ebinmaine

Inexpensive digital camera recommendations?

ebinmaine

Many of you are well aware of the photographic eye that Trina possesses. Everything that you've seen so far has been done with either her smart phone or mine.

I've been thinking about picking up a very inexpensive digital camera for her to use which would make it easier for her to zoom in on things.

I know there's a fair amount on the market out there for $200 or a lot less that could help her. 

Any thoughts, recommendations, something you use?

lynnmor

I use a Samsung like this one.  I believe it has been replaced with another model.  Know that the digital zoom feature is nothing, if you will be editing the photos later, look for the most optical zoom that fits your budget.  Canon makes a good camera and the one listing for $259 would be on my short list with its 21X zoom.

• Like 2

johnnymag3

I like my Canon...249.00 Has more Zoom and or options than most...Best of all its simplicity is well appreciated. Has removable card...fits thousands of pictures, and can erase them too. !! Comes with extra battery, charger, stand for video..and timer delay for those who never seem to get into the picture

John

• Like 1

WHNJ701

What's a digital camera? They still make them

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:You want EB I'll sent you a couple for free she can play with. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

:text-yeahthat:You want EB I'll sent you a couple for free she can play with. 

You're on!

She's too chea... uhhhhhh... Frugal to buy a phone with a better camera in it so I figured I'd get her a digital camera...

• Like 1

WHX??

I'll dig them out and send em over. Ones a older Kodak and took pretty good pics the other one is a Samsung. I think my phone takes better pics but I never played with all the settings. I'll make sure the sd cards have some pictures on them of some one shooting the moon! :lol:

This pics I know were taken with the Kodak.....

004.jpg

100_0750.JPG

I forget what the MPs are but not to bad for an older camera. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3

ebinmaine

You send them over with whatever pics you want in there but just be sure I'm going to show them ALL to Plunge... @JCM

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

You let me know what the freight charges are and I'll toss a few coins back at you

• Like 2

Stormin

I've a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ80. Very compact and simple to use. (If you know how and I'm sure Trina will) Does videos as well. Wasn't expensive either or wouldn't have bought it.

• Like 1

WHX??

Plunger will like these then..I know he likes to fish ...This is my kid my how he has grown!!! All taken with the Kodak,

100_1270.jpg

100_1375.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell

I use a Kodak PixPro fz152    It's small but has 15X optical and 60X digital zoom.     Has removable SD card so i check pics on trail cameras and erase one or all on any card.

• Like 3

bc.gold

Samsung Galaxy, first image top left highway sign barely visible, second shot full zoom. I love this camera as it lets me see old tractors in farm yards without physically trespassing.

Camera has Bluetooth and WIFI a  web browser and email plus you can install many apps from the play store, i also use Zoiper a soft-phone app configured to our voip account which allows the camera to be used as a telephone on any available WIFI hot spot.

The Bluetooth is paired with my OBDII engine code reader running on a play store app.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

rmaynard

Bear in mind that I now have some pretty cool Nikon camera equipment, and have had an interest in cameras and photography since the late 1950's. My first experience with digitals though was my Sony Mavica. It used 3.5" floppy disks for memory. Then I graduated to Canon SureShots. Next was my Nikon which I still used until the 2018 WHCC show. But with the advent of great lenses and software in my cellphone, I've ditched all the compact digitals and only use my phone. One less thing to carry. Just my :twocents-02cents: worth.

johnnymag3
5 hours ago, jabelman said:

What's a digital camera? They still make them

For people that pay more a month than a nice digital camera.....for the cell phone that is....I have a flip, its 25 dollars a month, free text and calls

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

My  flipper Trac-Fone costs $120/year for service and all the minutes I need.        Yeah, it's old and dumb.....just what I need.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHNJ701

This google pixel phone takes the best pics better than any digital I ever used.  Interesting enough I took a random photo of an abandoned house awhile back, looked cool and everyone else liked picture, I saw sign for a photo contest and guess what it won 1st prize.  Now if anyone asks me photography questions or if I over heard conversation, I start off by saying "as an award winning photographer...."

• Haha 2

WHX??

You get one of these Jabel? :lol:

christmas-story-45-inch-full-size-leg-lamp-box-1000-web_2_720x.jpg

• Excellent 1

WHNJ701
1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

You get one of these Jabel? :lol:

christmas-story-45-inch-full-size-leg-lamp-box-1000-web_2_720x.jpg

Fra gee lay, must be italian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

johnnymag3

cell phone=====160 a month....Flip....priceless     25.00

Lane Ranger
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Many of you are well aware of the photographic eye that Trina possesses. Everything that you've seen so far has been done with either her smart phone or mine.

I've been thinking about picking up a very inexpensive digital camera for her to use which would make it easier for her to zoom in on things.

I know there's a fair amount on the market out there for $200 or a lot less that could help her. 

Any thoughts, recommendations, something you use?

I have two That I have used for ten years or more.  At the Big Wheel Horse Show I usually take my Nikon S3100 pocket digital camera which has a 5 power zoom but 14 megapixels.   I can buy these used in hood working condition for less than $60 on eBay.  They take great quality pictures and easy to use and charge etc.  You  can use big cards in to hold lots of pictures.

My other hood camera is my Kodak z760 which is a ten power zoom with many different settings.  Not sure you can still get Kodak software downloads but these can be purchased for less than $125 on eBay.

Like Bob Maynard says I also use my I phone and I have an I phone 10 now that takes great pictures and you can store lots.  Three different lenses and many settings.  

my favorite. Overall is the Nikon S3100.

all the images are from the I phone 10.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
15 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

cell phone=====160 a month....

Anybody who's anywhere near that needs to renegotiate. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

So folks, let me toss up the question just a bit.

In particular for an Android user like Trina and I both are, is there a cell phone that could be bought without spending a zillion dollars that would get some decent magnification and not come out all grainy?

I don't actually know what the magnification is on her own phone but I think it's around 8x??

The problem is when you magnify more than about four or five it really doesn't deal well with it. 

johnnymag3
28 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Anybody who's anywhere near that needs to renegotiate. 

Going Rate here is just that....some are more....Mines 25.00 for a flip phone with Verizon, and I use a Canon for pics