oliver2-44

1056 named "Patches"

ebinmaine

Beautiful work so far Sir. Particularly the carb. Looks new. 

Lookin forward to your work and adventures!

• Like 1

Achto
3 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Does anyone have a good method of making one of these, or a source to buy a new gasket?

I usually go to my local hardware store and find a neoprene/rubber washer that is the correct size to replace the cork gasket.

• Like 3

oliver2-44
1 hour ago, Achto said:

I usually go to my local hardware store and find a neoprene/rubber washer that is the correct size to replace the cork gasket.

Thanks for the idea @Achto, I'll check out Ace this week!

• Like 1

Greentored

Love it, and glad to know I might’ve helped give a fellow horseman an idea! 👍

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Bling.  It’s @AMC RULES fault. After seeing him polish a muffler, I had to see what a few minutes with my cloth compound wheel and some white rouge would do. 

4A45758D-27AC-4C10-995C-08DE494E5EFE.jpeg.34337e163450cb9a7977a7198f03d1f1.jpeg

Another part cleaned, rebuild kit installed and polished a little. It’s in the box for the next trip to the farm. 

B00BD3D0-347D-40B0-9554-1CCC0E773307.jpeg.af318fef12a3ae3805377b38067a5f31.jpegPicked up a large rubber washer from Ace. I found one with the correct ID and cut the OD to fit the old gas cap. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 5

pfrederi

It looks pretty ...but does it pump better:P

• Haha 1

AMC RULES

A couple minutes with a well worn wire wheel first, or brush by hand is typically enough to achieve the look.

oliver2-44
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

It looks pretty ...but does it pump better:P

The overhaul kit should make it pump better.......Bling adds an extra big smile to our face🤪

• Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Monday and Tuesday I went down homer to La Grange and took care of thing at my Moms, my sisters and my brothers house in anticipation of the cold weather.

Then I went out to the farm and checked my Oliver tractor and had some time to work on Patches.  I got the cleaned and rebuilt fuel pump, carb, installed new blue fuel line and filter and reinstalled the cleaned gas tank with new valve.  So I had everything to start it up but realized the choke and throttle cable were froze and beyond freeing up.  But I had to see if it would run, so I installed a new spark plug and the new battery and new cables. With the fuel line off at the carb I cranked it until I got gas.. Hooked the line to the carb, manually worked the choke and IT SPRANG TO LIFEIt's always a thrill to hear one of these old starter generators and kohler engine run after sitting for unknown number of years.  it had a few pops and spits as it ran, and puffs of dirt blew our from behind the flywheel every few minutes.  I ran it for about 15 minutes at a very fast idle using the idle screw on the carb since I don't have a throttle cable on it. Them I changed the engine oil.  I'll tune the carb better when I have a new choke and throttle cable.  

So I need some help finding Choke and Throttle cables that match the originals as close as possible.  The knob on these are about 1-1/4" in diameter which if larger than the generic ones found today.  They both are about 36" long

The parts list shows them as Choke Assy #5170 and Throttle Assy #6484

1098199018_IMG_51131.JPG.8c6e8bc19007f24f9d92ad8c31fdeba8.JPG

The first and 3rd one on this list at Pats Small engine look similar, and match the old and new part numbers.  So I'm going to order them. 

http://www.psep.biz/store/toro_mower_cables.htm

I also installed a new shifter book.  I have to give the old PO credit for his makeshift cover.  As you can see it the picture he made a hole in a square of red plastic that fit tightly on the shifter rod.  Under this plastic was a wad of clear silicone.  As a testament to it working i quickly pulled the transmission plug then put it back as oil with no sign of water came out the bottom.  I'll change the transmission oil after I can drive it and warm the oil up some.

2106199372_IMG_51051.JPG.d509e63ad9520cb90cebb42e3b364a77.JPG

Here's some pictures of this mornings rain and sleet that froze on the ground back at my house in Marble Falls today (Thursday)  

Stay warm !

13170844_IMG_51081.JPG.75b2505ad5624bfdc5a7bee61a1527c7.JPG1625278153_IMG_51101.JPG.401ecc30415d82ed3d511969dfcf3d88.JPG

• Excellent 2

Pullstart

Awesome news!  Looks cold there!  -5 this morning on the thermometer!

And yes, I replaced those horrid wipers for a more clear view!

EAE8F86B-FC2C-4EB4-AF3B-BF5F22C278C0.jpeg

• Like 2

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

Looks cold there!  

Certainly not a normal Texas winter day.  We’re forecast to see 10F on Monday and 7” of snow. I may try to take the grader blade off and put my plow on my C160 since the it has weights and chains     .  May be the only chance in my life to plow snow

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

I borrowed this picture from @Al C. 

My tractor has the top and bottom PTO rod bracket, but is missing the PTO bell and rod.  I have a couple of PTO bells, so I need to learn what diameter is the correct PTO bell for this 1056?

I'll be posting a Wanted ad, for a PTO Rod, 2 Spoke Steering Wheel and maybe a PTO bell once I learn which is the correct one if I don't have the correct one.

post-14163-0-88641600-1426626261.jpg

Edited by oliver2-44

953 nut
On 2/11/2021 at 3:31 PM, oliver2-44 said:

I need some help finding Choke and Throttle cables that match the originals as close as possible. 

Do a search for WWII Jeep or Power Wagon throttle cables.

Black choke + Throttle cables with Metal knobs Fit Willys CJ2A CJ3A CJ3B  jeep | eBay

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto
10 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Do a search for WWII Jeep or Power Wagon throttle cables.

Am I wrong, or is that style for the round hoods?? I thought that the '65 and newer models had this cable. 1st and 3rd item at this site.

• Excellent 2

953 nut
51 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

I have a couple of PTO bells, so I need to learn what diameter is the correct PTO bell for this 1056?

Many (probably most) 1056s didn't have the bell PTO, they used the foot pedal to actuate the mower. If you had the RL-426 mower it would have the bell. If your engine has a 1 1/8" crank on the PTO end you could use the 953 disk and bell. 

• Excellent 1

953 nut
3 minutes ago, Achto said:

is that style for the round hoods??

Good catch.              :handgestures-thumbupleft:               I was thinking along the lines of a locking throttle cable.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

wh1056 right side hay bales 2.JPG

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

oliver2-44
15 hours ago, Achto said:

Am I wrong, or is that style for the round hoods?? I thought that the '65 and newer models had this cable. 1st and 3rd item at this site.

Thanks, @953 nut and @AchtoMy old one have been soaking in warm diesel for 2 weeks and haven't moved yet. I say "warm diesel" as they are safety positioned on the shelf  that is above my little shop electric heater that runs when I'm in the shop.  

• Like 3

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Thanks, @953 nut and @AchtoMy old one have been soaking in warm diesel for 2 weeks and haven't moved yet. I say "warm diesel" as they are safety positioned on the shelf  that is above my little shop electric heater that runs when I'm in the shop.  

I think it was on here I read, I’m thinking it was @Ed Kennell, who said to clamp the solid part in a vice and rotate the knob to twist the cable free from the sheathing after you cut the Z bend off.  Clean it up, then reassemble and bend.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
19 minutes ago, pullstart said:

who said to clamp the solid part in a vice

That's right Kev.   The key here is by clamping the sheath in the vise at the knob or lever end and then twisting  the wire at that end, you are only trying to free a small part of the wire at the very end as opposed to pushing or pulling the entire wire.   It works for me.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

I brought the seat pan home with me from the farm and tried sanding it down to original paint  The 2 repaint color coats were fairly thick. I got kind of aggressive with some 180 and still didn’t sand through them. I moved to plan B and gave it a @pullstart  320 wet sand and 2 coats of Rustoleum rattle can satin clear, wet sanding between coats with some 600.  The 3 shades of red kind of fits the “Patches” name. 

962D67D3-47DC-4A4A-928B-59735BCAD950.jpeg.752d6c65ff7070e172d7452625800b7f.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Looks just right Jim!  Well done!