Ifixoldjunk

D463425E-4B73-4589-ADD0-3310835446D9.jpeg.9bdc86ad0e759b060b7cffc01f402071.jpegso the whole corner of my 42 rear discharge was completely rotten away. I’ve welded sheet metal before, but I don’t really know what gauge steel is need for a solid repair. I have 16 gauge on hand. Would something thicker be needed?

Lee1977

I would think your deck is thicker then that but my newest deck is 35 years old.

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

I don’t really know what gauge steel

Use same gauge?  Have a set of calipers?  Measure it!

Ifixoldjunk
11 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Use same gauge?  Have a set of calipers?  Measure it!

Lol, couldn’t find my calipers and the new ones won’t be here until Friday.😬

• Haha 2

Jeff-C175
31 minutes ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

Lol, couldn’t find my calipers and the new ones won’t be here until Friday.😬

I just took a quick measurement of my '80 48" side discharge and came up with 0.125 WITH any 'crud' buildup.

I'm thinking that puts it at maybe 12 gauge, even possibly 11 gauge. (I seem to recall reading 11 gauge somewhere?)

That looks like a challenging repair.  If I were doing it and not worried too much about appearance, I would probably start by forming a piece of 1/4" rod to fit around the radius (the yellow line) and piecing together from there.

That would let you use two pieces and only have to 'roll' along one edge rather than try to form the whole piece.

The 1/4" rod would add back some of the structural rigidity.  Maybe even go to 3/8" ?

image.png.4025c48c6d43122fe00ff333bae3c3b6.png

Unless you have fabricating skills far beyond mine!  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Ifixoldjunk
On 5/25/2021 at 10:06 AM, Jeff-C175 said:

I just took a quick measurement of my '80 48" side discharge and came up with 0.125 WITH any 'crud' buildup.

I'm thinking that puts it at maybe 12 gauge, even possibly 11 gauge. (I seem to recall reading 11 gauge somewhere?)

That looks like a challenging repair.  If I were doing it and not worried too much about appearance, I would probably start by forming a piece of 1/4" rod to fit around the radius (the yellow line) and piecing together from there.

That would let you use two pieces and only have to 'roll' along one edge rather than try to form the whole piece.

The 1/4" rod would add back some of the structural rigidity.  Maybe even go to 3/8" ?

image.png.4025c48c6d43122fe00ff333bae3c3b6.png

Unless you have fabricating skills far beyond mine!  :eusa-think:

CE454FFA-8AF0-4492-9D86-E7EBCA3F3A3D.jpeg.38747fbfe5084cdd8c62270bb0ff3332.jpeg

found some close enough sheet metal and got the patch in. Thanks for the rod idea, should help hold it together for a few more years😅

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

few more years

Omigosh! That look fantastic!  Yeah, far better than I could do!

Kelsey

A+ !!!!

Ifixoldjunk

8ADE5AC9-016A-46F1-B094-7EB9CE28203E.jpeg.154c8b10741970c03dc01111ca019de0.jpegE260B67E-2C7B-4674-8726-A89B65414E75.jpeg.fecb172f6e06b239b4e28a91780645da.jpegfigured I’d update this thread with pictures of the completed repair. Came out relatively decently. 

also, just out of curiosity does anyone know anywhere I could get a seat for the 310? I’ve looked a tractor supply seats but the holes don’t look like they’d line up.

Edited by Ifixoldjunk

pacer

Theres dozens of seats on the bay, many with a multitude of holes to suit most any mount, prices from reasonable to ..... too much!

• Thanks 1