Pullstart

Land rights

Pullstart

@ebinmaine has spoken about this before.  It intrigues me to know that unless posted otherwise, you are allowed to hike, hunt, fish or camp anywhere in ME, be it public or private land.  I don’t really like when I see other people without permission using the land.  I think it’s the way I was raised that has influenced me this way.  In my experience, the trespasser knows they are in the wrong, but either doesn’t care or has no remorse for the consequences.  This video explained some of the value of sharing land, but also the liability side of the law that covers the property owner.  Part of the problem here in Michigan, is the land owner is still responsible for injury to the trespasser should they decide to sue.  In no way am I trying to be political or argumentative, just showing the struggle that some people deal with, on both sides of the property line.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I watch that video later when I get time. Thanks for posting it. Very interesting subject.

I go through the same sort of mental struggles on this issue having been born and raised in Massachusetts where you are not allowed to trespass anywhere on private land without permission. Often even in writing.

I have the same concerns about people and their safety on my property especially when I don't know they're there. 

As you can imagine property owners in Maine find it necessary to carry whatever amount of injury insurance on their property makes them comfortable.

Many many places here there are little diamond shape signs that read

ACCESS BY

PERMISSION

ONLY

At some point I'll get around to posting something. Just haven't made up my mind yet how to handle it.....

• Like 1

Pullstart

I was wondering that too EB.   As a land owner, how do you react to hunters using your woods?  Do you notice them, or are there larger more fruitful tracts they flock to?

pfrederi

Pennsylvania now allows you to post your land against Trespassing  using a special purple paint you apply to trees post etc instead of the old signs that were required.  I don't mind people walking on my property but when I first moved here some used Snow mobiles and ATVs Put a stop to that real quick.  I also have a search light I shine on people who are deer jacking from the road.

• Like 5

ebinmaine
59 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I was wondering that too EB.   As a land owner, how do you react to hunters using your woods?  Do you notice them, or are there larger more fruitful tracts they flock to?

Doesn't really bother me at all as long as they are respectful.

I do notice one or two sets of tracks every fall that I believe is one of my nearby neighbors.

Maine is such a big spread out wide open state once you get away from larger water bodies that I don't know if there's any place any particular group flocks to.

Paul brings up a point about the wheeled vehicles. I haven't had more than an occasion or two with that yet but I thought about putting up signs not allowing them. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

I have lived in the same rural area of PA all my life and have seen things change dramatically.  Sixty years ago there was very little posted land and we could hunt, fish, swim or hike most anywhere.  Now we have more and more people moving in with their purple paint and signs everywhere, it looks like a graffiti covered slum.  I had neighbors call the cops when I was target shooting on my own land.  If you think this is better, you probably haven't lived long enough.

• Sad 2

Tractorhead

My view Free of politics on that Thema.

I think it’s Independently how wide areas are spreaded or where the Areal is ,

trespassing is trespassing.

A basic of respect must be given by the trespasser to find first the Landowner 

and ask what is allowed or prevented. If he prevents the pass of his property it must be agreed.

That are the basic rules of respect i have learned from my parents and grand parents.

Btw. here hunting is extremely strong regulated, without a valid weapon licence and a hunting licence ( both are coupled)

and the permission of the Hunting area’s owner it is absolutely illegal to hunt.

A hunting can not be started without a training graduated by a licence.
Hunting areas are also only leased here, without a hunting lease you can only come along on invitation.

The more problems instead of illegal hunting are here also quadbikes or Crossbikes in the past.

Few of them ride with absolutely no respect for others properties rights or afforested areas,

destroy fresh planted areas just for their amusement. Ask for any permissions was not done by them before.

That all results in highly restricted areas where even sometimes Horseriding is prohibited.

Lot of the Weekend City leisurecowboy‘s here around don‘t take care of the envoirement and do what they want.

You see it immediately who is from the Areal around and who is a trespasser or a guest in this Areal.

The more i was surprised, that i‘ll be allowed to ride thru the Forrests and hidden Areals with my Wheelhorse (tractors) and enjoy the charme of our Areal.

• Like 1

8ntruck

We are considering the same issues for the 20 acres of woods we have in Kentucky.  The area is mostly 5 acres and up residential use.  The two lots we have were never developed.  The locals have used them over the years for hunting, hiking, and atv use.  There is some evidence of party spots and trash dumping as well.  Since we purchased the land, we have spoken to three of our five or six neighbors, describing our plans for the property.  So far, no issues.  Nobody seems to be very up tight about property lines.

I'm planning to get some surveyors out to stake the property lines every couple hundred feet or so.  I want to build some stone markers along the property lines to have a visible reminder of where the ownership changes - for both owners.  Sort of a fence, but not quite.

Due to the residential character of the area, I don't think hunting will be an issue.  Target shooting?  Yup, I've heard some in the area.  I am planning on setting up a target range as well.

Post the property?  I'll end up getting advice from law enforcement, real estate folks, and maybe a lawyer before I make a final decision.

We will see what develops.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Interesting that some have neighbors with gunshot issues. 

Here in Maine we can legally shoot anywhere outside of 300 feet from a dwelling. With other stipulations of course. 

Shooting/gunshots are heard nearly every day. 

• Like 1

pfrederi
22 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I have lived in the same rural area of PA all my life and have seen things change dramatically.  Sixty years ago there was very little posted land and we could hunt, fish, swim or hike most anywhere.  Now we have more and more people moving in with their purple paint and signs everywhere, it looks like a graffiti covered slum.  I had neighbors call the cops when I was target shooting on my own land.  If you think this is better, you probably haven't lived long enough.

I agree things have changed...But 60 years ago you didn't have Quads, Dirt bikes and snowmobiles...

• Like 1

Pullstart
Just now, pfrederi said:

I agree things have changed...But 60 years ago you didn't have Quads, Dirt bikes and snowmobiles...

and lawyers who will help a wrongdoer win in the court of law.

• Like 2

pfrederi

What really bothers me is the weekenders.  Live in NJ or down by Philly buy a small plot 5-10 acres then come up here on weekends to get away from the noise and pollution of the city/suburbs.  They show up with 3-4 quads and an arsenal.  Target shooting all day then they get bored riding their quads, dirt bikes around their little plot and start racing up and down back roads.  Got to love the "racing" non-mufflers.  Then turn off where ever they see an interesting path on to private property.

• Sad 2