ohiofarmer

Small engine YouTube-- love them or hate them?

ohiofarmer

Everybody has their favorites, i guess, so put yours down and why you like them. some of it is personality, and that can get in the way of knowledge. The top guys that I know of are Steve, Taryl, Doublewide6, Mick's mowers,Bruces garage, Mustie1, and a few others i may have forgotten. These are not necessarily my favorites, but maybe you guys can say which are your favorites and why.

What i find important considerations are , in no particular order of importance, are camera work [so you can see and understand what is happening] sound quality, variety [showing the same stuff over and over] brevity [ in some cases] editing [using the speed it up function so we need not see tightening 16 bolts]. lighting [ so we can see, period]

Now i am gonna mention one guy in particular and that is Donnyboy. He was on a chat with Steve's small engine saloon, and I always thought he was a bit serious, but did know his equipment. There is a good reason that he is serious as he has to stay very close to home all the time because his wife has a serious health condition that requires he do so. Even though he knew of her condition before their marriage,  I am thinking that he is going to be one guy that i subscribe to and hit that like button on a consistent basis just to help his revenue stream.  Maybe you might wish wish to do the same.

• Like 3

Maxwell-8
30 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

Everybody has their favorites, i guess, so put yours down and why you like them. some of it is personality, and that can get in the way of knowledge. The top guys that I know of are Steve, Taryl, Doublewide6, Mick's mowers,Bruces garage, Mustie1, and a few others i may have forgotten. These are not necessarily my favorites, but maybe you guys can say which are your favorites and why.

What i find important considerations are , in no particular order of importance, are camera work [so you can see and understand what is happening] sound quality, variety [showing the same stuff over and over] brevity [ in some cases] editing [using the speed it up function so we need not see tightening 16 bolts]. lighting [ so we can see, period]

Now i am gonna mention one guy in particular and that is Donnyboy. He was on a chat with Steve's small engine saloon, and I always thought he was a bit serious, but did know his equipment. There is a good reason that he is serious as he has to stay very close to home all the time because his wife has a serious health condition that requires he do so. Even though he knew of her condition before their marriage,  I am thinking that he is going to be one guy that i subscribe to and hit that like button on a consistent basis just to help his revenue stream.  Maybe you might wish wish to do the same.

For some fun: Cars and Cameras: https://www.youtube.com/user/CarsandCameras

for some great general info: project farm: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2rzsm1Qi6N1X-wuOg_p0Ng

I save tractors: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjgZ1T9MpGJ1zXD0wdoML3A

Big fan of @pullstart:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqXdGf0GosvZApUtGzA6M9Q

@ebinmaine:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoE6R9_IV0xE7vteRSxtsvg

(they are the best and they are in-house yt channels)

Some mower trail riding: 

Redzz00: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7gENixFV-TQOvoHbtDSq5w

Fearless fronts: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEfmZ9qmyvjEDj3c6f9AN_w

Mower outlaw: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGisgenmVEyMbn4UYFYE6Q

Creepycrawler: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS_w3BhhbsVTHiuxNdAtMdg/videos

And a crazy cub: mr studabacker: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOXWNl17Oo5coHIoBH-wjzA

And for you all wondering, yes i have an Youtube addiction hahaha

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

tunahead72
1 hour ago, ohiofarmer said:

...  Now i am gonna mention one guy in particular and that is Donnyboy. He was on a chat with Steve's small engine saloon, and I always thought he was a bit serious, but did know his equipment. There is a good reason that he is serious as he has to stay very close to home all the time because his wife has a serious health condition that requires he do so. Even though he knew of her condition before their marriage,  I am thinking that he is going to be one guy that i subscribe to and hit that like button on a consistent basis just to help his revenue stream.  Maybe you might wish wish to do the same.

Donyboy73 and Steve's are two of my favorites.  I didn't know that about donyboy's wife, I'll have to check out their chat.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

@Maxwell-8 thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm just a hack with a phone. 

:scared-eek:

Good list above I can't really add to but I'll update if anything pops to mind. 

Whenever someone posts here on Redsquare I usually subscribe to their channel so I don't miss things happening. 

• Like 2

Pullstart

Thanks @Maxwell-8, I too am just a hack with enough time to record myself picking my nose! 

Though tractors are a huge part of my life, I don’t spend much time on YouTube watching them.  I have a bunch of subscriptions that I check in on occasionally, but watch farmhandscompanion, The Fab Forums, MeatEater and various other Hot Rod related stuff.  I also have a big appreciation for mixed martial arts and have began following Marie Ruumet’s fights.  Another big time taker of mine is watching hunting videos, like scouting tips, shooting tips or just amazing hunts.  

No matter what you watch, knowing that people are awesome and not always much different than you or I but willing to go out and record something... it’s good stuff.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Maxwell-8
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

I don’t spend much time on YouTube watching them.

2 hours ago, pullstart said:

No matter what you watch, knowing that people are awesome and not always much different than you or I but willing to go out and record something... it’s good stuff.

I wise I could spend some more time on my machines, they are not stored at my house, because of the small room we have here. so i can spend max a half day a week with all my machines.  Last time i went , it has been like a small month.  So Red Square and Youtube are the best alternative.

Next week i will finally have some time! doing a trans flush and so on. 

Okey, you have quite the herd, but for me and many others, there will always be someone with a better, bigger, faster, tougher, nicer machine, WH or car and the internet can really make you sick about not having what somebody else is having, I have learned, to be very thankful an greatfull with what you have. 

I mean it's quite crazy with what i have, at one point i owned 12 chainsaws, but no small one, A Stihl MS880, A husky 390xp, a 372xp x-torq and so on. Well this summer i sold them all, and i am down to three. Sti(h)ll more then i need, and financially a lot easier. I am more happy with those three, then i was with them all. (Now WH's are a different story of course.:D)

The moral story, we have to be happy, with what we have, as there is always somebody with more, there will always be somebody with less.

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Heart 3

tunahead72

I just re-acquainted myself with the channel from olds45512, and thought I would mention it here.  He has several Kohler videos that are worth watching, plus others that feature older Cub tractors and plow days among other things.  I've really only watched his Kohler head and valve/breather videos, but he also has some Kohler rebuild videos that I'll check out soon.  They're very calm, professional and thorough.  I haven't seen much in the way of editing so far, but his camera and sound work are very good.  He actually has a 20-minute video on resurfacing a Kohler head, so be forewarned if you don't feel you have the patience to watch something that repetitive.  For me, it was worth seeing that I've basically been doing it correctly all this time, and it really does take that long to get it done properly.

• Like 2

i love Taryl

if you want to see old Caterpillar tractors check out Squatch253

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

another guy that is interesting to watch is Jonathon W

he is always messing with some old piece of equipment. recently he got an old dragline crane that had been out in the woods for 30+ years running and drove it out after clearing a road. he needs it to set up a 175 HP steam engine on his property. the flywheel alone is something like 16,000 pounds

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
11 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

I just re-acquainted myself with the channel from olds45512, and thought I would mention it here.  He has several Kohler videos that are worth watching, plus others that feature older Cub tractors and plow days among other things.  I've really only watched his Kohler head and valve/breather videos, but he also has some Kohler rebuild videos that I'll check out soon.  They're very calm, professional and thorough.  I haven't seen much in the way of editing so far, but his camera and sound work are very good.  He actually has a 20-minute video on resurfacing a Kohler head, so be forewarned if you don't feel you have the patience to watch something that repetitive.  For me, it was worth seeing that I've basically been doing it correctly all this time, and it really does take that long to get it done properly.

Yes those are good and he is a member over on Only Cub Cadets. 

Randy

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
On 2/24/2021 at 9:45 AM, 305 said:

if you want to see old Caterpillar tractors check out Squatch253

Yes most definitely. I actually found his channel through his Super M rebuild, and its been one of my favorites ever since. Guy has probably forgotten more about the CAT D2s than most people will ever know. 

haydendavid380

We don't have cable, so I usually spend a couple hours at night watching the tubes. 

The tractor guys I'm subbed to are ebinmaine, isavetractors, Kevin Alberts (which I think is pullstart?), Machinery Restorer, and Taryl.

Fun fact for you Taryl fans, he's a customer of mine, and I delivered their 100k subscription award to junior last year 😎

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1