Peter in NH

Newbie with questions

Peter in NH

Just bought a 314-8, serial number 9900931, which in the light of day seems to have been "rode hard and put away wet". When I put her in gear and let up the clutch pedal, engagement is startling! So I got a new factory belt and when I stripped off the bodywork, I found the hydraulic tensioner was pretty flabby (normal?) and the drive belt could be deflected about 2" with clutch engaged (normal?). I'll also be replacing tie rods but that looks straight forward.

Where can I get a workshop manual-- the owners manual doesn't have much depth.

Thanks for your help. I'll be asking questions as they come up.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

JAinVA

The hydraulic tensioner is actually a gas spring.  Over time the gas leaks out. Two inches of belt deflection is seen by what pressure. If finger tip then ,that's not normal. A new gas spring can be over $100.00 new. If you can't find a good used one then you could go with a new coil spring used before the gas spring. That type of spring cost less than $10.00t new from parts tree.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:  I only have hydro transmissions, but I hear many owners replace the pneumatic  tensioner with a simple coil spring.

Others will be here to offer part numbers for the spring and links to the manuals  for your tractor.       :banana-gotpics:

Told ya....those guys are quick.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

Stepney

Another New Englander is always great. 
No the belt shouldn't be too loose when engaged. That cylinder was more of a damper if I remember right, there's still a spring somewhere else. But I dont work on these later models too often. 

I see I stand corrected. None of mine ever had the gas cylinder. 

Edited by Stepney
  • Like 1

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎:rs:

:wwp:  

:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone:

• Excellent 1

peter lena

PETER IN NH , those gas spring  returns are known for failure and often replaced with this , pictures also verify its spot. btw, that linkage should be totally lubricated at all movement points , it should be smooth and easy with no jerking or binding , pete

ebinmaine

Hey Peter

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Keep an eye out for @JCM Jim's Meet and Greet in North Berwick Maine in September. 

The spring you want may be a Toro 108035. 

RCPW has them for less than $11 shipped. 

• Like 1

953 nut
47 minutes ago, Peter in NH said:

drive belt could be deflected about 2" with clutch engaged (normal?)

Should be a bit tighter than that.

On the older model Wheel Horses the clutch spring was located on the left side from the clutch arm to the rear axle housing. Lowell @wheelhorseman sells them, give him a call to be sure it will work for you.  https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/1014-spring-for-wheel-horse/

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Everyone is steering you on the straight and narrow already, so I’ll just add that you’re gonna love that 14 horse monster!

Chestnut

Welcome Neighbor! 

You've found a helpful group here. 

• Like 1