Horse Newbie

48 inch Side Discharge Deck Restoration

Horse Newbie
22 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I can't say exactly which one, but the "cleaner/degreaser" smells just like one of the common ones, perhaps "Zep" or whatever it is called.

The metal prep is most definitely phosphoric acid.  Smells like the exact same f4rts.

Nothing special or proprietary.

@Jeff-C175I agree with you on the cleaner and the metal etcher… smells like Zep or Purple Power, and that phosphoric acid you said…

Edited by Horse Newbie

Horse Newbie

Got the 2nd coat of POR-15 on the deck…

she’ll sit there until tomorrow morning before I go to work… got to keep it out of direct sunlight…

77419109-8CD1-4C55-A877-E6CFED6838C1.jpeg

0364264F-708E-460A-BCA8-307BD62C915F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

turned the shiny metal kinda white

That's what happens to my stuff too.  Turns the clean metal white, and any rust black.

Yesterday I used some of the leftover metal prep on some fuel lines for a vintage auto I'm restoring.  Same thing.  These prts were small enough that I was able to dip them and let them sit for ten minutes. Came out white.  Was going to POR them but didn't want to open the can I got for the 42" RD I bought it for.  So I used self etching primer and smoke gray instead.

• Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
6 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

That's what happens to my stuff too.  Turns the clean metal white, and any rust black.

Yesterday I used some of the leftover metal prep on some fuel lines for a vintage auto I'm restoring.  Same thing.  These prts were small enough that I was able to dip them and let them sit for ten minutes. Came out white.  Was going to POR them but didn't want to open the can I got for the 42" RD I bought it for.  So I used self etching primer and smoke gray instead.

What kind of vintage ?… 

Jeff-C175
9 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

vintage

Only 1987, not THAT old really, not antique, just vintage.  VW Golf.  Sat in my garage for 20 years waiting for me to retire!

• Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

Got the outside of the 48 inch SD deck primed… she’s got a few lumps in the metal…

Didn’t really notice the area around the center spindle hole was bent until I painted…

hoping the reinforcement plate on top of the deck will hold the spindles in line enough to where the deck cuts good and even…

I’m guessing that damage was done when the PO center punched something that wouldn’t move with the center anti-scalp wheel , and when the center blade stopped there it pushed back and tweaked the deck a bit at the center spindle hole in the deck.

630B7393-B4A5-4895-B782-6F03065F687D.jpeg

AF106059-2D81-458A-B605-02D580AE6E8E.jpeg

F8B53C49-4209-4468-A71B-818EFACAEE1F.jpeg

31C4166F-22BA-4A3E-96D6-EC247A9F4949.jpeg

067B45F3-3F23-4866-A625-005E1214EE8D.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Excellent 2

Jeff-C175
6 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

reinforcement plate

You sure that's not tweaked too?

I dunno... I would try to flatten that some, that blade will be high on one end and low on the other.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
7 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

You sure that's not tweaked too?

I dunno... I would try to flatten that some, that blade will be high on one end and low on the other.

No I am not absolutely sure the reinforcement plate is not bent… will have to lay a straight edge on it… 

I hope the deck works out without having to try to fatten it now… already did POR-15 on underside and primed the top.

I will bolt on the new spindles and blades and check if it’s off much before I go to whacking on it with a B.A.H.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
20 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

whacking on it with a B.A.H

That probably won't work anyway.  What you need is a B.A. press.

I would try a piece of u-channel and some bolts.  Drill matching holes in tbe channel, space the channel way from the botton surface, tighten the bolts down to pull it back down.

Once you get some preload on it a couple well placed whacks with the BAH will 'set' the position.

Unless you have an anvil you can set it on.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2

Horse Newbie
33 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

That probably won't work anyway.  What you need is a B.A. press.

I would try a piece of u-channel and some bolts.  Drill matching holes in tbe channel, space the channel way from the botton surface, tighten the bolts down to pull it back down.

Once you get some preload on it a couple well placed whacks with the BAH will 'set' the position.

Unless you have an anvil you can set it on.

I do have access to an anvil, but I’m sure the POR-15 won’t hold up to that… you reckon ?

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

you reckon ?

I dunno... stuff is pretty tough.

Is there ANY left in the can?  I doubt it... 

You could maybe throw a thick towel over the anvil, but I don't know if the POR will crack.

So yeah, put it together and see what you think, and if NG, then go to plan B.

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
On 4/27/2022 at 1:32 AM, Jeff-C175 said:

I dunno... stuff is pretty tough.

Is there ANY left in the can?  I doubt it... 

You could maybe throw a thick towel over the anvil, but I don't know if the POR will crack.

So yeah, put it together and see what you think, and if NG, then go to plan B.

Nope, can is empty… maybe could have done second coat without using it all, but I thought may as well put it all on instead of throwing it away.

I will most definitely check out the blade alignment before I do the final assembly. For now I will go ahead and paint the deck  hanger parts…

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie

Got the deck hanger parts and the underside of the deck belt guards primed today…

554E38B3-A133-4377-8B5C-24C1B12E03DC.jpeg

449C540C-A55F-495B-A582-1008A61E5377.jpeg

1DCA29BC-84CE-4A1C-AF3A-E042610B58EA.jpeg

2054F1F0-BC92-44C1-B309-170EA02755BB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

@Jeff-C175 was asking if the deck reinforcement plate was bent too, as the deck had a slight bend at the center spindle hole… the plate is bent a little at the center spindle hole as well.

I don’t think it’s enough to make my yard weeds look bad…:lol:

You may be able to see it in this pic…

Funny, I couldn’t see these bends until I primed the parts…

BBC44670-F550-481E-8FD0-D15B34EFA2C1.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@ HORSE NEWBIE , looks like some good prep , question  what are you using for spindle, mule drive  grease ?   recommend  using lucas  x tra heavy duty chassis grease , 560 drop temp , anti sling , polyurea rated , walmart  $ 7 . repack your new bearings with this, easy to do , those wide rubber side shields pop off , with pocket screwdriver , carefully wipe out , and flush with carb cleaner , repack with same amount of this grease  , reinstall seals , except inside of mower deck spindles , to allow for future greasing . just an opportunity , to stop whining noise and bearing failure . done this on my 3 decks , no noise or failures . pete 

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

So I’m trying to decide whether to get new gauge wheels or paint the old…

I already know I need to get new lawn mower wheel bolts… does anybody know what these wheel center inserts are called ?… probably will check McMaster Carr for those…

AFC36D5C-2617-435C-8360-4302C811F8DF.jpeg

F3F0DCAD-F3EF-4590-9577-37C24ACECD62.jpeg

Jeff-C175
14 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

enough to make my yard weeds look bad…

I wonder if it's enough to cause belt alignment issues?

Since there's no POR15 on that part it might be worthwhile to see if you can flatten the plate.

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
4 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@ HORSE NEWBIE , looks like some good prep , question  what are you using for spindle, mule drive  grease ?   recommend  using lucas  x tra heavy duty chassis grease , 560 drop temp , anti sling , polyurea rated , walmart  $ 7 . repack your new bearings with this, easy to do , those wide rubber side shields pop off , with pocket screwdriver , carefully wipe out , and flush with carb cleaner , repack with same amount of this grease  , reinstall seals , except inside of mower deck spindles , to allow for future greasing . just an opportunity , to stop whining noise and bearing failure . done this on my 3 decks , no noise or failures . pete 

Thanks for the reminder @peter lena… I am most definitely stop by Walmart and pick up some.

• Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
5 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I wonder if it's enough to cause belt alignment issues?

Since there's no POR15 on that part it might be worthwhile to see if you can flatten the plate.

I don’t know about the belt alignment issue yet… that is something I will definitely look at when I do the “mock up” before the Regal Red goes on…

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

I also was bothered by this worn spot in the deck where the idler pulley slide bar rides… looks like it is where one of the plastic washers sits underneath the slide bar…

I roughed that area up with some 60 grit sandpaper and put some J-B Weld on it.

EA871AD8-6770-4A8C-9B99-73A51A9CC909.jpeg

320E8CE3-A85E-4402-9415-41618427541E.jpeg

089A7236-9129-4BFF-906D-AB74601AD985.jpeg

C121FD4D-6C3E-4DE4-8AC3-5F68350C297A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Horse Newbie  also use that lucas grease on your deck wheels , made for brutal applications , another thing that I  use in a tough slide spot , like your deck idler pulley , which I also re grease , with that lucas grease , no bearing noise or failure . have any teflon sheeting ? like about 1/16 " thick ? put that under that pulley slide bar , no deck wear , and constant spring follow. your belt drive mule bearings typically whine , with out the correct lubrication , that heavy angular side load , quickly kills regular grease . none of my bearings whine like that , and its easy to refill with the good stuff . this is only a suggestion , but you are right there in your deck set up , and most important , opportunity .  keep it greasy , pete  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@JPWH  quick and easy test , your mule drive bearings are easily re greased  in those pulleys , bearings are probably , 6203  ( 3/4 ) , ID . pocket screwdriver , carefully remove rubber side shields, wipe  out existing " grease " , finish with carb cleaner , refill same amount , with lucas , reinstall side shields .re assemble mule drive , also lubricate related pto lever linkage .  how does it sound now ?  ,  I  regularly do this with new bearings , because I know the stuff in there is not , made for heavy load  applications , that makes those bearings whine under load , regularly road test  my experiments , adjust as I  confirm  improvement , good luck with that deck , should be a  solid unit, pete  

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

I sanded down the JB Weld that I had applied to the deck surface where the idler puller slide bar rides… definitely is gonna make the surface where the slide washers sit flatter and should bring back the performance level to “almost like new”.

I guess while I’m at it, I may as well put some JB Weld in this groove that the idler pulley wore into the deck reinforcement plate…

Also trying to figure out how to mount the deck chute… got the correct spring from Lincoln at A-Z Tractors, now I’ve just got to figure how to make it all work. I know on the front where a bolt (3/8 ths I think) comes through the deck there should be a rubber spacer… will probably have to fab that…

Is there any of you who use the deck chute on the 93-94’ 48 inch SD deck that can put some pics on here to help me out ?

1299D37E-25C7-48F2-B49C-E5EF2B1ECB01.jpeg

432FACFB-E22B-44C8-88BA-BBA3A2D12D35.jpeg

A575A25D-B0E2-4011-B77E-CD2DCF146094.jpeg

FA16469E-0C9A-4CDF-92DB-F8B187C9B18A.jpeg

3A1C3366-FD7B-483A-ADE8-41797C899912.jpeg

D06C969E-A41B-478D-90CB-FB8178C5F6A4.jpeg

7BC3E52B-BC72-40D9-922B-0C0A0F37945F.jpeg

A2AA50A7-109C-48CB-A693-D08DB477CC5C.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Excellent 2

Horse Newbie

Will fab up a small “spring stop” to mount in these two holes…

572C1EB3-D147-482A-8FAF-EFF93EABF790.jpeg

• Excellent 3

Horse Newbie

I have been working some more on the deck… ran into a couple of little SNAFU’s…

Take a look at the parts diagram…

I ordered parts 13,12, and two 9’s…

Can someone tell me what’s “special” about these two washers ( the # 9’s ) ?

Must be special because the washers that were sent have 3/16ths holes, and they’re supposed to go on 5/16ths inch bolts.

I suppose PartsTree sent the wrong washers, as the bolts were in sealed plastic bags and the two # 9 washers were in Zip-Lock baggies like they were hand picked out of a box of bolts on a shelf.

B5F5EB01-95C7-4168-9E97-9CA908FC0AF9.jpeg

E622440F-2439-423C-9FCE-9350DB2A9A60.png