formariz

Large treadle grindstone build

ebinmaine

Excellent work. 

In the old days they were multi purpose. 

You could sharpen items while waiting for the daughter's potential suitor to arrive and when that happened you just kept grinding away.

Staring at the suitor. 

Not. Saying. A. Word. ......

Kept your tools razor sharp and inappropriate humans at bay. 

Looking forward to seeing more progress pics. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

SylvanLakeWH

Beautiful work!

Question: The legs seem close together relative to the height for stability. Is that an optical illusion?

ebinmaine

My Grampa had one that was predominantly made out of metal instead of wood.  Same basic design as far as not being very wide.

His had a stone that was probably 15 or 18 inches diameter and at least 3" wide.

The full weight of that stone was probably set 20% from one end and then the operator sat at the other so there was bunches and bunches of downward ballast.

It was pedal driven and I do remember needing to be conscious about pushing down on the pedals without moving your body back and forth on the seat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I've always wanted one of them for a lawn ornament but hard to find and when do $$$$$ ! 

:text-coolphotos: when done please. 

• Like 2

Pullstart
12 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I've always wanted one of them for a lawn ornament but hard to find and when do $$$$$ ! 

:text-coolphotos: when done please. 

the first time I ever saw one, it was just that.  I wished I could have saved it and put it to use!

WHNJ701

Very cool, I guess 2 years ago someone down the road had one and drug it the side of the road with a big free sign.  I stopped and got it.  Wow that stone was heavy!  Of course after getting into the truck the guy comes out and asked if I needed help.  I gave it to the old man, he pieced it back together in his yard.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Great Thread. I have a stone (no hardware) I saved and have always intended to build a base for it

formariz
4 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Beautiful work!

Question: The legs seem close together relative to the height for stability. Is that an optical illusion?

I have been experimenting with different angles. I want it to be higher than they usually are, since the standard height that they were made at is too low for me and most people. Its uncomfortable to have your back bent for a long period of time when using them. I have intentionally left it a little too tall but some of it will also be cut when feet are scribed to floor . Legs are splayed in both directions, and right now it is very stable without weight. Today stone will go on it for a final test determining stability. There is also additional substantial bracing to go on it which seems to be something that most lack hence all kinds of rigging one sees on them. I also don't want it to be too cumbersome  to the point that when walking next to it one stumbles on bottom of legs. Treadle still has to go on  it which will make it even wider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz

A little progress on it today. It’s rock solid with stone on which is massive at 22” diameter. Wheel pops right off to allow legs to go on floor when in use. I am going to have to rethink that idea. It works great on an even surface like the shop by just pushing it dragging back legs but it’s too dangerous to try and use it like a wheel barrow. Two wheels would be good. Next will be one more brace , treadle and adjustable tool rests.

I might also add a water trough.

990D5953-AB90-4360-B476-A5D1409BD348.jpeg.93b667f7c789515e409183b5b2390ce6.jpeg

E44E9E41-0006-4F48-BEE5-2B9A4D50828B.jpeg.b42ece01aa04e403ef7576ea123e40cd.jpeg

8637347C-4734-4AA6-9D08-0CA4D8360139.jpeg.9f9231bc92630cacf3584c447199d95f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, formariz said:

water trough.

The one my Grampa had... Interesting...

There was a metal "rod" that went up beside the wheel. Old tin cup hanging off the rod. 

formariz
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The one my Grampa had... Interesting...

There was a metal "rod" that went up beside the wheel. Old tin cup hanging off the rod. 

Two schools of thought regarding that. Water is used to cool tool being ground. As one uses wheel it wears and produces a dust which combined with water turns into a slurry. Such slurry actually speeds the grinding of the tool metal. If wheel goes through a trough with water it washes slurry away. Drip can will not do that. One also needs to drain water after use as not to warp wheel from the localized submersion.

• Like 3

ebinmaine

That is interesting information that I was not aware of.

Another little reason why I love this website so much.

• Like 2

formariz

37 minutes ago, formariz said:

Such slurry actually speeds the grinding of the tool metal.

Referring now to honing stones such as the ones used to hone chisels and knives, Japanese water stones which are relatively expensive and very effective actually cut the steel using that very process of creating slurry. If one washes away the slurry they actually do not cut very well. That is why they are messy to use since one needs  not only to keep slurry on them but has to constantly drip water onto them so they do not dry. They also wear fast and have to frequently be dressed flat.

• Like 1

formariz

Getting there . Got seat worked out. It’s adjustable back and forth and readily  removable when not in use. It can be used on either side .Perfect height to use it standing and sitting is very comfortable also keeping back straight and correct distance to wheel. I can mount it with no worries no movement whatsoever.

got treadle worked out. Coming up with some fully adjustable tool rests.

E4CF2EA7-D3AB-4AAE-8C10-B906954C1E76.jpeg.09cc8a0cf6d113d7d9cc7dbbfeb218eb.jpeg

E32ECCA4-C23A-4B51-B15C-9A193B4A7407.jpeg.c96a45cc04845767c0400df04318f1ce.jpeg

88E21A9E-1526-4DE6-9B3B-6018182BF9AD.jpeg.d9bebc3829fe28a8b38659adf27c3d15.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

Did you steam the piece of wood to make the arch ?

formariz
39 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Did you steam the piece of wood to make the arch ?

No, I was too lazy to do that. I just placed it in the creek for a day and bent it. I am not totally happy with it and may change it since I need another one anyway.

• Like 1

formariz
On 11/12/2020 at 9:18 AM, oliver2-44 said:

Great Thread. I have a stone (no hardware) I saved and have always intended to build a base for it

Thank you. You can easily build the hardware for it using four bearings duplicating original or just make a bearing out of wood and a bushing.

oliver2-44

I currently have too many projects, but you've really got my interest. I had to go dig my wheel out.  it's roughly 16" diameter, 2" wide and the hole in the middle is 2-1/4" square.   

@formarizCan you see behind your center metal piece if yours has a round or square hole through the stone? 

1299102506_IMG_46101.JPG.52dca62bece03a0247f069be79904d6c.JPG1949607670_IMG_46111.JPG.1594ea40fc7e7bea0c6a6d7f18abc609.JPG

I've forgotten that mine has the large chip out of it. It would still make a good display piece. It came from my in-laws farm and probable came from her grandparents farm or some other old farmstead around there.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

formariz
1 hour ago, oliver2-44 said:

Can you see behind your center metal piece if yours has a round or square hole through the stone?

I cannot see it but I am pretty sure it is a round hole. Yours is extremely old. I have come across some like that. The best way to do it keeping with its age, is to get a billet of hardwood to match size of hole and turn the ends round. Make two bearings out of same wood with flanges to screw onto stand. You can adapt a handle to one side or a small elbow for a treadle.

If you want to make hardware out of metal just fit a square piece of wood in hole and drill center.

ebinmaine

@oliver2-44

AWESOME

Oldskool

Excellent rainy day project. Really nice work.

Zeek

Very cool project! Nice work :handgestures-thumbsup:

formariz
3 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

From a favorite site:

Great site thank you.

• Like 1