echris

Are any of you guys into electronics?

echris

When my neighbor Dave finds a cool tool on the cheap, he buys 10 and gives at least 7 away. I'm usually number 2 or 3 on his list. :lol:

He gave me this cheapo capacitor/resistor/transistor tester a few years ago. 

A great find, on the cheap!

• Like 4

troutbum70

I would like a neighbor like Dave, handy pocket tool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

echris
2 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

One of the first times I asked to borrow a tool from my best neighbor Grandpa Uncle Dave he said to me and I quote, "What? You don't have one of these? Here keep it."
When I replied, "I just need to borrow it for 20 minutes or so." 
He said, "I ain't giving you nothing I don't have ten of. Keep it."
I'd come to find out this was true. He really has about 4-30 of everything.
No really, everything.

How many of us have a box in our shop labeled "Carbon"? 
Dave does.

Nobody knows why.

Not even Dave.
Except, "Well maybe one day I'll need a block of carbon." - Grandpa Uncle Dave.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

I know what you meant but I keep thinking it would be handy to keep Dave in your pocket. :lol:

I learned a "rule" from auto techs years ago. 

The guys would borrow a tool once. If they needed to borrow it again they'd buy it. 

Seemed like a good system. 

When purchasing nowadays, Trina and I give consideration to a tool by whether or not we'd use it again in a year or three. 

We would rather learn how to do something ourselves than pay others to perform the work but some things aren't worth the initial investment or... Need a license to do. Like plumbing..... @JCM is handy to have around... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

formariz

I am and have been since a teen  into high end audio equipment . For my vintage tube amplifiers I had this device made that allows me to check and set the bias on the output tubes all at the same time. It can be set individually for each tube by switching the others off or check them in pairs for each channel. It has an additional set of special adapter sockets specially wired for 7591 tubes like

the Scott uses. It can be left connected while amplifier is in use to monitor bias as tubes get hotter.

8B0B8D62-62E4-45DC-B2F1-1CAAB736ED17.jpeg.397ae908cded889ba83f62d30127336e.jpeg

64670FF4-A268-4A10-BE67-0F1BE97AA54A.jpeg.bf8afa829190b070ac3da6835b03312b.jpeg

5CC5DDC2-F895-4967-B9CE-B9319D39AE2D.jpeg.f2018774699f4ca83fe4fb7abb166abe.jpegBA04D0CD-77FF-4F78-9CEF-489FD0E1048F.jpeg.c5ceb0d741fd79fa4c5e3212e1d376c8.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

echris

@formariz You and Grandpa Uncle Dave would get along just fine. Back in the day, he worked for MacIntosh in Binghampton NY. He still has all sorts of high-end Mac audio hardware. Including a few of the ugliest tube power amps you've even seen. But they're all built from scrap MacIntosh parts and sound absolutely amazing!

I've been into electronics my entire life, Dad was an electrical engineer and taught me just about everything, but my "Best Neighbor Grandpa Uncle Dave™ " taught me about 20 years ago or so that a quality amp paired with quality speakers doesn't require much wattage. He had a watt meter hooked up inline and our ears were about bleeding at somewhere around 2 watts at the output of his MacIntosh receiver. B)

formariz
59 minutes ago, echris said:

@formariz You and Grandpa Uncle Dave would get along just fine. Back in the day, he worked for MacIntosh in Binghampton NY. He still has all sorts of high-end Mac audio hardware. Including a few of the ugliest tube power amps you've even seen. But they're all built from scrap MacIntosh parts and sound absolutely amazing!

I've been into electronics my entire life, Dad was an electrical engineer and taught me just about everything, but my "Best Neighbor Grandpa Uncle Dave™ " taught me about 20 years ago or so that a quality amp paired with quality speakers doesn't require much wattage. He had a watt meter hooked up inline and our ears were about bleeding at somewhere around 2 watts at the output of his MacIntosh receiver. B)

Mcintosh is king here. My favorite stereo equipment. Pretty much what everything else is judged against.

IMG_1678.JPG.b15b17b048f68009c3e79e9f83ad9ab9.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG.e92f1162a49f760d381b897c44133a36.JPG

• Heart 1

echris

Haha, you and Grandpa Uncle Dave would be best buds. 

I'm going to send him your Mac pics.

He'll likely reply both fascination and a remark like;

"Hey, on the 2201, it looks like that lower left toggle is from the 1973 model. It shouldn't have a 3349-I, it should have a 3332-I. 
I have about 10-20 if he wants one."

I'm completely making up part number's but you get my drift...  :lol:

• Haha 1

echris
7 minutes ago, formariz said:

IMG_1026.JPG.e92f1162a49f760d381b897c44133a36.JPG

This is very similar to the Mac receiver Dave has in his shop when he did the Watts test.
No extra power amp, just paired correctly with quality speakers in ugly boxes.
Amazing sound quality.

formariz

This one is also in my shop coupled with Vintage Dynaco's A25s. Its part of the shop system and it is used everyday All of my equipment is vintage the newest being Carver components which are also vintage.

IMG_1681.JPG.8c5702127eb0ec9a385300e0bef60cf1.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG.4cc5c274e876f274fe21e41ff1d261a9.JPG

• Like 1

tom2p

my one kid is into electronics 

he repaired a few TVs - most just needed new capacitors (common Samsung TV issue)

he also has a vintage Sansui receiver he repaired (new capacitors etc)

0EB81976-23EF-499E-A992-55A152C3270E.jpeg

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Our in house (90s?) Pioneer tuner and multi disc cd changer. 

IMG_20201110_204049450.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I also have a nice vintage stereo in the outdoor workshop. 

I'll get pics sometime.....

echris

I have an entire Pioneer setup I had bought in the early 90's. It was sitting in closets until, well, I'll just say the ex finally left.

The kids and me setup that system, including a Technics turntable, with a fresh cartridge and needle, spinning some of my old classic rock records and they really got into it. 

So then we went to the local record store.

It now costs me a minimum of $100 when I take the kids to the record store to buy LP's.

LOL Mixed emotions...

formariz

Like tools I have these things being used all over the place. Got also this Pioneer from the 70’s in my tractor shop.

C6AF01CC-1470-4E9E-8384-44D55FA6E6A1.jpeg.5d8630d0d2f28ccf4e8a1c6820135709.jpeg