used these on Techy's. They work with most mag ignitions. I don't use them on Briggs engines cause it's easier to just switch to a solid state mag.

• Thanks 1

kpinnc

I've seen these used on a TroyBilt tiller that hadn't started in years. That thing runs great now. Fired and ran on the first pull after installing.

In a world full of gimmicks- it's nice to see the occasional trick item actually work!

Lagersolut
40 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

I've seen these used on a TroyBilt tiller that hadn't started in years. That thing runs great now. Fired and ran on the first pull after installing.

In a world full of gimmicks- it's nice to see the occasional trick item actually work!

I have an old Troy bilt horse I picked 25 years ago with a Briggs . Wasn't taken care of by PO restored it with a short block all those years ago ( among other things ) - If I remember right the short block came with a recommendation to upgrade from points to a magnetron ignition  - 25 years of gardens later that little Briggs still starts on 1st or 2nd pull even after it sits for 4-5 months winter . .