AHS

Kohler K16

AHS

I’m looking into this from another guy who has a K 16hp for sale. What I want to know is will it power a PTO ... what I mean by that... was Wheelhorse Spec’d that Kohler have a second set of bearing behind the PTO. @ebinmaine and I talked about this. @Greentored Anyone else have any information? I will get the serial # and post it up here tomorrow.

AHS

What I mean by the last message that; the K341 had two bearings (PTO side) in ALL of them? Or just the one produced by Wheelhorse? I just want to know what I’m getting into here.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

• Haha 1

Greentored

Unfortunately I'm still kinda new to the Kohler stuff and wouldn't dare to guess. Sorry bud.

Truthfully, never even heard of this, so i'll be following to learn something as well.

• Like 1

Handy Don

I am not an expert but what I've gleaned from reading is that WH specs to Kohler for certain builds required built-in bearings capable of handling the end-force of the PTO. Clearly, Kohler made engines for LOTS of customers and not all had these specs. The fact that a PO put a Kohler in a WH doesn't mean it was a suitable engine.

For example, many WHs used an electric clutch PTO. These didn't need internal or external side-thrust bearings so why add the expense?

pfrederi

All  K341 series used two ball bearings.

K Series Twins and Magnum Twins did not use ball bearings  therefor WH spec models have a special thrust bearing.  Several B&S engines had to have external thrust bearings added by WH.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

AHS

Ok, what your saying is I can put a PTO on any K341, and it will be able to handle the snowblower.... the snowblower unleashes the most torque out of a motor!! Isavetractors has two ball bearing in each of the Kohler K rebuild kits. @pfrederi

pfrederi

No problem for K341 and snowblower.  here is mine..  Edit this is an older picture she now has Electro16 Stickers...

IMG_0063 (3).JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

oliver2-44

Yep, all K321's have 2 ball bearing, .  Just to be clear, that's one on each end of the crankshaft, not 2 on the PTO side. 

• Like 4

AHS

Ok,  so do all the big blocks have the screw in by the PTO side up into the block for the mounts? 

AHS

I just got back from doing the electrical work... and the 16 horse? Magnum was sitting in a Massey Ferguson without a hood and the carb completely exposed! It turns over though. It had the number 1655 on it, I assume that means for 16hp? Because that the only number I could find on it.  The Wheelhorse clutch, did Massey use that? Oh well. How much is the 16hp with with the exhaust and clutch worth? I have turned it over, and it feels good. Do I even want it? Tell me the good and bad points about them.

7C783E29-163E-49E9-B209-7D56D87E86C4.jpeg

26717727-88D0-4B28-9BBC-F6B51A7D57FB.jpeg

7E6044B0-5555-4141-8824-2433DA791858.jpeg

97E6AF03-2B30-4923-97CB-AE34CF167B91.jpeg

• Like 2

pfrederi

Can you read any of the numbers on the silver Kohler sticker..  According to Tractor data a Massey 1655 should have a 2 cylinder Onan engine.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Those Massey's were a decent rig all on their own. 

Not as simple as a horse. 

A Magnum is generally a great engine just as a K Series is. 

I'd be after it. 

• Like 1

AHS
8 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Can you read any of the numbers on the silver Kohler sticker..  According to Tractor data a Massey 1655 should have a 2 cylinder Onan engine.

No. Where else should I look? On the carb according to the manuals the 14 hp and the 16 hp should have a separate carb on them.. maybe the engine came out of a Wheelhorse; according to the red clutch!!

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, AHS said:

No. Where else should I look? On the carb according to the manuals the 14 hp and the 16 hp should have a separate carb on them.. maybe the engine came out of a Wheelhorse; according to the red clutch!!

The only way to know for sure is that sticker you can't read. 

The muffler appears solid and had some value by itself. 

You could perhaps check the listings for head gaskets. 

I know the K Series 16 had an extra head bolt.... 10? Maybe?

Not sure on Magnum. 

Does the linkage on the carb move at ALL??

• Like 1

pfrederi

Eric is right count the head bolts.  Any better pic of the PTO pulley??

• Like 2

AHS
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The only way to know for sure is that sticker you can't read. 

The muffler appears solid and had some value by itself. 

You could perhaps check the listings for head gaskets. 

I know the K Series 16 had an extra head bolt.... 10? Maybe?

Not sure on Magnum. 

Does the linkage on the carb move at ALL??

And the other 10, 12,14hp are 9 head bolts! Bingo!!

• Like 1

AHS

It’s definitely a wheelhorse motor, the Wheelhorse clutch and the brake... I looked under model on the engine you can see the ‘M1’ and half of the ‘6’. I looked on the other side where the driveshaft was and noticed the hobb job welding. The oil pressure sensor was not hooked up. As @pfrederi said “it wasn’t the original engine”. It’s time to take it back where it was supposed to be, a Wheelhorse!! I covered it up with a tarp.

704625EB-1053-46F9-BCED-15CAA16A1C4A.jpeg

A2A3AB42-E342-442B-8647-A8E931DAC4FE.jpeg

• Like 1

richmondred01

The crank needs to be 1 1/8 x 3.25 for your wheel horse.

Not all Kohler cranks were machined to those specs.

The M16, in my opinion, was the best single cylinder engine ever produced. 
Worse case you can swap cranks. I do that several times a year for people.

However, when I say that, please know that the new crank will need to be polished or ground and a new rod installed.

Of course while you have it torn down, you should inspect the bore, valves, seats and guides. 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

It should be the right crankshaft since it already has the Wheelhorse PTO on it. 

• Like 1

richmondred01

You're right.

I didn’t thoroughly read the entire thread.

• Like 1

Bill D

Buy that engine if you can.  If it sits much longer it might not be salvageable.

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 1

AHS
3 hours ago, Bill D said:

Buy that engine if you can.  If it sits much longer it might not be salvageable.

It’s covered by a tarp now. The guy said it was run within the last two years, and it turns over.