Cee245

Hour meter on 85 417A

Cee245

I have a 86 417A(for sale) and a 97 416H.

I know, when I leave the key on the 416H when not running, the hour meter does NOT go up.

My 417A had 634 hours last year, and now it is up to 784!  It had 777 hours last week and was NOT run. Just noticed the key was left on (again, my kids). 

In reality, it has about 650 hours

Has anyone else dealt with this? 

Pollack Pete

Simple solution........remove the key.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

c-series don

Yes, I have a 314-A at my rental house for the tenant to mow with. He left the key on for weeks a while ago and racked up many hours on the meter. I forget how many it added but it was a lot 

lynnmor

Your 416H has the ground for the hour meter run thru the oil pressure sensor, it turns on when there is oil pressure.

• Like 3

Cee245

@Pollack Pete, serious? ya, umm, no kidding? Uh, I know removing the key would obviously not rack up the hours. 

My question was has anyone dealt with my issue before.

As  @lynnmor says, It looks like the 416H has a ground that runs to the meter? Which causes it to NOT run the hour meter unless it's running some how? 

The point of this post is that it looks that my 417A has 784 hours, when in fact, has closer to 650, or even less. No wonder it runs like a champ.

Bill D

Buy a normally open oil pressure switch with two terminals.  Plumb it in using a tee along with the original pressure switch.  Run the positive feed for the hour meter thru this switch.  When the engine is running the oil pressure will close the switch and allow the hour meter to run.  The hour meter can't run unless the engine is running.  Better yet use an Onan pressure switch for a 520 or 416 and copy the wiring for the hour meter and oil pressure light circuits.  Run the ground for the hour meter thru the Onan pressure switch just like the Onan powered tractors.  Someone here can help you find the switches you would need depending on which way you go.  Garry @gwest_cacan supply the wiring diagrams you would need.  I haven't done this mod as I am the the only one that runs my tractors.  Bill

• Like 1

tom2p
On 1/5/2021 at 6:39 PM, Pollack Pete said:

Simple solution........remove the key.

my solution also 

I never leave a key inserted in any battery start vehicle while it sits 

but for the most part - primarily  because I had two young boys 

Handy Don

The camp tractor has a solar trickle charger plugged in whenever tractor is parked. Key is hung over the charger connector to remind user to disconnect before driving but also to make sure key cannot be left "on". Young'uns know that unsupervised playing on or near the tractor is a major no-no and so far so good.

Pollack Pete
7 hours ago, tom2p said:

Same here and it's just the Squaw and I that live here.Could just picture a youngster getting a machine started and running it through a door,or wall,or worse.Takes 3 seconds to pull the key out.Better safe than sorry.

Handy Don
10 hours ago, tom2p said:

my solution also 

I was 13 when workers left the keys in a road grader down the street after finishing for the day. Had it running in no time and was moving it back and forth and playing with the blade when my Dad showed up. There were other kids around and it coulda been a disaster but I was lucky. He wasn't sure whether to be impressed at my ingenuity or blazing mad at my ignorance so the punishment was light but the lesson learned was heavy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

cschannuth

If I took the keys out of my tractors, or my vehicles for that matter, I would never know where my keys were. Lol

• Like 2

pfrederi

Heck I leave the keys in my truck so I don't lose them

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

tom2p
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I was 13 when workers left the keys in a road grader down the street after finishing for the day. Had it running in no time and was moving it back and forth and playing with the blade when my Dad showed up. There were other kids around and it coulda been a disaster but I was lucky. He wasn't sure whether to be impressed at my ingenuity or blazing mad at my ignorance so the punishment was light but the lesson learned was heavy.

that's a great story - and fortunately no one hurt 

similar story when I was a kid - but I was maybe 8 or so years old at the time 

was with a bunch of kids when we climbed on to an excavator or road grader (or something) at a job site basically at the end of our dead end road 

at the time my dad had an old dodge truck and a willys jeep ... one of them - I believe it was the willys - started by pressing a button on the floor with your foot ... the button was very much like the high-low beam switch in some 60's cars ... 

I pressed a similar button on the excavator with my foot - and it roared to life 

we jumped off the excavator and ran as fast as we could to one kid's house and told his parents what we (I) had just done 

can't recall what happened ... again - I was around 8 at the time 

Edited by tom2p
  • Excellent 1