peter lena

just got covid shots secured

rmaynard
47 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

The selection of names is by lottery, so they are hoping to get lucky 

Almost as bad as MD. Those over 75 should be prioritized and not put into a lottery. All family doctors should have been stocked with Moderna as soon as it was available. They know who are the most vulnerable among their patients. My BIL who is 73 and lives in FL just walked into a VA clinic and got the J&J shot last week. 

• Like 3

Mickwhitt

In our country they are talking about prioritising prisoners in jail over the general population. 

They say that they are at great risk because they are locked up in close proximity to each other. 

It may be uncharitable but I'm sorry, they should be at the back of the queue!

Get our vulnerable folk sorted first, then the remainder, then if there is any left the ones in jail. 

Hammer me if you wish but its the way I feel seeing how criminals treat good people. 

Mick 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

rmaynard
2 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

In our country they are talking about prioritising prisoners in jail over the general population. 

They say that they are at great risk because they are locked up in close proximity to each other. 

Get our vulnerable folk sorted first, then the remainder, then if there is any left the ones in jail. 

Hammer me if you wish but its the way I feel seeing how criminals treat good people. 

Mick 

I totally agree. Vaccinate the guards, not the felons. They should be at the bottom of the list. With everything being shut down, how are they going to spread it or even get it?

• Like 4

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

I totally agree.

Me too.  Get locked up, all your 'rights' are gone.  Back of the line grand felon.

Besides, they talk about prison over crowding... 'nuff said.

• Like 3

ranger
2 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Mick 

The trouble will be when they are released, they could spread the virus to the general population,  🦠🤒🤢if they have it. Perhaps on their release date they should ‘self isolate’, 😷😷(Solitary confinement cell, for 14days), which they must pay for themselves,💰💷 like travellers entering the UK from certain countries, then they can, “Re- enter” society! 

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor

I received my second shot a month ago so I should be fully 95% by now.  I'm not sure if it happens to be just my local Virginia Health District or all of Virginia but they will soon be opening up vaccines to those 35 and up. I know that our Democratic Governor caught a lot of initial negative comments especially by my (R) congressman in the first few days of January. But once the governor appointed a Vaccine Czar and the new Federal administration took over, it has really turned our program around!  Just three weeks ago the health district was doing over 1,000 jabs a day. It is still by appointment-only but if they don't have enough appointments filled, they make phone calls to invite people who are registered.

• Like 2

squonk
6 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Almost as bad as MD. Those over 75 should be prioritized and not put into a lottery. All family doctors should have been stocked with Moderna as soon as it was available. They know who are the most vulnerable among their patients. My BIL who is 73 and lives in FL just walked into a VA clinic and got the J&J shot last week. 

Family doctors cannot stock Pfizer or Moderna unless they purchase medical grade Freezers to store it. $20.000 +++. I'm sure the price would go up with demand.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@shallowwatersailor  You are lucky you live in the hilly part of Va. down here in Richmond it is a mess even getting registered . We are still in the 65 and up plus folks with under lying health problems . They are finally opened up a 1000 shot site on my side of town, open one day a week. I figure my wive may get a jab in December.

• Sad 2

rmaynard
46 minutes ago, squonk said:

Family doctors cannot stock Pfizer or Moderna unless they purchase medical grade Freezers to store it. $20.000 +++. I'm sure the price would go up with demand.

My doctor told me that Moderna can be stored in a standard freezer. Then transferred to a refrigerator if used within 30 days.

• Like 1

squonk

Possibly every state is different. Working at the hospital drugs  had to be kept separate from other drugs and had to have temperature monitors and alarms on all equipment. I took care of all lab and pharmacy equipment. Some very large freezers and coolers would have 3 little bottles in them and nothing else was allowed. CDC,FDA,DOH all had there rules. Some contradicted each other.

There should be enough J&J out there so doctors and hospitals can aquire it without storage issues.

Ed Kennell
8 minutes ago, squonk said:

There should be enough J&J out there

All  the J&J in Pa has been earmarked for educators, teachers, day care workers, etc.

squonk

They are running J&J all night long at the NYS Fairgrounds. Who want to go in at 2AM?

• Haha 1

rmaynard
14 hours ago, squonk said:

They are running J&J all night long at the NYS Fairgrounds. Who want to go in at 2AM?

I would if I was still looking to be vaccinated. I'm awake at 2AM to pee most nights anyway.

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:         Two wees ago, I would have jumped at the chance for a 2AM slot.   In fact I was still up many nights at that time watching the sites for a slot .

• Like 1

rmaynard
6 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-yeahthat:         Two wees ago, I would have jumped at the chance for a 2AM slot.   In fact I was still up many nights at that time watching the sites for a slot .

My daughter has secured at least 10 appointments through the Maryland Vaccine Hunters page on Facebook. It was a lot of work for her, but she is driven. I'm glad that you and the Mrs. have gotten your first shots, but it should not be this difficult. I registered with my local Health Department when registrations first opened up. Since that time, I got both my first and second shots through a major pharmacy via the vaccine hunter site. Friday the health department emailed saying that I could now get an appointment. So I clicked on the link and still it said no appointments available. :angry-tappingfoot:

• Sad 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

Got a notice this morning Mrs. El Camino gets her first jab on March 31 . It took so doing and a little stretch of the truth , but I finally got her an appointment.  She is getting it at a small local pharmacy about 20 minutes from the house. I get my second jab tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Ed Kennell to answer your question Ed it is a government (Run by 50 different states ) job. Seems like each state has a different way of handling the situation . In Va. it appears that each health district handles it different , then there are the puter systems at CVS that can't talk to the the state governments puters. The state's puter system has our phone number wrong even after I have corrected it twice. 

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
typing error
  • Sad 1

shallowwatersailor

The former administration spent millions of dollars on developing the vaccine (except the Pfizer vaccine that was funded by Germany not the USA) but only allocated 2% of all the funding to the distribution for actually vaccinating Americans. They also failed to purchase anymore than the initial 100 million doses from Pfizer once it was proven effective. We have always been playing catch-up.

• Heart 2

Jeff-C175

After a series of emails complaining of the difficulty securing an appointment, I actually got a PHONE call YESTERDAY (SUNDAY!) from an aide at our SENATOR's OFFICE with scheduled appointments for this Wednesday for my wife and I.

Proof that the squeaky wheel (horse) gets the grease I suppose!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell
5 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

. Seems like each state has a different way of handling the situation

You are correct Jim, each state was responsible for the distribution and scheduling of the vaccine injection.      Some states made it easy with a call when available registration system and mass injection sites and other states never instituted a system at all.       Pa  is  one of the states with no system.   They have now finally opened a couple mass injection sites with a registration system.   

But, the selection of recipients is by lottery.    At last count, there were 68,000 registered at the site nearest me.      Do you feel lucky  .... 1/68,000

• Sad 3

rmaynard
19 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

The former administration spent millions of dollars on developing the vaccine...

And thank God they did. :handgestures-salute:

• Excellent 2

shallowwatersailor
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

And thank God they did. :handgestures-salute:

But too bad they didn't have a plan on distributing it.   :sad:

• Confused 1

Ed Kennell
33 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

The plan was to allow each state to manage the distribution.   Turns out this was a bad plan.    Even with $ 6 trillion in Covid funding handed to them, only about 1/2 of the state governors were capable of managing an efficient distribution system.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

rmaynard
41 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

John I'm not going to get political with this because this is not the place. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1