Horse Newbie

1994 520H Overcharging ?

Horse Newbie

Hey guys...if you don't mind, check out this video and tell me what you think.

I'm concerned that my 520H may be overcharging...how can I check the charging system ?

Edited by Horse Newbie

WHX??

Only way to know for sure guy is put a DMM on the battery and see what you are actually charging. The gauges are known to be the not most accurate however the regulators on these beasts are definitely know for over charging yet easily replaced.  Thank fully replacements are rather cheap and readily available.  I have replaced just about every regulator on every Onan I have ever owned due to over charging.  Check it with a good voltmeter. 

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
8 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Only way to know for sure guy is put a DMM on the battery and see what you are actually charging

What's a DMM ?

R Scheer

Digital MultiMeter = DMM.   It'll be more accurate then the gauge.

The 14.5V shown on your gauge seems reasonable, what's the voltage at full throttle?

• Like 3

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, R Scheer said:

Digital MultiMeter = DMM.   It'll be more accurate then the gauge.

The 14.5V shown on your gauge seems reasonable, what's the voltage at full throttle?

Don't really know the voltage at full throttle...I'll do some checking tomorrow and try to figure things out.

I do have a cheapy DMM from HF.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Those numbers on those gauges are "realitive" at best, but also notice the colored bars if you're in the green then you're safe, also when you first start up they "charge" a bit more until they warm up and "normalize" in my experiences, but like said above using the DMM at the battery and the voltage regulator check for actual output 

16093762301716804947585033968906.jpg

16093763163866155568877029066892.jpg

16093763598086408117694337070711.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
48 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Those numbers on those gauges are "realitive" at best, but also notice the colored bars if you're in the green then you're safe, also when you first start up they "charge" a bit more until they warm up and "normalize" in my experiences, but like said above using the DMM at the battery and the voltage regulator check for actual output 

16093762301716804947585033968906.jpg

16093763163866155568877029066892.jpg

16093763598086408117694337070711.jpg

Thanks @WVHillbilly520H  

What is the difference between SPEC A 20 AMP  and BEGIN SPEC B 20 AMP on TABLE 1 ?...

or which should I use ?

Would I find the answer on the engine ID label ?

20201226_201003.jpg

WVHillbilly520H
6 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Thanks @WVHillbilly520H  

What is the difference between SPEC A 20 AMP  and BEGIN SPEC B 20 AMP on TABLE 1 ?...

or which should I use ?

Would I find the answer on the engine ID label ?

20201226_201003.jpg

Should be on the label, but if you notice there is not much difference in the AC voltage and the DC is the same on the last chart.

• Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
36 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Should be on the label, but if you notice there is not much difference in the AC voltage and the DC is the same on the last chart

@WVHillbilly520H  thank you...yes I did notice that there was not much differences in the numbers for the voltages.

I attempted this test a month or so back when you and @lynnmor was helping me.

But I was a little confused on whether or not the test should be done with the battery hooked up and I believe it was Lynnmor who was telling me all test steps were done with the battery hooked up.

Meanwhile I had moved on to other items on the 520H that I wanted to address.

I will perform the test again to try to define exactly if the stator and regulator/ rectifier are performing within specs...also you or Lynnmor, and at least one other person on Red Square has suggested maybe just go ahead and replace the regulator since they are not that expensive- I may do that, but I want to do the test anyways for 2 reasons...

1.  For the schooling/ experience

2.  To check things out.

I am starting to get the upper hand on my 520H, and am very pleased with the way it is turning out (I know it sat outside for some time)

Thanks again for all your help...and other members too !

• Thanks 1