Mike in NC

Model ID ?? Confirmed 701

Mike in NC

Hello, A friend has a Wheel Horse that he is trying to sell me. I have not seen it in person, he facetimed me once and showed it real quick to me. It has a round solid hood, no open lovers in the front for a grille. The engine is up front. I am trying to get him to get me pictures but was hoping that maybe someone on here could point me in the right direction. Yes, I know pictures help, but he has not sent me any.

Thank you for any help or advice!!!

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, Mike in NC said:

round solid hood, no open lovers in the front for a grille. The engine is up front

That puts you in the early 60s. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

If original, no slots and engine up front most likely makes it a 1961  701.  I'm not sure if a Ranger from 1962 has slots.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 2

Mike in NC

It appears to be a 7 or 8 horse power Kohler. On these older ones, is there a list for models? He gave me a number, but do not remember it at the moment. It is ??KS05. Doe4s this sound close?  Thanks!!

stevasaurus

KS05 does not work for these 1960 horses.  The model # T 701 is most likely what is at the top of the dash tower.  The 7 hp Kohler would be a K-161-S  spec # 2822E.  Here is a chart of the horses through the years.

• Like 1

littleredrider

Rangers have hood similar to 854s, 702's, etc. They did share it with a year or two, but cant remember what year(s). 

• Like 2

oliver2-44

FYI,

IF it is a 701, don't let it slip away.  it is a very desirable WH as it is the first one with a front engine design and other new improvements.

• Like 4

Mike in NC

If it is a 701, what are they worth? I know all the determining factors. I am just looking for a price range. It is not restored. He said it did run when he got it. In the video, I saw a mower deck, looked square on the right side, rear ag tires but I am not sure of the condition. He is a good friend and my supervisor and a mechanic, he just is not in to garden tractors. So I don't think he would lie about it's condition. He bought it from a guy who was needing money and he never came back to pay and get the tractor back. I have looked to se values of the 701 nut have not seen any sell. Is there an estimate of how many were made? Thanks!

Edited by Mike in NC
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

I do not think the tractor model number was ever placed on the 701, Just a serial number.

Click on the fuzzy picture in the link for more

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

The mower deck for the 701 is a one of a kind.  It is square, but the thing that makes it unique...the wheels are on the inside of the deck.  Like Garry said, there may not be a model number for that horse.  Price depends on what the seller is willing to sell it for and what the buyer is willing to give.  What shape this horse is in will determine price, I've seen them go for next to nothing up to around $600.  The deck might be worth $100, but I saw one in good shape go for $25 a few years ago.

I was talking with some guy at the Big Show about 4 years ago.  He had a 701 he wanted to sell.  It was not restored, original patina, complete and started easy and ran.  I think he was asking $500 or $600.  It say there throughout the show.  It sold the last day for $450.  While we were talking, we got into talking about the mower deck that would go with this horse.  The gentleman that had a display next to him had a bunch of mower decks for sale.  We walked over and there was the right deck for the 701.  That guy did not want to haul it home if possible.  The guy I was talking with got the deck for $25.  He picked it up and went and slide it under the 701.  I could be wrong, but I think I remember Brian (Buckrancher) buying the horse and deck.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1

WHX??

Sounds like you have a line on a 701 with the solid front round hood.  Three things to look for that only a original 701 will have is a wider starter/gen belt guard with two belts under it which is quite noticeable.   The steering fan gear will be thicker than other horses. It's a good inch thick or so and lastly the fenders will have a v like bracket going to the tool box. 

As far as value 600 to 700 tops & anything less than 4- 500  is :ph34r: it. Yes a very desirable tractor to collectors but only if complete. That wide belt guard and other parts  are hens teeth and very $$ if you do find one. 

pics here of the 701 

1961 701 - 1955 to 1964 - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum

BTW Mike enjoyed your engine collection! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

Mike in NC

Thank you all for your replys!  I will try to go look at it soon or try to get him to send me some pictures of it. I will post back when I know for sure what it is.  Thanks again!!!

RandyLittrell

No blue book for old tractors, it's such a matter of what the seller and buyer think they are worth. When I have the money, I am willing to pay more than others probably, just because of what the junk they sell for new is. With a little love, attention and a few bucks, you will hand that over to your kids or grandkids!!

Randy

• Excellent 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, Mike in NC said:

Thank you all for your replys!  I will try to go look at it soon or try to get him to send me some pictures of it. I will post back when I know for sure what it is.  Thanks again!!!

Please do ... everyone here likes to play ID that tractor. A 701, if that's what it is,  is a favorite & bucket list tractor of many here. Hard to find tho. You start talking 701 scores around here yer gonna raise some eyebrows. 

One year at a show with our buddy @Achto he stumbled blind out house lucky on a very complete one for a lousy 200 bucks. Sure it needs some love but nothing we can't handle. We took one look at it our eyes bugged out realized what it was and I hollered SOLD! :lol: Was the first time in a long time we never even bothered to dicker on  the price!

Dan was a little short o cash so I loaned him abit with interest in the form of seat time! 

Him on it for his first time. Note the wide belt guard. We've seen that belt guard go for 200 clams alone. 

20190907_152627.jpg

Edited by WHX24
speeling
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Mike in NC

I hope the pictures will post. Here are a few of the tractor in question. And it DOES look like it is a 701. And a different friend that has seen it says it has two belts on the starter/generator!

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

rjg854

That appears to be a 701, but I'm no expert on the model.

• Like 2

rmaynard

Definitely a...701

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

It's for sure...701.  It also appears complete with an excellent patina.  Rescue that old girl now!!!  That is the correct mower deck also.  :orcs-cheers:

Hard to tell, but the throttle cable is not correct...no big deal there.  See what that top sticker says on the dash tower.  That would be the serial # and (if there was one) a model #.

• Like 3

Mike in NC

Thank you all!!  He is asking $400 for it. I do not know what they are worth.

• Like 2

WHX??
49 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Rescue that old girl now!!! 

:text-yeahthat:

No question about the model. 

49 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

with an excellent patina.

I'd say better than excellent and very complete! The deck is certainly correct. 

For us original guys I'm thinking that is a $400.00 tractor all day. Truth be told Mike if it were an auction tractor I would be prepared to go to 800 on it.  I hope nobody tries to do something stupid and resto it.

The finish underneath the dust & bird poop would be to die for. 

Check out how strait the sheet metal is!

Please keep us posted on what comes of it. 701 like that is a rare find. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

rmaynard

@stevasaurus my 701 does not have an ID tag, only a serial number tag. As a matter of fact, the 701 has nothing on it that identifies it as a 701. To me, that is what makes this one of the most unique and desirable tractor in the whole Wheel Horse family.

qx1Qj_t7T6Qo35wOvoefdDTAwXu_opEekAzrJK2M61Hdo98YrT_xg8-1NReovob3s36mmjl853CUrPIBxpNnJJFKmXgEv_jI_jYSeTdTfKMSJ-99tetTxTsWXhTXTVtai4LhQ60Py7Hnnu_POGGH8ZhKI36fWazuP-wJxYlH-piTHSXt75hu-cfZn1V8KdKAzmqQPZUvtrup9vrLTH51zVFEqREn10OaPVoafUglP6RXMPiBvnofh1-zkeXzGvUJR7ofBJM2vwhUCq5p3c3WsR_d2CSQVPi9jjeYS-kV54zq91veCCa-WxNmynUOnMw_Z7FUFLWbsTR882VUmZGKinW3YhvkyP3CeTSVjH9L1T3eX5oJhhewFrHZ9aI6LxWZGtaX12uDeKnLBrZ3_mQcJqPjRYLBPz3vtmhsuIm7Nb5dMDZ-eLGX12eAU2z5jZGYdmMbDTaC9FGc6_0uojkzgCJaX3D7ilPSKBFtuvbtrHyC_SdRRbHPKynZdqUZwGfl3kDgHez7Z2ZZf2t60k5CCUZuvpFEfs-t0oMuwdPz3wR_FxJ3wGYaJh_y_GepP_DsaZ6RFPqMPshjrtY6Aepr0reJutF8XpUC6y_DAYs7m-FpPRZZu8kZHOjapzL3Cl48vXzJFkLAtHzgPlN0grLqSzkrOL-kwPE170MNWBoG5FtxieYX5YYhNyoC3fbQ8ms=w660-h880-no?authuser=0

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Right Bob, Garry was saying they did not have a model number.  I saw the tag on that dash tower, and you know how Wheel Horse did things one year at a time.  :occasion-xmas:  Interested to see what this serial number is.

• Like 2

RandyLittrell

You've already told too many people, put the computer down and go get it now!!!! 

What a great find, seriously, go get it!! 

Randy

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Mike in NC

To give an update, I have worked out a deal with the owner and it will be coming home with me. After I pick it up, I will clean it up and take pictures and post here on this site.  Thank you all again for all the help and insight!!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Mike in NC

Hello again.  I went and picked up the tractor today. The serial number is 54817. I did not have time to clean it up any. I will do that next week. After it is cleaned I will post more pictures. Thank you again to everyone that helped with the ID on this one,

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2