Farmer_John

Starting a long waiting 310-8 refurbishment

8ntruck

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the forum.  Lots of folks here have traveled the same road you are starting down.  If you get stuck, post a question, as somebody here has already come across it, fixed it, and will be happy to give you advice.  More likely, several people will chime in.

Just a caution, without being a supporter, you will be limited in the number of photos you can post.

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

ebinmaine

To look for parts for these Wheel Horses feel free to post an ad in our wanted section. 

A great vendor is A To Z Tractor in Pennsylvania.

I'll be looking forward to the pictures....

• Like 3

Pollack Pete

Wow.......I didn't know they had a 310-8 on the Titanic.All kidding aside,good to see another horse coming back to life.Should clean up pretty well.Good luck with your project.You'll get lots of help here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

953 nut

:WRS:                                                       :text-coolphotos:

You made a wise decision to keep your 310-8 in dry storage all these years. They are a great machine and we are here to hand our all the advice you need (some of it will even be good advise :ychain:)   As you disassemble your tractor take lots of pictures so you know where everything goes as it comes back together.

7 hours ago, Farmer_John said:

Getting ready to pull the engine tomorrow if I can figure out how to lift it

That is not a one man job for most of us. I bought a hydraulic lift table several years ago, it is a great back saver.

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html

• Like 2

rjg854

As others have said, :WRS:   Was the plug fuel fouled, or oil fouled?  Before pulling the engine, maybe take off the head to see what's going on inside there.  Might save a lot of work, unless you already know what's wrong with it, and the engine needs to come out.

• Like 3

Tuneup

Yeah, you can carry those Onans all over the garage and boost them on a bench but those Kohler lumps are just a bit much. Luckily, farmers always have extra hands nearby ;)

• Like 1

Farmer_John

rjg854 - The plug was fouled with burnt oil and it was exhausting blue smoke 21 years ago.  I pulled the head at the time and the piston & head were caked with burned & wet oil.  I decided to find something else to work on at the time.  

It was my sons' training mower when they were in high school in the 90's and I suspect it took a lot of abuse when I was not around - if their learning experience with my cars was any indication. 

I'm taking the engine down to   richmondred01 next week to tear down and do a more complete diagnosis.  A few years ago I would have tackled this myself, but my to-do list now has "playing with my grandkids" on it as my #1 priority:).  

953 nut - Thanks for the link to the hydraulic cart.  I was planning to use an old bomb hoist (and two grown sons) but this looks like it might be useful for the frequent times where it would be nice working at bench height.

Here are a couple of pictures after it was cleaned before starting the tear-down

1185732512_20210325_163503(002).jpg.accdc2a556f3b2fd49208b03085276a0.jpg20210325_163409.jpg.799f371acb70cb21f21f8ceb7a4404c1.jpg20210325_164017.jpg.c3d41f5f5750d4f4ef45df080622c156.jpg

20210325_164012.jpg

Edited by Farmer_John
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart
11 hours ago, Farmer_John said:

1116459153_WHbefore6.jpg.98141ba7d75aa3a2acf4b6ea6985e43c.jpg399930086_WHbefore3a.thumb.jpg.ceb5f840b3312784a7d1fe079606c1ee.jpg

:text-welcomeconfetti: To RedSquare!  A tip for the site... you can type the “at” sign then start typing a screen name to tag the person @Farmer_John :handgestures-thumbupright:

image.jpeg.d8a2bc3e383a84846a16f4beabf7be7d.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Farmer_John
10 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the forum.  Lots of folks here have traveled the same road you are starting down.  If you get stuck, post a question, as somebody here has already come across it, fixed it, and will be happy to give you advice.  More likely, several people will chime in.

Just a caution, without being a supporter, you will be limited in the number of photos you can post.

@8ntruck - How do I become a supporter?  I don't see a link anywhere for it.

ebinmaine
Just now, Farmer_John said:

@8ntruck - How do I become a supporter?  I don't see a link anywhere for it.

@Farmer_John

Screenshot_20210326-105528.png.d505ae1debb77ba81eb648ed7e1f7007.png

Start typing the name of who you want to tag, then click on that name to "mention" them. 

@nylyon Karl is the man for becoming a member. 

Must be a link somewhere but I'll be darned if I know where it is....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse

I'm 99% sure I clicked that link and that's how I became a member! 

Screenshot_20210326-114305_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: That is where you become a supporter.  Reminds me, I'll have to renew soon...

• Like 1

Farmer_John
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

:text-yeahthat: That is where you become a supporter.  Reminds me, I'll have to renew soon...

Thanks, just signed up for 2 years.  I'll put the check in the mail later today.  Thanks for pointing it out.  I was not aware of this limitation until you pointed it out.  Someone might want to consider automatically sending a welcome package to newbies that gives them some of the helpful hints that the regular users know (like how to reference another member  - @8ntruck)   Maybe a direct link on the home page as well for becoming a supporter:)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Another tip...I find the best spot to "monitor" the forum and whats happening overall is the "Activity" Dropdown at the top Left of the page. pull that down and select "All Activity" and it kinda gives you a play by play as posts happen! Welcome aboard!

• Like 3

roadapples

Being a supporter is not a necessity but it helps keep the  lights on. Thanks :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

Farmer_John

All, I am  requesting advice on sources for a few things I know I will need for the 1985 310-8 -

1. front wheel (rim only); 
  2. replacement seat;
  3. gas cap/gage;
  4. keyed ignition/starter switch
  5. drive belt
  6. mower deck spindle bearings
  7. clutch plate 

the first item is my priority since I need it to move the tractor around the shop

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

To look for parts for these Wheel Horses feel free to post an ad in our wanted section. 

A great vendor is A To Z Tractor in Pennsylvania.

I'll be looking forward to the pictures....

You get a hold of a fellow named Lincoln at A To Z. He's a great guy to deal with although can be busy and challenging to contact at times. He'll fix you right up.

I don't use his website. I call him on the phone.

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:

Lincoln is a great guy and everything he sells has been tested or he won't sell it. Give him a call.  https://a-ztractor.com/

:text-thankyoublue:         Thanks for becoming a supporter.             :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3

tunahead72
12 hours ago, Farmer_John said:

... I'm taking the engine down to   richmondred01 next week to tear down and do a more complete diagnosis...

That's a good call, he'll get your engine straightened out real nice.  He's also been selling some 300/400/500 series parts recently, you might want to talk to him about what you need.

I just checked A to Z, he has a couple of used 6" rims that might work for you.

Also, where in Virginia are you located?  I get down to Bath County several times a year, I might be able to help you somehow.

And welcome aboard! :WRS:

• Thanks 1

Farmer_John
49 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

That's a good call, he'll get your engine straightened out real nice.  He's also been selling some 300/400/500 series parts recently, you might want to talk to him about what you need.

I just checked A to Z, he has a couple of used 6" rims that might work for you.

Also, where in Virginia are you located?  I get down to Bath County several times a year, I might be able to help you somehow.

And welcome aboard! :WRS:

@tunahead72  I'm in King George County, East of Fredericksburg about 30 miles.  Bath co is on the western side of the state.  Thanks for the suggestion on the rims, @richmondred01 also said he had a couple of rims so I plan to pick those up next week when I drop of the engine.

• Like 3

Farmer_John

Started the disassembly, and as usual, got carried away.  As I pulled one thing off, I found something else below it that I wanted to clean or remove rust & paint or completely replace.  Soon it looked like this picture.  The "refurbishment" has become a "restoration" at this point.  Putting in my order today for a decal set.

1824401564_WHDuring02.jpg.63a7a4eb394ba497c7f4d16c2bcfc9ec.jpg

Edited by Farmer_John
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. 

Nice....

• Like 3

953 nut
9 hours ago, Farmer_John said:

Putting in my order today for a decal set.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:            You will want to allow the paint to cure several weeks prior to applying decals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1