Bcmedic85

Looking for tips and advice

Bcmedic85

Just bought my first new to me 1994 wheel horse 312-8. Only known issue stated from the seller is the drive belt will slip due to the pulleys being glazed he had a new one put on. A small equipment shop mechanic advised him of the pulleys. My question is anything simple easy things I can check to troubleshoot and verify the pulleys are the problem? Also what is everyone’s advice with getting parts online? How can I verify I’m getting the correct parts for my machine?

18EC4571-A56A-486E-B9A8-BB041B76F5D1.jpeg

1661A56D-7C2E-4497-8FF0-4B95EC8FEB4C.jpeg

09B3266C-ADFC-48BE-94E4-0A684904E1F9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

Welcome to the forum.  Members here will have answers to all those questions (and to questions you never asked)! Ask away.

Most important is to look around the forum and get familiar with the different parts. Use the search tool to look for old posts that may cover your issues. Check the documents section for the user and parts manuals for your machine. And the classifieds.

There is a vendor section as well. These are folks that sell new parts and accessories as well as used ones they've either refurbished or confirmed are good for reuse. Many of the parts like bearings, belts, bushings, electrical components, and the like were "standard off the shelf" at the time of manufacture and have new replacement equivalents readily available today from different suppliers. The Kohler engines still have good support, especially for the more recent models like yours.

I hope you machine works well for you.

(Note, too, as you read old posts, that there is often some subtle and not so subtle joking around among the members. Join in.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Blackhood Bill

:text-welcomeconfetti: To  :rs:You will find on the main page a section that has vendors listed, plus parts tree, and jacks small engines are the best places to start besides here. Start here, ask questions, of course add pictures and there will be all kinds of knowledge and advise from the best people all over and abroad who can and will help. Enjoy the forum and the people along with good fun.

Edited by Blackhood Bill
  • Like 3

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:The 312 is a great all around tractor.

The model and serial number of you tractor should be on a white or silver vinyl tag under the seat.  Regrettable sometimes there too faded to read.  Also the kohler engine should have a tag on it with a model and Spec number.  These numbers will help you get the right parts.  you can you still read 

• Like 2

Bcmedic85
15 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Welcome to the forum.  Members here will have answers to all those questions (and to questions you never asked)! Ask away.

Most important is to look around the forum and get familiar with the different parts. Use the search tool to look for old posts that may cover your issues. Check the documents section for the user and parts manuals for your machine. And the classifieds.

There is a vendor section as well. These are folks that sell new parts and accessories as well as used ones they've either refurbished or confirmed are good for reuse. Many of the parts like bearings, belts, bushings, electrical components, and the like were "standard off the shelf" at the time of manufacture and have new replacement equivalents readily available today from different suppliers. The Kohler engines still have good support, especially for the more recent models like yours.

I hope you machine works well for you.

(Note, too, as you read old posts, that there is often some subtle and not so subtle joking around among the members. Join in.)

Thanks for the information 

• Like 1

Bcmedic85
13 minutes ago, Blackhood Bill said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: To  :rs:You will find on the main page a section that has vendors listed, plus parts tree, and jacks small engines are the best places to start besides here. Start here, ask questions, of course add pictures and there will be all kinds of knowledge and advise from the best people all over and abroad who can and will help. Enjoy the forum and the people along with good fun.

Thanks for the welcome and information 

• Like 1

Bcmedic85
3 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:The 312 is a great all around tractor.

The model and serial number of you tractor should be on a white or silver vinyl tag under the seat.  Regrettable sometimes there too faded to read.  Also the kohler engine should have a tag on it with a model and Spec number.  These numbers will help you get the right parts.  you can you still read 

Thank you I will look for those tags 

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

I’d start with just the new belt.  They are designed to slip across the pulleys when the clutch is in, until the belt stops.  The Kevlar on the edges of the belt eventually gets hard or worn away and most times a new belt will be just what you need for all the pushing and pulling power you need.  You’ll learn, traction = weight.  These tractors very seldom run out of power, they run out of grip.

• Like 7

Bcmedic85
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

I’d start with just the new belt.  They are designed to slip across the pulleys when the clutch is in, until the belt stops.  The Kevlar on the edges of the belt eventually gets hard or worn away and most times a new belt will be just what you need for all the pushing and pulling power you need.  You’ll learn, traction = weight.  These tractors very seldom run out of power, they run out of grip.

The buyer stated he did put a new drive belt on, however I did some reading and seen that if the proper type of belt isn’t put on they are prone to slipping. Anyway to tell if he put the correct type of belt on?

• Like 1

squonk

You don't need to install a WH OEM belt. I've used Napa green or blue TSC belts with no issues. See if you can get the I.D. of the tractor and the number of the belt he put on. Also pics with the belt guard off will let us see if there are any other issues going on. you really have to glaze and wear out the pulleys badly to be an issue.

• Like 4

CCW

Nice 312-8.  Mine is an 87 and still runs and works great.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I agree with @squonk

I've had great luck with Gates Green belts and OEM on 8 speeds. 

they're SUPPOSED to slip some. That's your clutching action. 

certainly post some pics of the belt system. Perhaps the clutch gas cylinder is worn?

Pulleys being glazed...... really with all due respect to that small engine tech. 

That's not likely. 

If you do a search on the site for "baseline" or "base line" you'll see a list of what we do to new-to-us machines. 

• Like 3

Bcmedic85

Thanks @squonk @ebinmaine and @CCW I will look at that stuff and post up once I do. And that’s kinda what I thought when the seller told me his small engine mechanic told him that, but figured it would give me a starting point to get the old girl back to 100% again 

DennisThornton

Welcome!  You've come to the right place! 

Cheap and easy is always my first approach!  My 2 cents:

That clutch pedal rides on a shaft that most don't oil even though the hole in it screams "Oil me!".  It's possible for the spring to NOT pull that clutch lever ALL the way back for full pressure on the belt because of rust.  And a new belt won't fix this!  And since it didn't!  Oil in the hole!  Work the pedal back and forth until it feels completely free.  Or hop on it and PULL that pedal back with your foot!  IF that seems to help, then get your oil out.  Then oil, grease and service the entire beautiful machine.

If it doesn't help then get back to us.  The entire, total, sum of Wheel Horse knowledge is here for free.  These guys know all there is about WHs!  (Other stuff too!)

Good luck and let us know!

• Like 4

Bcmedic85

@DennisThornton thanks I will definitely give that a try that and see what happens. I plan on doing a full service on her as well and cleaning her up some more.

• Like 1

JAinVA

If you have the gas clutch spring rather than a the coil spring Dennis T has a good point about proper belt tension at release. The type of spring can be seen looking at the left side inboard of the rear tire. The gas springs can leak down and not supply the proper tension.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

• Like 3

Achto

:WRS:

Sweet looking tractor!!

Some great advise given by the gang so far. If you are still having issues after trying all the suggestions let us know. Some one will figure it out.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

• Like 1

tom2p

make sure to install a molded and wrapped belt - similar to the OEM Wheel Horse belts 

I've only used OEM Wheel Horse drive belts - but others have good luck with other belts 

17053E03-8CE7-4252-8495-8ADFDF601CEE.jpeg

77D9E53B-4568-47BA-92AA-0396ABEB397E.jpeg

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2

tom2p
5 hours ago, Bcmedic85 said:

1661A56D-7C2E-4497-8FF0-4B95EC8FEB4C.jpeg

something is up with the clutch pedal placement - at rest it appears to be too far toward the rear of the tractor

could be due to the floor board placement

can't recall for sure but I believe the pedal rests on the front part of the floor board inside cutout - if so might need to move the floor board up and/or in in to get the clutch pedal to the correct position ... again can't recall - would need to look at it to be sure 

or possible the clutch rod or similar adjustment is required 

note the clutch pedal placement on the 312-8 pictured below 

6125F534-D1C7-4573-8ACD-3F04DD19A1AA.jpeg

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Tom caught a good clue in that picture.  I think the clutch peddle and floorboard are mounted correctly. But the Clutch Pedal Gas  or Spring is shot or missing for that pedal to be laying that far back. 

Item 54 is the Gas Damper.  

https://www.partstree.com/models/73362-312-8-toro-garden-tractor-sn-049000001-049999999-1994/clutch-brake-and-speed-control-linkage-7/

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton

See above!  Maybe oil the clutch pedal shaft first!

Edited!  BTW.  I had a clutch spring break too!  Check it as well!  You will see the clutch doesn't spring back and for as I suggested earlier.  My bad... Should have mentioned that.

Edited by DennisThornton

haydendavid380

A short belt will also pull the pedal down and cause issues that seem like it's slipping. Had a similar issue with a belt marked as that correct length, but in reality was almost an inch short.

I'd go to a local store where you can measure the belt in person and match it to the proper spec. Put that on and see how that does.

Edited by haydendavid380

953 nut
9 hours ago, tom2p said:

something is up with the clutch pedal placement - at rest it appears to be too far toward the rear of the tractor

Good eye there.   If the foot rest on the right side is too far in it will catch the clutch arm and prevent it from tightening the belt completely. @Bcmedic85, move the right foot rest out a bit and see if there is any change. All that is needed is a 1/2" wrench to loosen the clamps on the foot rest.