Oldskool

Something from nothing?

ebinmaine
44 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

The above notwithstanding, if I EVER have to go inside a transmission, I'd like @stevasaurus as lead so I could be wingman!

They're actually a pretty easy fix. 

Couple wrenches and some 90W. Good to go. 

• Like 1

Handy Don
33 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

They're actually a pretty easy fix. 

Couple wrenches and some 90W. Good to go. 

Why do I get the distinct feeling that there's a bit more to it that that! :laughing-rofl:

• Haha 3

oliver2-44
On 2/19/2021 at 10:44 AM, Oldskool said:

While I have this transmission apart what can be done for upgrades to make it as bullet proof as possible.

@Oldskool
1.Do a trial reassembly of the transmission and check the no I in/out movement of the input shaft. Ideally there is almost  none or only a tiny tiny bit of movement.  If there is some movement measure it with a dial indicator, dial caliper or somehow precise. Then take tranny back apart and put a shim that thickness under the bearing on the opposite side of the case from the input pulley. This will help insure maximum tooth contact with the inside of the input gear. 

2. Since the hubs are off, drill and tap them for a 2nd set screw.  
3. If you really wanted to toughen up the axles/hubs have the woodruff key slot in the axles (for the hub key) machined to take a full length rectangular key. 
4. Beef up the transmission mount to frame attachment, especially if you will be doing ground engaging work or heavy pulling with this. There are several threads on here for suggestions

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine

Well done @oliver2-44

Some good points there. 

Here's a link to a thread about frame bracing. 

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
7 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

@Oldskool
1.Do a trial reassembly of the transmission and check the no I in/out movement of the input shaft. Ideally there is almost  none or only a tiny tiny bit of movement.  If there is some movement measure it with a dial indicator, dial caliper or somehow precise. Then take tranny back apart and put a shim that thickness under the bearing on the opposite side of the case from the input pulley. This will help insure maximum tooth contact with the inside of the input gear. 

2. Since the hubs are off, drill and tap them for a 2nd set screw.  
3. If you really wanted to toughen up the axles/hubs have the woodruff key slot in the axles (for the hub key) machined to take a full length rectangular key. 
4. Beef up the transmission mount to frame attachment, especially if you will be doing ground engaging work or heavy pulling with this. There are several threads on here for suggestions

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I have some of those covered.

1. I like the pre assembly process. I will definitely do that.

2. My hubs are factory made with 2 set screws.

3. I never gave the key slots a thought but yes I will do that now for sure.

4. When I started the trans to frame  mount it was over built then. The top extends forward 2.5in further down the frame rails. Its 1/4in thick, and the trans cradle I made wraps around under then all the way back up to the frame.

20210223_060659.jpg

• Excellent 2

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Oldskool said:

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I have some of those covered.

1. I like the pre assembly process. I will definitely do that.

2. My hubs are factory made with 2 set screws.

3. I never gave the key slots a thought but yes I will do that now for sure.

4. When I started the trans to frame  mount it was over built then. The top extends forward 2.5in further down the frame rails. Its 1/4in thick, and the trans cradle I made wraps around under then all the way back up to the frame.

20210223_060659.jpg

Dropping in a V8?

Oldskool
1 minute ago, DennisThornton said:

Dropping in a V8?

I dont think I will. 

DennisThornton
11 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I dont think I will. 

With all that steel wrapped around the trans I figure some serious torque at least.

• Like 1

Oldskool
7 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

With all that steel wrapped around the trans I figure some serious torque at least.

I have a set of disc harrows and a plow. Plus it will be doing alot of tugging and pulling around the yard

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, Oldskool said:

I have a set of disc harrows and a plow. Plus it will be doing alot of tugging and pulling around the yard

Lots of tree stumps and boulders I guess!

Oldskool
19 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Yup 

Oldskool
2 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Well it is Maine. It's all sand,clay,rocks,and roots. We dont have any good topsoil around here.

DennisThornton

Looking at my 40 acres in the Adirondacks I've always pictured the first settlers seeing nothing but trees, cutting what they could as they could, building a little home and shed and trying to raise some food for family, flock a horse and cow.  Later trying to pull stumps until there were a small garden plot they could grow a little between the rocks and boulders.  Years roll on, stumps gone from small fields starting to be walled with rocks.  Finally, trees gone, rocks mostly gone with the occasional boulder and now there's 3" of topsoil to farm with.  No wonder many moved and let it all grow up again!  Most of my completely wooded land is boarded and crisscrossed with rock walls showing the occasional rusted barbed wire where someone long ago tried to raise livestock.  Must have been a very tough life!

• Like 1

bc.gold
28 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Looking at my 40 acres in the Adirondacks I've always pictured the first settlers seeing nothing but trees, cutting what they could as they could, building a little home and shed and trying to raise some food for family, flock a horse and cow.  Later trying to pull stumps until there were a small garden plot they could grow a little between the rocks and boulders.  Years roll on, stumps gone from small fields starting to be walled with rocks.  Finally, trees gone, rocks mostly gone with the occasional boulder and now there's 3" of topsoil to farm with.  No wonder many moved and let it all grow up again!  Most of my completely wooded land is boarded and crisscrossed with rock walls showing the occasional rusted barbed wire where someone long ago tried to raise livestock.  Must have been a very tough life!

• Excellent 3

stevasaurus

@Handy Don  Braking the horse (with brake drum on cluster gear shaft) clamps down on the brake drum  This will stop the cluster gear shaft which has 2 gears that are pinned with wood ruff keys.  The little gear on the bottom (pinion) meshes with the 44 tooth part of the mushroom gear and the 11 tooth part of the mushroom gears meshes with the bull gear of the differential.

Bull Gear

2008_0122TRANSNEW0014.JPG

You can kind of see in this picture.

DSCF9247.JPG

At this point, the differential can not turn...so the differential really becomes the brake.  The axles can still turn in opposite directions, because of the pinions in the differential.  But with the differential carriage braked, the horse can not go forward.  does that make sense??  :occasion-xmas:   Maybe this will show it better.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

Tractorhead

Great explained, thanks.

• Excellent 1

Oldskool

Thanks @stevasaurus for adding that info.

• Like 2

Oldskool

I started just grabbing stuff around the shop to see what would happen. I think this build may have just gone sideways from where I was headed initially.

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Oldskool

Just a thought. 

20210223_165828.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton
12 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Just a thought. 

20210223_165828.jpg

You thinking about putting the Ponds out of business? 

• Haha 2

Oldskool
13 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

You thinking about putting the Ponds out of business? 

Well I dont know about that. It is keeping me outta trouble though.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Old Briggs?

Round fenders. 

I'm in. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Old Briggs?

Round fenders. 

I'm in. 

Welcome aboard 

• Thanks 1

Oldskool

Until I have a complete transmission, could someone be so kind as to tell me what the distance is from the side of the case to the center of the drive pulley?

20210224_135842.jpg

ebinmaine

If someone else doesn't answer I can check later. 

Stock Wheelhorse pulley?

• Like 1