bc.gold

Something not from landfill

bc.gold

Bought a new laptop, Asus ROG, Core i7, 16 gig ram, Nividia RTX graphics running at 144Hz, no more eye strain. What can I say it came pre-loaded with win 10 home edition :angry-nono::bow-blue::confusion-scratchheadblue::bitch::angry-cussingblack:

The OCR app maxed out 16 gigs of memory.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

roadapples

What he say????

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

bc.gold

The majority of laptops, the graphics display does not have dedicated memory but rather shares ( robs ) from ram intended for the CPU.

Graphics power the monitor screen, cheap graphics have a slow refresh rate, it's like looking at a strobe light, people complain of eye strain and headaches. My old laptop was giving me both.

Old laptop only had 4 gigabytes of memory running on Linux and never ever complained, the new machine has 16 gigabytes and the program I was using ran out of horse power. Not enough memory to complete the task. Could not save the work, all was lost.

After using Linux for the past 15 years I'm finding win 10 a mind boggle. In all those years absent it  seems there have not been any improvements.

Win 10 no longer supports the Twain driver, printers, scanners and cameras of yesteryear all used that twain driver. By discontinuing support Win 10 has obsoleted hundreds of dollars of hardware, none of which is compatible with Win 10.

With the absence of the twain driver which was universally shared, hardware manufactures are now taking advantage of this fact by putting out hardware no longer following the standard.

Most of the purchase price on this new machine went into a Win 10 license fee and that RTX graphics with dedicated memory and with a 144Hz refresh rate. I no longer suffer from eye strain or headaches.

Tongue in cheek, I'm blessed.

• Like 1

Achto

I have a love/hate relationship with Win 10 my self. Is OK for the most part but don't like that they dropped some features that was used to with the earlier systems.

• Thanks 1

cafoose

Can you partition the hard drive and make a dual boot system so you can choose either Linux or Win 10? :eusa-think:

CCW
1 hour ago, cafoose said:

Can you partition the hard drive and make a dual boot system so you can choose either Linux or Win 10? :eusa-think:

Yes you can.  I have two older XP laptops that I put Linux on. When installing you can partition the drive.

Stormin
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Here is my laptop.               :ychain:

2111729501_catonlap.JPG.690fed139b44b0f52a2e17bdc49b3f46.JPG

How many gigabites?

• Haha 3

formariz
14 minutes ago, Stormin said:

How many gigabites?

No gigabites on those models, just occasional love-bites.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

cafoose
22 minutes ago, Stormin said:

How many gigabites?

tenor.gif

• Haha 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

I have a 2 year old Tabby with 10 claws and a mouth full of teeth.  Loves me doesn't like Mrs. El Camino .  Does that count as a gigabite ?

• Haha 1

Stormin
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Loves me doesn't like Mrs. El Camino .  

Sounds like the cat my first wife and I had. That cat had more sense than me. :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

bc.gold
5 hours ago, cafoose said:

Yes I could, but the problem is, the Czur CT18 ( $600,00 ) scanner that I recently purchased will only operate on Mac or Win 10 operating system.

With L1 / L2 shot I'm only good on my feet for a couple of hours so its not worth heating the shop to do winter projects, I figured scanning shop manuals would be a good inside SCUT job.

The scanned manuals are void of grease and dog ears the files are editable and searchable, last manual that I had scanned was 548 pages. Computer did not have enough memory to save that file.

Most laptops ship with 8 gigabytes, 16 would be considered over kill and it still wasn't enough. Last night ordered a 32 gigabyte ram kit.

When searching for a new laptop, a good monitor was priority and ease of opening up the computer for future upgrades was another feature. Asus appeared to be the ticket I was looking for.

I can learn to live with Win 10 most of the Linux apps that I use have all been ported over the run on windows.

Stormin

BTW. I've an Asus laptop with Widows 10. Can't fault it.

bc.gold
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

BTW. I've an Asus laptop with Widows 10. Can't fault it.

My neighbor purchased an Asus laptop as well but a different model offered below $1000.00 as an impulse purchase from discount stores. The higher end models are only offered via online, shipped from the warehouse.

Some word play and a grey area to bypass manufactures suggested retail is to advertise one of as an open box at a discount. I purchased an open box and the only difference was a Geek sticker affixed to the never opened box. Saved $300.00 on the purchase and gives them free advertising, which in my case living rural did not return any dividends.

The neighbors Asus has a very smooth finish on the case, one just need to be within ten feet of that thing and the case is smeared with fingerprints. The lid is poorly engineered making it difficult to open

Low end graphics which shares memory from a factory installed 8 gigabytes of ram but an impressive one terabyte solid state hard drive, good to use for browsing the web or posting a few eBay auctions.

Personally I would never acquire enough data that would require a terabyte of storage, couple of years ago had upgraded my HP to a 500 meg solid state hard drive and never once exceeded its capacity.

The old HP struggled with large e-books, took forever to refresh a page, this new Asus has no issues, In the most part very pleased with it.

Hopefully the 32 gig ram kit will solve the issues of saving a large file.

As for Win 10 and Asus, probably can not purchase an off the shelf Win 10 pro to replace the home edition as the windows used on Asus has propitiatory drivers which will not be included.

Yea the drivers are probably available from Asus but I'm not a fan of having to register with name and phone number.

One feature I wanted was Bluetooth, if I  ever decide to purchase hearing aids they'll have the capability of being paired with the laptop.

We don't own a television.

Edited by bcgold
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

@bcgold scanning manuals, especially including the OCR to make them text searchable is a terrific contribution to the community every bit as valuable as sharing a clever bit of fab engineering or a maintenance tip. Thank you. 

• Thanks 1

bc.gold
On 11/17/2020 at 8:26 AM, Handy Don said:

@bcgold scanning manuals, especially including the OCR to make them text searchable is a terrific contribution to the community every bit as valuable as sharing a clever bit of fab engineering or a maintenance tip. Thank you. 

OCR ( optical character recognition ) is able to recognize misspelIings. I've replaced the second L with and I at first glance are you able to discern the difference.

OCR would reject the misspelled, ask yourself where would this matter.

Edited by bcgold

Handy Don
On 11/17/2020 at 5:54 PM, tom2p said:

on a related note 

the new Apple MacBook Pro is now available with the new Apple M1 chip (instead of Intel)

faster - and more efficient 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-macbook-pro-13-review-m1-processor-versus-intel-140006846.html

Picked up my wife's new MacBook Air M1 on Friday and have been configuring and installing apps for her work and pleasure activities. It is noticeably faster and lasts longer on a charge than the Air I bought for myself in July (sigh--suppressed pangs of jealousy). She also got a pair of AirPod Pro earphones. She finds that they stay in just fine and are comfortable for extended wearing during conference calls and garden weeding sessions. We got our first Macintosh in 1986 (it had 1mb of memory and a single 70kb floppy disk) and have had been using them ever since.

FWIW, Adobe hasn't got its apps fully converted yet to run on the M1 natively, some parts of MS Office 365 are still running through the emulation as well, and at one point an install script confounded the installer application so I had to uninstall and start over but these glitches won't last long (there is already an update to MacOS 11 out) and so far everything seems to be working well for us. My wife is a bit aggravated at the conversion to USB-C from her trusted magnetic power connection and the loss of the SD card slot that she was so used to on her 8 year old Air -- I remained silent -- but she does like the external multi-use adaptor I got her (Satachi) that does the external monitor, SD, and older USB connections as well as a USB-C for charging. We also subscribed to a paid iCloud storage account so now we have to get our "disk attic" sorted as we transfer stuff.

@bcgold when you open the docs in a viewer like Adobe Acrobat (yes, a subscription-level reader) it'll usually show the mispelings (sic) and let you fix them.  I usually try MS Word or Apple's Pages so I can also tweak formatting when it really matters.  Carry on!

bc.gold

Bye bye 10, hello my good friend Linux.

Installation question, would you like to partition this drive to install Linux  to coexist alongside windows or dedicate the whole drive to Linux.

All files will be lost, I say good riddance to 10.

I've had enough aggravation in the past 30 days to last several life times, win 10 home edition is a waste of time, its inapplicable of any serious work projects.

My latest beef, music files on a self produced CD by my late friend Ken Holmberg when saved to windows the file extension gets saved as a CDA.

For instance what you get is a file named track 1.cda with out the meat, no music. You need to rip the file and save in another format, more bloat.

Linux will save the full contents of Ken's music files and play them as well, no need to rip.

RandyLittrell

I have an old HP windows 7 model that I received from my Mom when she bought a new windows 10 computer. It's a core I5 with 8 gigs of ram. 

I pulled the old hard drive out and put an SSD and downloaded a fresh copy of windows 10 from microsoft. It was a free download and its really fast compared to the old 7 system.. Loading a fresh copy from microsoft got rid of the bloatware than comes on new computers.

I am super happy with it!! 

I think I spent about $50 on the SSD and thats it! 

Randy

bc.gold
13 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

I have an old HP windows 7 model that I received from my Mom when she bought a new windows 10 computer. It's a core I5 with 8 gigs of ram. 

I pulled the old hard drive out and put an SSD and downloaded a fresh copy of windows 10 from microsoft. It was a free download and its really fast compared to the old 7 system.. Loading a fresh copy from microsoft got rid of the bloatware than comes on new computers.

I am super happy with it!! 

I think I spent about $50 on the SSD and thats it! 

Randy

Your performance gain came from the SSD, as for win 10 it's like looking into an empty shoe box.

Give it a couple of months after a couple of MS security tweeks the bloat and unwanted app installs begins.

RandyLittrell
2 hours ago, bcgold said:

Your performance gain came from the SSD, as for win 10 it's like looking into an empty shoe box.

Give it a couple of months after a couple of MS security tweeks the bloat and unwanted app installs begins.

It's been a year now with no trouble.

Randy

bc.gold
On 12/17/2020 at 1:56 PM, RandyLittrell said:

It's been a year now with no trouble.

Randy

I'm glad it meets your needs.

• Like 1