oliver2-44

2020 Deer Hunting

WHX??

The '08 barked at this little guy about 7 am on turkey day so I am tagged out. Not much for horns but trying to cull these scrub bucks & need more material for hat racks. :D

Cindy needs to buckle down now and fill hers. Was seeing a nice eight pointer. Trail  cam checks today. 

20201126_072233.jpg

16064863244841175211103.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Darb1964

They are the best eating, I'd take one every year.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Nice 11 pointer there Jim.      I might be tempted if he was legal here in PeeAaa.   We need at least 3 on a side and 4 in some areas.

I just took down the 270 Savage and 6 shells.  And laid out the orange for tomorrows opener.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Good luck Ed.... 3" minimum state wide to be called an antlered buck and only needs to be one if he is a unicorn.

The big news today is Cindy let the 308 bark about 4:15 PM. 75 yards and straight through  the boiler room. I am quite proud of her even tho is just a scrub buck. What was that about good eats Darb? 

I got some more pics and even a vid of the shoot if interested. 

We are definitely tagged out as far as using a gun in the Northwoods. 

20201127_161916.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell

No venison today.    I heard 37 shots this morning.  I saw one deer late this evening...too dark to ID.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

WHX??

Bear down Ed .... Whats the weather out there like? How long does your gun season last? 

Closed Spike Camp and headed home today....:sad-pacing:always the worst part...having to leave something you love so much. 

Used a horse to hang a deere ....:lol:to get ready for butchering tommorow.

Idea here Kev :techie-idea:.since my larder will be over flowing with backstraps going to shrink wrap a couple whole and have Dan smoke them for plow day next year!  I have another recipe for taking a whole loin and and season, barbeque sauce and onions, wrap in tin foil and grill slow cook. Maybe have to dig that one out and save some burger for PD so as you can make your chili. I am definitely going to be venison heavy! 

20201128_155103.jpg

Chill Randy @rjg854... told the Missus to remind  me as soon as we got get home to dig them out. She forgot to but I didn't forget this time!

He Pm'ed me fellas ribbing me about getting those set springs out he needs since I am tagged out! 

Well not exactly Randy, still have 12 doe tags for use with archery gear here in the central farmland zones!:hide: Goin to wait till mid-later Dec. to hunt again tho. Also special holiday hunt here late Dec ....4 days not weapon specific. 

20201128_164126.jpg

Edited by WHX24
speeling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

CINDAAAY!  Nice shot!  

WHX??

Lol  Kev ...I showed her your pronunciation of her name.... she says wonder where he got that from!?!?! ....and thank you! 

Couple of years ago already now she took the same distance shot on a scrub and he was pointed strait at her. With his head down. This is a very downhill shot from her stand mind you but she nailed it and she is not known for her sighting in shooting. Sighting in she is all over the board and I often throw my hands up but she almost always seems to come through on payday. I ain't the most patient coach either :hide: 

Fridays shot I was ther to coach her abit and even film it. 

She has a tendency to be too impatient and not let the harvest to turn for a broadside. Just ask that bear that came in '14 when she had a tag and she didn't wait! 

• Thanks 1

WHX??

BTW Ed... that meadow directly in back of Cindy we drag the deer down ther to field dress and gives us some  fantastic viewing of your eagles and other wildlife. Do you think this is a good practice due to the possibility of lead being present? I would value your and others thoughts. 

Darb1964
On 11/27/2020 at 7:06 PM, WHX24 said:

Good luck Ed.... 3" minimum state wide to be called an antlered buck and only needs to be one if he is a unicorn.

The big news today is Cindy let the 308 bark about 4:15 PM. 75 yards and straight through  the boiler room. I am quite proud of her even tho is just a scrub buck. What was that about good eats Darb? 

I got some more pics and even a vid of the shoot if interested. 

We are definitely tagged out as far as using a gun in the Northwoods. 

20201127_161916.jpg

That's awesome, I went out this afternoon, last day of archery, didn't see any. Shotgun starts Monday here Massachusetts, I didn't get out much, don't have the drive I did when I could do it right. I take a three inch spike Monday if given the opportunity,same in Massachusetts three inch, antlerless tags far and few in my zone. GOOD JOB!!

• Thanks 1

Darb1964
5 minutes ago, Darb1964 said:

That's awesome, I went out this afternoon, last day of archery, didn't see any. Shotgun starts Monday here Massachusetts, I didn't get out much, don't have the drive I did when I could do it right. I take a three inch spike Monday if given the opportunity,same in Massachusetts three inch, antlerless tags far and few in my zone. GOOD JOB!!

That's a perfect cull animal also, congratulations!

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

I find it hard to believe there would be enough lead present to be a danger to any of the scavengers.    It is standard practice to" field" dress game here in PeeAaa and the remains are usually gone the next morning.      I have never heard any concern from Game commission biologists.

Pee Aaa is and always has been a one buck tag per year per hunter.   The buck tag can be used during archery  season starting  the first Sat. of Oct.  for seven weeks, rifle season,  Sat. after Thanksgiving for two weeks, and archery/flintlock season Dec. 26 for three weeks.   A legal buck is 3 on a side state wide with some special areas where 4 on a side is required.

For junior hunters under 16yoa, a 3" spike buck is legal.

The state is divided into 22 wildlife management areas.   Past harvest surveys, crop damage, deer/auto insurance claims, etc. are used to manage the doe herd and the doe tags are assigned  to WMUs based on this data.  The doe tags are purchased for a specific  WMU. through the County treasurer.       Doe tags can be filled during any archery, flintlock, and usually the second week of buck rifle season.   There is a special doe only hunt during the early archery season  where  doe tags may be filled with an inline muzzle loader.  That's when I filled my one doe tag.   There is also a 3 day old timers hunt during the early archery season where a 65yo or older may use a rifle to fil doe tags.

That's it in a paragraph Jim.    When you add in the small game, turkey, bear, elk, and trapping , the  game laws, seasons, and licensing procedure are so complicated  you better have a covey of lawyers available to keep you legal.

Weather was 40-60 and sunny today and tomorrow.    Rain forecast for Monday .... may be a chore catch up day for me.  Then the cold rolls in Tue.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

WHX??
24 minutes ago, Darb1964 said:

, I didn't get out much, don't have the drive I did when I could do it right.  GOOD JOB!!

Thank you Darbs... I know what you mean about the drive. As I slowly inch, or so it seems,  toward retirement I find it strangely the drive is coming back i had in my younger days. 

Very interesting Ed one of the reasons I like these threads, thank you @oliver2-44, is to learn about regulations in other states and see how they regulate game laws which of course must be in place to preserve our heritage and future gatherers. I know our DNR (dept of natural resources ) watches what other states do and try and adapt others states laws to our regions. 

Some years ago our government hired a well known whitetail biologist, Dr Kroll I think his name was,  from TX to come up here and tell us what we were screwing up. He visited many camps and the gist of his findings were 

25 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

the  game laws, seasons, and licensing procedure are so complicated 

Thankfully WI somehow managed to take some of his suggestions and brought our laws and licenseing  up to par but still a few things to work out.

One thing I like is the ability to be able to use weapon of choice, archery, rifle, smoke pole etc during mulitple dates and or seasons. In most cases we are alllowed one  buck tag for for each archery and gun season so if a gun tag goes unfilled during the traditional nine day gun hunt one can use that tag for the for the following two week front stuffer only hunt. 

• Like 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, Darb1964 said:

That's a perfect cull animal also, congratulations!

QDM, qualtity deer management, is what they call it it here Darbs. ... and I guess it works if all the adjacent  landowners are on the same page. Cull the scrubs  and let the ones with the good genetics grow. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

Momma’s sore but recovering well from her surgery.  It’s been since Tuesday since anyone has been in the field.  I’ll sit 3 hours between med schedule and see what luck comes my way.  Tomorrow is the end of “shotgun” season here in MI.  4 day grace period then muzzle loading AKA Uncle Jim’s smoke pole time!  

5E7B92C6-E5AB-4993-9E6F-A72328729536.jpeg

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

Not much to report.     Rain till noon on Monday so I scratched a few items off the "honey-do".    Saw two doe at dusk.

Today was cold, windy, and snow squaws.   I was in the tree from 6-9 am  and 3-6 pm.    Zero deer.     

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Not much to report.     Rain till noon on Monday so I scratched a few items off the "honey-do".    Saw two doe at dusk.

Today was cold, windy, and snow squaws.   I was in the tree from 6-9 am  and 3-6 pm.    Zero deer.     

Can’t see ‘em I’d you’re not in the tree!  Go get ‘em Ed!

• Like 1

WHX??

Fruits of our labor..... butterflied backstraps marinated in a recipe I have. Basically  red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, cracked black pepper, & Worcester, Couple of steaks thrown in for drill which she said were kinda tough.... now I don't know about that, melted in my mouth, maybe her dentures were given her grief..... kidding she doesn't have them! 

Still have yet to bring in a sausage & burger doe but have a week or so yet with the bow. 

Another thing I want to do is take the football roasts out of the hinds. We brine them in maple cure, be carefull not to over brine they get salty, then smoke them & slice thin for Reubens and chipped veni  on toast! 

Trying to make room in the freezer and had one lb of burger left over from last year so what better way than to make some Cajun jerky!?!? 

I love a heavy smoke flavor but Cindy doesn't but if she's not lookin will give it a dash of bottled hickory flavor. :)

20201220_170403.jpg

20201220_173804.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 3

WVHillbilly520H

Its been 2 years since I pulled the trigger on that 10 point I posted above... Nothing since, last year was working for a place that had "vacation blackout" from Labor day to December and only got out Wednesday before Thanksgiving this year.

Darb1964

I have not been out much, primitive firearms until the end of the year. The snow is deep from the snow storm last week.They seem to be heading to the yards by the track's I've seen crossing the roads. I may try one or two day's if it worms up a little. Not into setting in the woods, temps in the twenties, with a stiff wind, any more for a deer. I didn't think I'd ever get old enough to make that statement.GOOD luck

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

No wall hangers here.    I did take a doe in the early muzzle loader season and passed on a young 8 point in the rifle season.   Now waiting for the late flintlock season that opens Dec 26.

• Like 1

rmaynard
15 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Fruits of our labor..... butterflied backstraps marinated in a recipe I have. Basically  red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, cracked black pepper, & Worcester...

I don't hunt, but I do like venison stick with cheese and jalapeño. However, by brother-in-law filled my freezer with backstraps a couple years ago. I tried various methods of cooking them, including several marinades recommended by venison connoisseurs. I just could not get them to cook into anything that did not resembled shoe leather. Even the neighbors dog turned his nose up and walked away. I ended up throwing the whole freezer load out. 

• Sad 2

WVHillbilly520H
40 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

I don't hunt, but I do like venison stick with cheese and jalapeño. However, by brother-in-law filled my freezer with backstraps a couple years ago. I tried various methods of cooking them, including several marinades recommended by venison connoisseurs. I just could not get them to cook into anything that did not resembled shoe leather. Even the neighbors dog turned his nose up and walked away. I ended up throwing the whole freezer load out. 

Backstrap usually doesn't last long enough to end up in the freezer here, my go to for preparing/cooking is a very simple 1)soak in milk or not , 2) couple eggs beaten drag the thinly sliced pieces through the egg then dredge in seasoned Italian bread crumbs (add salt, pepper or other preferred spice to taste if you choose) 3) skillet of hot oil (much like frying chicken) 1-3 minutes per side flip repeat 4) lay out on a plate with paper towels to rest and drain , basically cooked to medium well (just slightly pink center) ... Not tough/chewy ,more like a good ole mom and pop southern diner pork tenderloin sandwich.   Now I have tried eel fresh out of the skillet was really good albeit stringy, later (a hour or so) cold it was like chewing on Hubba Bubba gum.

• Like 1

rmaynard

If mine had been anywhere near what you described, I'd be happy. I guess the guy this was butchered from must have been working out at the gym. I can cook a New York strip steak to perfection. 1" thick, grilled at 450 degrees, 6 minutes on the first side, then flip and 4 minutes on the other. Perfect medium rare. I think that the difference must be the amount of fat marbled into the meat. Venison has practically none. Now I must say that ground venison is okay. Don't like it in burgers, but in spaghetti sauce, goulash, tacos, or mixed 50/50 with beef in meatloaf, it's hard to tell the difference

• Like 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

did not resembled shoe leather.

That's odd Bob... the ones I had last night dang near cut with a butter knife. They were 100% meat with no marbling. 

Lots of guys when they make burger they cut it with say 25% pork fat as everyone knows pork fat rules. I don't as then you can't make jerky if it's got fat in it. 

When Cindy makes chili, spaghetti or meatloaf she'll cut it with pork sausage.  

• Like 3