haydendavid380

Drive belt replacement

haydendavid380

Was looking for something to do this weekend and figured I might as well do something productive. Ordered up a new belt for my B80. I imagine it's a fairly easy/straitforward job. 

Anything I should watch out for? 

Edited by haydendavid380
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

You're correct. 

All nuts and bolts. 

I can't speak for anything on the PTO because none of our tractors have one installed. 

I've seen the nut on the carriage bolt that holds the bottom of the step be quite rusted. 

TIGHTEN that one 1/8 turn before you loosen it. That breaks the rust. 

Remember that trick. An automotive tech told me many moons ago, "You can almost never loosen it but you can almost always tighten it". 

Seen a few folks use that over the years. Right @pullstart ?

108035 spring. Check the overall condition of the clutch spring. If you need a new one the least expensive I've found it so far is RCPW. 

Pivot points. Check ALL pivot points for excessive wear. Particularly the shaft of the idler where it goes through the frame. 

Carefully check idler pulley bearing. 

Any issues or questions just post em up...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Have tension on the belt before installing the guard so it doesn't end up on the wrong side of the guide.

• Like 1

haydendavid380

I'm assuming that could use to be replaced? 20210206_093817.jpg.2b0767292bbd2ed549cd0d5de01f6d0a.jpg

haydendavid380

The new belt seems to be holding down the idler pulley. Is that normal?

20210206_094351.jpg

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

I'm assuming that could use to be replaced? 20210206_093817.jpg.2b0767292bbd2ed549cd0d5de01f6d0a.jpg

Yeah that's about a decade past due. 

9 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

The new belt seems to be holding down the idler pulley. Is that normal?

20210206_094351.jpg

Did you happen to hold the new to old belts side by side to check length?

I'm gonna say that belt is a tad too short. The idler pulley should be up more when engaged. 

• Like 2

Handy Don
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Particularly the shaft of the idler where it goes through the frame

At both ends--and it'll appreciate a good grease when reassembled (just keep the grease off the pulley grooves and belt, of course).

roadapples

That flat break should be adjusted  up a little so it's  not rubbing on the belt until the  pedal  is pushed. The belt will stretch  some

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

haydendavid380
12 minutes ago, roadapples said:

That flat break should be adjusted  up a little so it's  not rubbing on the belt until the  pedal  is pushed. The belt will stretch  some

I'm not seeing that it's adjustable, unless it's not supposed to be welded on

20210206_103326.jpg.5c691d4bec6cc60f3f40305095e0afbe.jpg

roadapples

Hummm, mine aren't  welded...

Let's  see what others say...

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 1

haydendavid380

Double checked the length with a closer eye. Still think it looks pretty good.

20210206_103723.jpg.7e9db38fe16d2dee1f4eec9adb97f25a.jpg

Checked the width thinking maybe it's not sitting down into the pulleys all the way. It is indeed wider than the old one, but I don't know if it's within spec.

IMG_20210206_104258.jpg.2f1fd20cc4e93309bba34325fb565151.jpg

• Sad 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, haydendavid380 said:

within spec

Being wider on a tapered belt certainly does make it effectively longer because it sits higher. 

5/8 as a decimal is .625 so at .617 that is certainly in spec. 

1 hour ago, roadapples said:

Hummm, mine aren't  welded...

Let's  see what others say...

I've seen both but I can't remember what or there's a year range. I know my 74 B80 and 74 C160 are both welded. 

If you look at the point of contact on the idler guard there's clearly a worn spot. 

That would indicate a past PO installing a belt that was too short as I believe this one to be. 

I have run into this exact problem and I believe it was on my B80 as well. 

I ended up needing to order a belt that was either 1/2" or 1" longer through a local parts store. 

One thing you could try is sanding the inside grooves of the pulleys down to remove the rust and gain a little deeper set for the belt. 

That will help but I don't think enough to solve the problem. 

Do you have a store with a good belt measuring guage nearby?

haydendavid380

I don't know, to be honest. I've never looked. The is a TSC nearby. That'd be about the only place I could think of. 

• Like 1

roadapples

TSC should  have the  guage.

peter lena

haydendavid 380, agree with others on that  flat break placement , close to vertical, would be good, obvious welding in place  eliminates the original threaded hole / bolt set up. while you are there you could LUBRICATE ALL MOVEMENT POINTS , (   IF YOU WANT TO ), will make clutch action effortless , pete

• Like 1

haydendavid380

Well, both belts were almost a full inch short. They didn't have anything I could use in stock.

I have an 83" and a new idler pulley coming in the next few days. The bearing on the old one spun pretty well, but it was making a funky noise so I figured I might as well replace it. @ebinmaine I went ahead and ordered the return spring too. Thats easy enough to put on with everything put back together.

here's hoping we don't get any white stuff over the next week while this tractor is down.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

Well, both belts were almost a full inch short. They didn't have anything I could use in stock.

I have an 83" and a new idler pulley coming in the next few days. The bearing on the old one spun pretty well, but it was making a funky noise so I figured I might as well replace it. @ebinmaine I went ahead and ordered the return spring too. Thats easy enough to put on with everything put back together.

here's hoping we don't get any white stuff over the next week while this tractor is down.

Nice work double checking that belt length. 

If the bearing in the idler is making any noise it's short lived. 

Good to replace now.  

pfrederi

When it comes to gear drives I only use WH belts...

• Like 2

Rusty Tinsnips
On 2/6/2021 at 3:27 PM, ebinmaine said:

I have an 83"

Doesn't it call for an 82" x 5/8"?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Rusty Tinsnips said:

I'd have to look it up to see the exact length but that sounds right.

The one non modified  tractor I had problems lining up was also an eight horse. 

haydendavid380
40 minutes ago, Rusty Tinsnips said:

Yes, but the belt that was on it and the 82" I procured were too short. Thus going for an inch longer trying to get it into the sweet spot

• Like 2

Rusty Tinsnips
29 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

82" I procured were too short

I ordered one online that came 1" too short, then I went to TSC with old belt in hand, their 82" belt was 1" short, so went across the river to the next TSC and finally got the right belt. Tried to get an 83" at the first TSC but they were out of stock. So 1/2 of day later I had a belt.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Rusty Tinsnips said:

I ordered one online that came 1" too short, then I went to TSC with old belt in hand, their 82" belt was 1" short, so went across the river to the next TSC and finally got the right belt. Tried to get an 83" at the first TSC but they were out of stock. So 1/2 of day later I had a belt.

Some of us have good luck going to TSC for belts but I'm not one of them. Not likely for me to do it again because of the same issues you ran into. 

If you're going to order it online you might as well just get a Wheelhorse belt because the price is about the same...

Rusty Tinsnips
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

order it online you might as well just get a Wheelhorse belt

And it will be the correct size.

• Like 1

squonk

Most of the time, the belts at TSC are the wrong length because someone returned it in the wrong sleeve. ALWAYS check the numbers on the belt with the sleeve before you buy it. I have tremendous luck with TSC belts. I have them on gear jammers and hydros. 99% of the time you do not need OEM belts. This goes for the attachments too. If the OEM length is a true inch belt and not say an 83.5 a TSC belt is fine. Also belts don't stretch. The sides wear down causing the belt to go deeper into the pulley giving the impression that they are now longer.

• Like 2