Horse Newbie

48 inch Side Discharge Deck Restoration

Horse Newbie

@Jeff-C175, yes I have the new plastic inserts.

I wonder if JB Weld would perform well if I used that to build the worn areas back up ?

Handy Don
26 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I wonder if JB Weld would perform well if I used that to build the worn areas back up ?

Doubtful it would hold up for even a season.

BTW, the "cupped" item is a Belleville washer put there by a well-intentioned but inexperienced repairer. The correct washers are flat and work with the nylon inserts to "corral" the slide but allow it to move under spring tension.

The slide bar wears, period. As @Jeff-C175 mentioned, you could do a weld build up and re-shape if you have the time, skills, and interest. I'd punt and get the replacement.

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

wonder if JB Weld

I'm thinking it might last a while, like a season or two.  If that application can grind down steel like that, I don't know how long epoxy would last.  

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

While trying to sort out bolts, nuts, and washers needed, I bolted on the spindles…

Had started on the deck carriage, but held off after noticing I had better get the pulleys and idler slide bar on first.

I used anti-sieze on the spindle mounting bolts to prevent the steel bolts from seizing against the aluminum spindle housing… hope that wasn’t a mistake…

Also going to fabricate a “spring catch” for the deflector chute spring…

(this is just a thin metal “mock up” of the catch…

A8DC1A86-D738-41F3-B217-FAD56B359E1B.jpeg

A3A5263D-90B5-4152-AE72-BD9F02F4DB1D.jpeg

07C96E2C-5435-427F-80C9-6B2381B6044E.jpeg

8C461CBF-CBFF-48F0-BED5-4AA4F9D12004.jpeg

9786A327-5F04-47FA-9F2A-AF3CAB96F930.jpeg

E1060E6C-C2B0-4373-A72B-C905070CECD9.jpeg

D1E8EDC6-0655-4BE3-A457-3A458DA26CD9.jpeg

0F0E0559-10FA-4368-ADDE-D8C88F1A2E3B.jpeg

B4A4D0DC-34C1-4555-881D-5774648D30AC.jpeg

24A07F68-4F24-4CFA-97EA-ACA4EA3FC665.jpeg

BBB90052-AC66-48FC-BAAE-B9644B161C8B.jpeg

BD14518E-D93F-4F53-8B0C-F5750E57DC2D.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Excellent 2

Jeff-C175

I don't know how or when you 'clipped' them off my clothesline, but I would like my underwear back!  :omg::text-lol:

image.png.9f62ce02958ff242f0642029b800c07b.png

Otherwise, excellent job!

Can't you just run a bolt through and put the loop on the bolt?

image.png.399896e748ee8b6f8539ef3aaa228767.png

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I don't know how or when you 'clipped' them off my clothesline, but I would like my underwear back!  :omg::text-lol:

image.png.9f62ce02958ff242f0642029b800c07b.png

Otherwise, excellent job!

Can't you just run a bolt through and put the loop on the bolt?

image.png.399896e748ee8b6f8539ef3aaa228767.png

On the first comment…

you never know where a man gets his rags…:lol:

Now on the suggestion for the chute spring… see the little end that goes through the hole in the chute… if I rotate the “hoop” end down to the location of the blue bolt, I would essentially be unwinding the spring, and wouldn’t that cause it to try to lift the chute instead of holding the chute down ? … even though I know that spring is not strong enough to lift it-I don’t think… @Jeff-C175

Horse Newbie

I painted some more deck parts…

B5AF81B4-0A78-45B6-B0F1-372593156C48.jpeg

65FA6FAA-B18B-49B2-B2AC-955FAF0E7D85.jpeg

6A74823C-502D-4CE2-8830-C689B3D68C3C.jpeg

image.jpg

• Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

Now I have a question for you fellas…

I’m pretty sure this is the layout of the nuts and washers on the spindle shafts, but…

I have what almost looks like a jam nut (kinda thin), and lock washer on the top where the grease fitting is…

I have the Nylock nuts on the bottom to hold the blades, but…

(Pretty sure the nuts are in the right place because that’s the threads they fit).

I don’t know where the other two washers go, the big thick washer that says “TSI and

3/4 on it, and the thin washers…

I have heard some talk on here about the importance of the thin washer being in the right place, but I don’t know where it goes… also , of the 3 thin washers that Brian (K&B) sent me with the new spindle kits, one is thicker… does it being thicker matter, or do you guys think I need to contact Brian and ask about it ?

Please see last two pics concerning the thickness of the third washer…

image.jpg

image.jpg

43F769BA-1937-49BB-AB6B-CC8350C9341C.jpeg

DF3BA6CC-72B6-4B33-A131-97FB602C9249.jpeg

1805B210-3269-4EDB-ABD7-13D0E69BC1BC.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
53 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

thin washer being in the right place, but I don’t know where it goes

Someone who is sure will hopefully respond, but my recollection is that the thick washer goes between the spindle nut and the blade, and the thin one goes under the nut.

I wouldn't think that the 'thin' washer thickness would make any difference.

I think you know that the torque spec is like 80-90 ft lbs, yes?  On new spindles I would torque and loosen a couple times to flatten the washers out. I don't think you need the Nyloc nuts.  I'd be a bit concerned that they are too 'soft' for that torque.  They appear to be stainless too... and stainless has a tendency to 'gall' the threads. 

I would use a regular steel Grade 8 bolt myself.

https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/system-of-measurement~inch/hex-nuts/high-strength-steel-hex-nuts-grade-8/

Didn't you get bolts with the spindles? or is that what they came with?

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie
56 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Someone who is sure will hopefully respond, but my recollection is that the thick washer goes between the spindle nut and the blade, and the thin one goes under the nut.

I wouldn't think that the 'thin' washer thickness would make any difference.

I think you know that the torque spec is like 80-90 ft lbs, yes?  On new spindles I would torque and loosen a couple times to flatten the washers out. I don't think you need the Nyloc nuts.  I'd be a bit concerned that they are too 'soft' for that torque.  They appear to be stainless too... and stainless has a tendency to 'gall' the threads. 

I would use a regular steel Grade 8 bolt myself.

https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/system-of-measurement~inch/hex-nuts/high-strength-steel-hex-nuts-grade-8/

Didn't you get bolts with the spindles? or is that what they came with?

Top paragraph… where you say “ thick washer goes between the spindle nut and the blade”, is the spindle nut the large nut that is made into the spindle shaft ?,

or are you referring to the actual nut that holds the blade on ?

So it would be thick washer, blade, thin washer, Nylock nut ?

And what I have is what K&B sent me… I know no one is perfect, but I’ve seen Brian’s work, and it gives me great confidence that he sent the correct parts…

I will confirm though…

Jeff-C175
14 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Top paragraph… where you say “ thick washer goes between the spindle nut and the blade”, is the spindle nut the large nut that is made into the spindle shaft ?,

or are you referring to the actual nut that holds the blade on ?

So it would be thick washer, blade, thin washer, Nylock nut ?

And what I have is what K&B sent me… I know no one is perfect, but I’ve seen Brian’s work, and it gives me great confidence that he sent the correct parts…

I will confirm though…

I should have phrased that better.

Yes, thick washer first, then blade, thin washer, nut.

At least that's my recollection, and could be wrong.

Brian knows what he's doing so I suspect you're OK.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

76c12091520h

thin washer, then the blade, then the thick washer, then the nut......

• Thanks 2

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, 76c12091520h said:

thin washer, then the blade, then the thick washer, then the nut......

In that case Brian,  I wonder about:

3 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

of the 3 thin washers that Brian (K&B) sent me with the new spindle kits, one is thicker… does it being thicker matter?

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

That’s what I was thinking because when I took old deck apart the thin washers were somehow almost cupped on the spindle nut that is made into the bottom end of the shaft. And seems you would want that thick washer holding the blade…

@76c12091520h, while I have you here… From you I got  3 thick, 2 thin washers, and one regular for the bottom… can I use that regular washer on one of the bottoms of the shafts ?

Look above for maybe a better explanation, please… or these pics…

F4455664-40FF-454B-8428-A12D63DA1091.jpeg

3E7D179C-B925-471D-8545-E5B7E43B45C8.jpeg

D610C68D-8190-47A2-A9EE-AE3AC0872639.jpeg

06349F07-8DED-4CE9-945B-18DDBB61AF8C.jpeg

Horse Newbie

@Jeff-C175… see post # 43 and 47. It confirms what Brian said about the location of the thick and thin washers.

And @76c12091520h, is it absolutely necessary that the washer above the blade be a thin washer ? …. because if not, I will use the regular washer… it will drop one blade (center) about a1/16th lower.

BE1F40B6-B997-4903-9D5D-BCD789BAE9CB.jpeg

37A18492-E043-4BE2-BA8F-C47DB76E6AA4.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie

cleat

Thin washer above the blade and there should not be a nyloc nut on either end. They self tighten with operation.

I use lots of neverseize on those threads as well to be sure the nuts turn on easily.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

But @cleat… see post # 43… isn’t that a Nylock nut in what looks like an official document ?

Horse Newbie

@Jeff-C175… where did you get that pic in post # 43 ?

Looks like a Nylock nut to me…

ADDA9D7C-2E17-49F9-9503-A43A04C9133E.png

6B85A628-6401-4C77-9AAC-3E5A37C35AFD.png

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

where did you get that pic in post # 43 ?

I believe that came from @daveoman1966 and now I'm all confused again because it seems to contradict the WH part diagram.

I can tell you that the new spindles I bought came with regular steel nuts for the blades.  Can't recall if the pulley bolts were nyloc or not.

The 5/16" flat washers at TSC fit 3/8" bolts perfectly.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175

Yes, the bolt in Dave's pic does appear to be a nyloc.

• Like 1

cleat

Here is the parts manual that clearly states free running nuts only.

All of my decks came with free running nuts as well.

48 inch deck parts manual bolt lengths shown.pdf

I think that nyloc nuts may prevent the blades from self tightening to the shaft with use.

Then again they might work just fine, I just never tried.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie

Thank you @cleat… I guess now I have a decision to make.

At this point I would like to solicit  (like I really need to)  other members experience on whether to use free running nuts or Nylock nuts.

Horse Newbie

@cleat… for some reason I can’t view that PDF…

Horse Newbie

@daveoman1966… do you have any experience with whether to use Nylock nuts or free running nuts on the spindle shafts to hold the blades on, on a 1994, model # 78360, 48 inch SD deck ?

Edited by Horse Newbie

Horse Newbie
8 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I believe that came from @daveoman1966 and now I'm all confused again because it seems to contradict the WH part diagram.

I can tell you that the new spindles I bought came with regular steel nuts for the blades.  Can't recall if the pulley bolts were nyloc or not.

The 5/16" flat washers at TSC fit 3/8" bolts perfectly.

@Jeff-C175  , do you remember where you bought your new spindles ?