cmt123

RJ58 for Christmas

troutbum70

The after looks very good, appears that you done an engine swap. Was the original engine not running?

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

I hope that you intend to get the old engine running and replace it onto the tractor!

VERY nice job, and a heckuva Dad too!  Your son is a very lucky boy!

• Like 1

rjg854

:WRS: @cmt123 looks good. Hope you can get the engine running and reinstalled. It would be well worth it to keep it original if at all possible. But it is your tractor and you might as well have it, the way you want it. ;)

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: and Merry Christmas!  Nice tractor!

• Like 1

cmt123

Thank you for the compliments. I very much so intend on replacing the harbor freight motor with either a Clinton or. Kohler engine. The Clinton engine that was on it was a Model 498 not a B1290. This is an early RJ58 with no casting date on the transmission; the serial number is 05714. The tractor had been rolled so I replaced all of the upright support and beat on the hood with a dolly and hammer for about 12 hours to get the major bow and twist out of it. None of the steering components were correct, the gas tank is not correct, the gears in the transmission are in really bad bad shape.. there were a lot of things wrong but it is a nice looking tractor now and it runs. The seller even took the lift cable off and repost it for sale. Parts are hard to come by here on the Mississippi Coast so it will take some time to find them.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
22 minutes ago, cmt123 said:

Parts are hard to come by here

Well... you've come to the right place!  There are guys here who have enough parts laying around to build 100 tractors from scratch!  I'm pretty sure you can find what you need from them.

• Like 1

cmt123

That's what I like to hear because I am in the market for parts, or even whole tractors.

• Like 2

cmt123

Thanks, wallfish! I did buy a lift cable from them. I should probably post detailed pictures of the tractor and a list of things I know that are incorrect. Here are a few more until I can take better pictures. 

20201225_080415.jpg

Screenshot_20201226-214710.png

20201223_122222.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Nice work so far!

You've certainly found the best possible place to get help, parts etc for a horse. 

Welcome aboard. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Nice job! :bow-blue:

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Getting to be a very nice tractor. One thing to add to your todo list is add some weight to the front end such as filling the front tires or a front weight.  Those RJ's are very light on the front end . If you or he pop the clutch a little you can easily be looking at the sky.   

• Like 1

cmt123

@oliver2-44 Santa Clause found that out first-hand and filled the front tires with water. But thx for the tip!

• Haha 1

WHNJ701
4 minutes ago, cmt123 said:

@oliver2-44 Santa Clause found that out first-hand and filled the front tires with water. But thx for the tip!

Might want to use something other than water like windshield washer fluid that doesn't freeze

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, jabelman said:

Might want to use something other than water like windshield washer fluid that doesn't freeze

Check locally for Rimguard. Around here it's less expensive. 

• Like 1

cmt123

Luckily a freeze is a rare thing in South Mississippi, but the water will be replaced with something else.  

adsm08
1 hour ago, oliver2-44 said:

Getting to be a very nice tractor. One thing to add to your todo list is add some weight to the front end such as filling the front tires or a front weight.  Those RJ's are very light on the front end . If you or he pop the clutch a little you can easily be looking at the sky.   

I can do that to my 855 when i have the deck off.

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

I can do that to my 855 when i have the deck off.

Trina's 867 as well. Small block with short frame. 

I've added roller chain to the front tires and will be putting on a weight in the front. 

cschannuth

Even with weight in the front that’s going to be very prone to wheelies. I threw a predator in my 606 roller and even with my 42 inch snow blade on the front it easily lifts the front end off the ground if you’re goofing around. I  use ethylene glycol antifreeze in all of my tires. It actually helps preserve the inside of the tire and the wheel.  I had it in my 520 for over 20 years with no issues. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Go a head and list the parts you are looking for.  @Lane Ranger may have some for you, or know where to find them.  Great pictures and Welcome to Red Square.  :occasion-xmas:

• Excellent 1

cmt123

Thanks! @stevasaurus I need: front wheels, exhaust heat shield, correct engine complete with shroud and air cleaner, correct gas tank, engine pulley, lift cable hold down tab (or the dimensions of an original),  BFG rear AG tires and every gear in the transmission. I know that's that's a pretty good wish list, but that's what I need for a "correct" restoration. Once I have the parts I will break it back down, sandblast it again and this time it will be sprayed with automotive paint. @Lane Ranger

Edited by cmt123
forgot to tag a member
  • Excellent 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to  :rs:

• Thanks 1